Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The Night Mail

5 hours ago, AndyID said:

A slightly odd request:

Would anyone happen to have a sketch of the dimensions of 7mm scale Bullhead rail available in the UK, possibly Peco? It's a wee bit unobtainable over here. I think I can 3-D print some rather convincing turnouts and I'm happy to share the models with anyone who wants to give it a shot.

I can make it work reasonably well down to 4mm/foot but I think at 7mm it would not be easy to tell the difference from injection molded parts.

Andy, I don't think it is a bullhead profile, but may be flat bottom pretending to be bullhead.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Ozexpatriate said:

My emphasis. John, your comment is very accurate. And indeed it can be exceptionally beneficial. I've seen demonstrations of automated-abstract generation for human-created content in an archive that was exceptionally useful.

Humans are not very diligent at writing abstracts and providing key-word tagging to help search find information. Generative AI is quite good at it, and useful too. No "original" content created.

It seems that scrotes are using AI to generate pictures of their cars showing non existent damage so they can scam their insurance; presumably the scam has to be minor (so an Insurance Assessor isn't sent out) and the body shop has to be in on it as well.

8 hours ago, Sidecar Racer said:

Further to my earlier posting and video and just to show @monkeysarefun I'm not

just picking on the down under lads , here's one featuring Vlads lads , and they seem

to make an even bigger *alls up . Again I've left it as a link for the surprise element .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8s1nOe4Wis

Bear would've been in a bit more of a hurry to get out of that car than they obviously are.

22 minutes ago, iL Dottore said:

.....allowing the young mums to do… well whatever young mums do when freed of sprog maintenance for a while.

That'll be twitter, farcebook, dating sites then.....

Hang on, they do that anyway, usually whilst the kid is running amok/playing in the road etc. etc.

Edit:  Wrong Page.  Again.  Should've been on ER'ers.  I blame that bluddy Hippo.

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Funny 10

2 minutes ago, bbishop said:

Andy, I don't think it is a bullhead profile, but may be flat bottom pretending to be bullhead.

Yes, I believe you are correct Bill. I would print chairs that are compatible with it to match Peco track and turnouts.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

The velcro baby idea comng to a supermarket near you.

The alternative is to vacuum pack them ( maintains freshness) and leave them by the door for collection later. 

Andy

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Tony_S said:

Does it have a P mode as well?

I have that one.

Connected directly to my bladder...

Don't ask what the S is for

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 15

56 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I have that one.

Connected directly to my bladder...

Don't ask what the S is for

Well that's a stupid question isn't it. It's for Slumber can't be for anything else can it.

Innocent of Manutopea.

• Funny 15

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, polybear said:

It seems that scrotes are using AI to generate pictures of their cars showing non existent damage so they can scam their insurance; presumably the scam has to be minor (so an Insurance Assessor isn't sent out) and the body shop has to be in on it as well.

There goes another reason for car insurance to go up 50%.

Dave

• Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Yesterday's lawn feeding exercise was enhanced by the feed spreader, a two wheeled trolley with a cam operated distribution system, deciding not to work.  I reverted to hand scattering, which was probably quicker.

The trolley was later inspected, and although in the greater scheme of things, it could be fixed by building up the cam profile with plastic card and ABS cement, it won't be.  It will join a line of items to be fixed in the garage and if it's not fixed by the end of the year it will be disposed of...

In fact, let's make that disposed of when I next go to the recycling centre.

The plan for this morning is for some light woodworking in the garage:  I want to finish off the zero clearance plate for my mitre saw, and make a start on a better drilling table for my pillar drill.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

There goes another reason for car insurance to go up 50%.

Dave

And another excuse for bumping up prices just to make more profit.

26 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Further to my last, an acquaintance was trying to get car insurance by phone and when asked whether the car was normally parked overnight in a secure, locked garage replied that yes, it was. This resulted in the insurance rep telling him that  this would raise the premium. He obviously asked how this could possibly be, only to be told that most people who claimed that their cars were locked in garages in fact lied so the company policy was to load the premiums. Needless to say he went elsewhere. I don’t know which company it was though.

Dave

Bear was helping a friend insure her Aygo after the Starlett was written off whilst parked (not her fault) - Saga wanted a significantly increased premium, despite the Aygo being a much lower group.

"Ah, yes Mr. Bear - but Aygo's are very cheap to run and so popular with young drivers who have lots of accidents....."

"Ah, yes Mr. Saga Scrote - but you're Saga and you don't insure anyone under 50....."

Silence.....

They wedged it and she went elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 14
  • Friendly/supportive 2

55 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Further to my last, an acquaintance was trying to get car insurance by phone and when asked whether the car was normally parked overnight in a secure, locked garage replied that yes, it was. This resulted in the insurance rep telling him that  this would raise the premium. He obviously asked how this could possibly be, only to be told that most people who claimed that their cars were locked in garages in fact lied so the company policy was to load the premiums. Needless to say he went elsewhere. I don’t know which company it was though.

