Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, skipepsi said:

Bob Dylan?

Yeah mann....

image.png.f5e40f9a667d33f2f72ef6ce5e92ae51.png

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 11

3 hours ago, SM42 said:

We do after all work to live, not live to work.

Visitors to our fair and sun-kissed land simultaneously remark on our friendly laid-back lifestyle while at the same time bemoaning the fact that they can't get a coffee after 5pm or something. They do not realise that one thing begats the other, we are laid back and happy precisely because when 5pm comes we knock off and go to the beach or walk the dog or practice our leg spin. 

Working hours that cut into our relaxation time are paid at penalty rates - time and a half, double or triple time, called penalty rates because they penalise any workplace that expects us to slave away at night or on the weekend or whenever we should be at home or at the pub, being served by others who are in turn being paid penalty rates to do so. 

And as a bonus to encourage us to not go to work, we get paid an extra 17.5% on top of our normal pay  when we are on holidays.  And and and, if we make 10 years in the job we get an extra 3 months off on full pay. "Long Service Leave" - Thats the law!

Ostraya - workers paradise, mate.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

Crikey, people in Singapore would feint at the idea of life being relaxed 😆 Life here isn't bad actually,  it's nothing like Japan or Korea but it's a little more pressured than Europe, somewhere between the two. 

The biggest difference seems to be in education and the civil service. I find business culture not that different from the UK, dress code is more relaxed and there's a little more focus on productivity but nothing dramatic. However kids can be put under ridiculous pressure and if I compare the Singapore MPA with their UK and European equivalents it is night and day. The MPA pays for good people but demands high performance in return.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, pH said:

It’s called ‘face time’.

I know a Brit in the oil industry who moved to work in that industry in the US. He was accused of not pulling his weight based on the time (the required hours) he was visible in the office. He replied that the person accusing him should look at the amount and quality of the work he was accomplishing, compared with what was being done by people spending 50% more time in the office. Nothing more was ever said about it.

When we had a US Navy crew on exchange with the squadron I was on they were on my flight. Towards the end of the leave year I noticed that they both had leave entitlement outstanding so I suggested that they take it as soon as possible. They were both amazed at the idea of taking all their allowed leave as back in the USN that would be seen as not being proper team players.

Dave

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

5 hours ago, newbryford said:

You do.

Barry's middle name is Blue, so he hasn't been totally renamed!

If he decides to stay, and you call him by his middle name, will he be “Blue by you”? 

• Funny 13

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I think she sang a lot of his songs.  At one time I believe they were an item. 

She was probably responsible for boosting his early career by performing some of his songs. 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

When we had a US Navy crew on exchange with the squadron I was on they were on my flight. Towards the end of the leave year I noticed that they both had leave entitlement outstanding so I suggested that they take it as soon as possible. They were both amazed at the idea of taking all their allowed leave as back in the USN that would be seen as not being proper team players.

Dave

Our friend in Connecticut had been in the USNavy and then banking/finance. His wife said it was impossible to get him to commit to  holidays and he had no idea of whatever leave he had owing, and his colleagues were similar. 
Tony

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

Interestingly, in the company where I spent a good twenty years or so, I was never promoted (no sniggering in the back), but there was no need for promotion to empty titles as the company had a very, very flat structure (just 4 people between me and the head of of drug development [there were two other groups: marketing and manufacturing] and I knew them all by name).

Promotion, as it was in the company, came in the form of increasing responsibility, authority and a concomitant salary. So I started out basically being allowed to look at a clinical trial only if properly chaperoned and not without training wheels and ended up designing and running entire development programmes, interfacing (I believe that is the current "buzz" word) with key opinion leaders, regulatory agencies and being able to spend up to £500,000 on my signature alone. Oh, and I had a pretty decent salary). Everyone above me had done my job and so knew exactly what I was doing (or should have been doing😁) and therefore were great to work for (and they were prepared to "roll up their sleeves" and pitch in when it was needed.

It wasn't perfect, but absolute heaven compared to the US based company I also worked for briefly...

