Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Hroth said:

Or the difference between the Salvation Army woman and the nun in the bath.

Then there's the one about the nuns, the bicycles and the cobbled road.

Though that doesn't involve soap...

It:s going to get a bit crowded in the sin bin. 

Jamie

• Agree 9
  • Funny 3

On 03/02/2024 at 04:21, J. S. Bach said:

I tried some Guinness ........................ once! ☹️

Ah, but did you have it in Dublin?

I can (fairly) authoritatively say that the rumours are true: the Guinness you get in Dublin is unlike (and better than) what they export.

Rather a crafty move, IMHO, convincing the world that the lesser stuff is superb, but secretly keeping the really good stuff for themselves…

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

21 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Nyda is off out today at a Girlguiding UK training event.

Foolishly, she did not leave a tasking order.

Sensibly, I think carrying out some shopping and cleaning might be a wise option.

You were in the Army, weren’t you, HH?

I thought Rule No. 1 (no matter the rank) was “never volunteer for anything

• Agree 5
  • Funny 6

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Mention of the weather seems to have upset the wind god.  The wind speed has been picking up since early evening and is now gusting. It is literally whistling and moaning around hippodrome. 

I do hope it dies down by tomorrow, as I have 6 fence panels to replace.  I really don't want to be on the top of my work platform with a 5' x 6' sail in my hand.

Been there, done that. Mind you it'd be 'amusing' - other emotions are available, to see a Hippo go floating past. I'm sure though with your experience of 'air drops' you'd be able to come to a soft landing.

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Good morning folks,

I would be wary of mentioning hippos and air drops in the same sentence.

Otherwise, it may be more than the sin bin we're in!

Cheers, Nigel.

Edited by GMKAT7
Spelling!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

I can (fairly) authoritatively say that the rumours are true: the Guinness you get in Dublin is unlike (and better than) what they export.

Export? They make it elsewhere. My late father worked for Courage, previously Barclay Perkins, and in the early '60s they moved from Southwark to Park Royal, where they had set up a joint operation with Guinness to brew Harp lager. I am fairly certain Guinness was brewed on the same site. I am told that the difference in flavour to which you refer is due to the quality of the Liffey water available in Dublin. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Been there, done that. Mind you it'd be 'amusing' - other emotions are available, to see a Hippo go floating past. I'm sure though with your experience of 'air drops' you'd be able to come to a soft landing.

I thought I might emulate Aladdin on a flying carpet.

But having received much theoretical tuition(from DH), plus a little bit of real stick time, I won't end up like this:

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2
  • Funny 9

1 hour ago, iL Dottore said:

The more exalted the rank, the stickier the volunteering opportunities become.  For example, I'm sure that HH wouldn't volunteer to be thrown into the Bay of Biscay with an attache case of forged documents shackled to his wrist...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11

23 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The more exalted the rank, the stickier the volunteering opportunities become.  For example, I'm sure that HH wouldn't volunteer to be thrown into the Bay of Biscay with an attache case of forged documents shackled to his wrist...

He would if cake was thrown out first -admittedly it would have to be a large cake.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Look what happened to Uncle Casper when he posthumously volunteered to take on the pack of hyenas!

I'm hoping to go out with a bang as well.

Aged 96, and shot in the back by a jealous husband.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 17
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Happy Hippo said:

Look what happened to Uncle Casper when he posthumously volunteered to take on the pack of hyenas!

I'm hoping to go out with a bang as well.

Aged 96, and shot in the back by a jealous husband.

Surely that would be a double bang?

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 12

30 minutes ago, Hroth said:

It'd make a cracking film!

I can imagine the title,  "The Unhappy Hippo" or perhaps "The Hippo Who Never Was"...

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

2 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Rather a crafty move, IMHO, convincing the world that the lesser stuff is superb, but secretly keeping the really good stuff for themselves…

Dublin-brewed Guinness has been available in Britain, though not widely. My uncle and aunt owned a pub in Ayr up until the early 1970s. They got their draught Guinness from Dublin (by choice). And based on my own taste experience, and that of a work colleague, in the late 1960s at least, the bar in Manchester Central station served draught “Dublin-brewed” Guinness.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, pH said:

Dublin-brewed Guinness has been available in Britain, though not widely. My uncle and aunt owned a pub in Ayr up until the early 1970s. They got their draught Guinness from Dublin (by choice). And based on my own taste experience, and that of a work colleague, in the late 1960s at least, the bar in Manchester Central station served draught “Dublin-brewed” Guinness.

I think all the Guinness sold in pubs and shops in the UK comes from Ireland now. So if it tastes different it is due to travelling over the Irish Sea. It hasn’t been brewed in London for quite some time now. I have noticed bigger differences in Guinness from different pubs than between Britain and Ireland. Irish friends will not drink the Nitrosurge Guinness available in some establishments! The Nigerian brewed and bottled Guinness is widely available here in supermarkets. People with vans seem to favour VW. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

I thought that a volunteer was someone who had misunderstood the question. 

7 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Export? They make it elsewhere. My lwhhadoate father worked for Courage, previously Barclay Perkins, and in the early '60s they moved from Southwark to Park Royal, where they had set up a joint operation with Guinness to brew Harp lager. I am fairly certain Guinness was brewed on the same site. I am told that the difference in flavour to which you refer is due to the quality of the Liffey water available in Dublin. 

6 hours ago, pH said:

I think that there was actually delivery to a wharf in Manchester by ship from Dublin.

Mind you if there had been a bit of ullage and the tanks needed topping up nobody would have noticed the difference if they used the sh1t canal to top the up. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 5
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, iL Dottore said:

Ah, but did you have it in Dublin? ...snip...

No, right here in SC; but the label did say "brewed in Ireland" or words to that effect.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

We were in Dublin and while joining the queue to visit the Guinness Storehouse we could look down into some substantial roadworks where some large diameter pipes were exposed. I attempted to convince Aditi they they were part of a pipeline carrying Guinness to the UK. She wasn’t at all convinced. 

• Like 5
  • Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I think all the Guinness sold in pubs and shops in the UK comes from Ireland now. So if it tastes different it is due to travelling over the Irish Sea. It hasn’t been brewed in London for quite some time now. I have noticed bigger differences in Guinness from different pubs than between Britain and Ireland. Irish friends will not drink the Nitrosurge Guinness available in some establishments! The Nigerian brewed and bottled Guinness is widely available here in supermarkets. 

Guiness made now is mass produced from the cheapest ingrediants in the shortest possible time then given 'life' by injecting gasses which are not part of the brewing process. If it wasn't for the millions they spend on slick advertising sales would be a fraction of what they are.

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

think that there was actually delivery to a wharf in Manchester by ship from Dublin.

Road tanker now.

image.png.a220893c8297903ab8458c19370b8833.png

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

I thought that a volunteer was someone who had misunderstood the question. 

I think that there was actually delivery to a wharf in Manchester by ship from Dublin.

Mi d you if there had been a it of ullage and the tanks needed topping up nobody would have noticed the difference if they used the sh1t canal to top the up. 

Jamie

Cough cough nearly spit out quinoa, skimmed latte there Jamie if don't mind.

It might be called the Manchester ship canel- just because they paid for it doesn't mean a thing, but it finishes at Salford Docks not Manchester.

You ort to see some of the stuff they pull out of it. Plus they swim in it as well.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1