Dave

I always tell the truth, that Yeti is parked at the end of my driveway*.  Its up to the insurers to believe me, or inspect GoogleEarth to see how long the driveway is...

* My garage is too narrow for any car built after 1970!

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, rockershovel said:

The thing about velcro babies sounds vaguely Australian, somehow...

There used to be climbing wall type places where you could put on a velcro suit then bounce around and stick yourself to the wall. I never saw any babies hanging there though.  However one of my colleagues did hang an argumentative but small husband,by his coat collar, on a coat hook on the kitchen door, whilst he dealt with the rather large other half. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Yesterday's lawn feeding exercise was enhanced by the feed spreader, a two wheeled trolley with a cam operated distribution system, deciding not to work. 

We used to have one of those but it broke. Our lawn is really a place for daisies, buttercups and clover. Plus other seasonal visitors. We stopped putting stuff on it when we had a dog and haven’t restarted. 
20240505_110823_resized_1.jpeg.1c76f461c3545580201f0b1beaad0381.jpeg

Our neighbours are quite particular about their lawn. Their weed and feed spreader went wrong last year and they had black stripes all winter where the lawn was overdosed. It is recovering now. 
Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I can report the zero clearance plate for the mitre saw has been completed.  As an after task fit, I will invest in a pair of screw down clamps and fit them to the top of the rear fence.  This will allow easy clamping of stop blocks either side of the  blade which will allow me to make rapid repetitive cuts.

The timber for the pillar drill table has been selected and marked out for my next cutting spree. Being as it's a bank holiday, I'll wait until the neighbours fire up their barbeques and are out in the garden before I start cutting.

Well, I only think it fair to repay the courtesy of them mowing their lawns at 1830 on a Saturday evening when I'm sitting out having a quiet drink.

The broken F cramp handle has been glued back together and the hollow of the u section casting filled with epoxy glue.  I've made two strengthening plates out of brass, and fitted them to the outside of the casting, and I need to wait until everything has gone off hard before drilling and pinning through the whole thing.  I'll then solder the pins into place.

As usual, it would have been much quicker to throw it away and buy a new one, but this rescue mission saved me from having to revert to gardening duties.

I will not be so fortunate this afternoon.

• Like 13
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, AndyID said:

A slightly odd request:

Would anyone happen to have a sketch of the dimensions of 7mm scale Bullhead rail available in the UK, possibly Peco? It's a wee bit unobtainable over here. I think I can 3-D print some rather convincing turnouts and I'm happy to share the models with anyone who wants to give it a shot.

I can make it work reasonably well down to 4mm/foot but I think at 7mm it would not be easy to tell the difference from injection molded parts.

If you PM your address to me I will send you some sample lengths of:

Code 124 Bullhead

Code 124 'Bullhead' Peco

Code 143 FB Peco

Generally bullhead rail in code 124-131 is as it says on the tin.  The exception being Peco Code 124 which has an odd foot and is flat bottomed as Bill says.  Peco rail does not fit the like of C&L or Exactoscale chairs as it is too narrow, so flaps around between the jaw and the 'wooden' key .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 11

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

If you PM your address to me I will send you some sample lengths……

Oldest snafflers trick in the book - Big H is just after your cake….

Send it to Bear for safe keeping….

Edited by polybear
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tony_S said:

We used to have one of those but it broke. Our lawn is really a place for daisies, buttercups and clover. Plus other seasonal visitors. We stopped putting stuff on it when we had a dog and haven’t restarted. 
20240505_110823_resized_1.jpeg.1c76f461c3545580201f0b1beaad0381.jpeg

Our neighbours are quite particular about their lawn. Their weed and feed spreader went wrong last year and they had black stripes all winter where the lawn was overdosed. It is recovering now. 
Tony

Looks remarkably like our weed patches.  I do try and cut then before the dandelions reach maturity. 

Jamie

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, polybear said:

If I wanted his cake, I'd position a satellite in low orbit over Idaho, and use my cake hoover.

• Funny 14

8 hours ago, jamie92208 said:

There used to be climbing wall type places where you could put on a velcro suit then bounce around and stick yourself to the wall. I never saw any babies hanging there though.  However one of my colleagues did hang an argumentative but small husband,by his coat collar, on a coat hook on the kitchen door, whilst he dealt with the rather large other half. 

Jamie

Ooo, that sounds fun.. the coat hook part. Don't know about the velcro. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Don't know about the velcro. 

Is that what they call "Bondage?"

• Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, polybear said:

Or to me, there is an ocean of protction involved!

• Like 1
  • Funny 6