• Like 17

21 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

A bit of a heart stopping moment on the way up to Cheshire Oaks this morning.

Northbound on the A442, just south of the Peplow crossroads there are a series of bends with little visibility of the road ahead.

I was about 75m behind an HGV and doing around 50 mph, when in the mirror I spotted a white BMW  X1 (it just had to be) come up behind us and edge over the line to have a look for an overtaking opportunity.

Did he wait long enough to see if the road was truly clear?

Did he hell, and powered up to pass us. Just before he he was level with us, a loaded flatbed truck appeared in the oncoming lane.

Fortunately I'd already anticipated other traffic and was already coming off the gas, but it was still a very rapid controlled stop from 45 mph to 0, whilst the flatbed was horns, light and smoke coming off his wheels.

The BMW just got back in front of me before the lorry came to a stop alongside my car.

I looked up at the poor truck driver and just shook my head.

Had I not slowed, then stopped which created space, I am certain that the BMW driver would have tried to steer into my path in order to get out of the way of the truck, which would then have hit him into us.  There is no doubt in my mind that it would have been a fatal collision.

Still, I was able to proceed knowing the BMW driver would need a fresh change of trousers when he got to his destination.

Did he make much ground over us?  No of course, he remained behind the HGV I'd been following and we passed him on the roundabout at the junction of the A442/A53 at Hodnet.

Had the car been fitted with a dashcam, then, I would have definitely uploaded the footage to the OP Snap police website.

Ironically, I bought two pairs of trousers ( Skipepsi! one for each pair of legs🤣) at CO, but can report they were not for emergency usage!

Wot no socks.

• Like 4
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

Being happy at work is very important. We spend 35+ hours a week at work (and for some it's a big +), that's a significant part of our waking hours. I feel huge sympathy for those in jobs they hate because it's the best deal they can get, it's easy for me to recommend that people should get a job they like but it's not that simple and for many it is a case of needs must.

On the other hand I know a few people who persist in jobs they hate because of the financial reward and who whinge constantly.  To be clear making a decision that a job is awful but the financial reward means it is worth putting up with is a perfectly reasonable decision, but it is a decision. These aren't people in financial difficulty and they could take a big hit and still have what most people would consider to be a high income. 

So when they whinge it kind of annoys me, these aren't people who have a choice between a low paid, hard job or unemployment. When I left the merchant navy I lost well over £1000 a month, twenty years ago. That was a big drop for me but both Mrs JJB and I wanted me to be at home more and we wanted children, she accepted it meant trimming our spending and making some lifestyle sacrifices. A good friend is still at sea and hates it but as a senior chief engineer on gas carriers he is well paid (he is on a six figure salary, tax free) and works six months a year. Every now and again I tell him if he hates it as much as he claims then leave and do something else, but if he has decided the pay and leave outweigh the negatives then he should acknowledge that and stop whinging. That leads him to be a bit less negative for a while (at least to me).

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

After a particularly bad year when he was working stupid hours and his health, not to say his family, was suffering as a result he told them that he had to have more support and personnel but despite empty promises they did nothing.

I'm not a great one for quoting the Bible, but it does offer the following words of wisdom:

"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is shareholder value."

• Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

I count myself as very lucky.  For most of my career I loved the work.  Though I dealt with many stressful jobs outside, most stress came when I was in the station rather than out.  That was mainly induced by management.  Though the last couple of years were not good I still count myself lucky. I've got my health and my family and my hobbies.  

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• RMweb Gold

It looks like it will be another fine day, so I am gearing up for the final section of hedge that needs trimming.

Last night, prior to a glass of Dalwhinnie's Winter Gold, I extracted some thorn tips out of my fingers.  They had taken up lodgings since my last hedging operation.

The first came out very easily on the tip of a scalpel blade.  The second needed the attention of the regimental surgeon, so blood was spilled.

A further excuse for the DWG 'to calm my fragile nerves'.

Nyda said: 'That's wasn't a further excuse, it was just any old excuse to open the bottle!'

Talk about semantics!

At least the bottle got opened and was duly sampled.

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3