Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
53 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its when he starts rambling on about his etchings....

@jamie92208 mentioned the other day that his French etchings were called décolletage …

• Agree 8
  • Funny 1

3 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

@jamie92208 mentioned the other day that his French etchings were called décolletage …

Mmmmmmmm....  There's nothing better than a deeply plunging decolletage....

@polybear Don't go anywhere near Leamington Spa today, the place is hosting the British Tarantula Society convention.  Lots of black furry legs!!!

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Hroth said:

@polybear Don't go anywhere near Leamington Spa today, the place is hosting the British Tarantula Society convention.  Lots of black furry legs!!!

@Dave Hunt Squadron scramble…..Napalm……grid reference…..

• Like 7
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, SM42 said:

Yesterday despite the best efforts of signalling systems near Smethwick  we partook of a boat ride from Little Venice to Camden to end up eventually outside Kings Cross and the Coal Drops development. ( we could have walked from Euston,  but we went the long way)

I did something similar more than 50 years ago, called Jason's Trip. Pleased to hear the C21 still offers it. The quiet on the canal belies the frantic city all around. 

• Like 10
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Hroth said:

I've had results by listening politely to their speil for a minute then announcing that I don't need double-glazing and shut the door. Its also fun to fight fire with fire and say that you already have a personal friend in Jesus before shutting the door firmly.

HH:  Small engines, but beautifully formed.  If you like red coloured engines...

image.png.bf5d35970647a0345429368565c5bac8.png

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 11

11 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

I did something similar more than 50 years ago, called Jason's Trip. Pleased to hear the C21 still offers it. The quiet on the canal belies the frantic city all around. 

It may have been the same boat. 

Andy

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

We've discussed recently on here the value in getting a few minutes away from major tourist sites to get a bit of quiet and better value catering; London is no different from any other busy and popular tourist city.  While you are still aware of traffic noise - even if it's a couple of streets away - I have found many places in London that are surprisingly quiet at weekends and sometimes during the middle of the working day.  These days walking out of Waterloo (still I think Britain's busiest station) and along The Cut at 9am on a Friday, it is much quieter than you would probably expect.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Now that's the sort of reply that may result in a visit from the police.

Especially in parts of North Hippo's hire and the Charente Maritime. 

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

N

Its when he starts rambling on about his etchings....

Yes maybe he was displaying his decolletage. 

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

But thats just a Green engine masquerading as a Red engine in its dotage.

2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

image.png.bf5d35970647a0345429368565c5bac8.png

An 'entitled milennial ' locomotive which is green but IDENTIFIES as red.

Someone call J.K. Rowling.

• Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, br2975 said:

An 'entitled milennial ' locomotive which is green but IDENTIFIES as red.

Someone call J.K. Rowling.

Lot of black ones.....

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

16 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Lot of black ones.....

“Be not afraid of blackness. Some panniers were built black, some achieved blackness, and others had blackness thrust upon them.”

Not a lot of people knew that The Bard of Avon was a railway enthusiast.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, br2975 said:

“Be not afraid of blackness. Some panniers were built black, some achieved blackness, and others had blackness thrust upon them.”

Not a lot of people knew that The Bard of Avon was a railway enthusiast.

And to quote George Harrison,  "Beware of Darkness" 

Jamie

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Hroth said:

But what about the spiders?

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium

I have just managed to calm down after reading that earlier statement about the Midland's small engine policy (AKA uninformed drivel) and now feel able to post without indulging in a major rant. 

Having got that over with, today we were visiting our friend who has recently moved to Cambrian Railway land near Gobowen and was reading a statement from the local MP concerning reopening of the line from Gobowen to Oswestry. How nice to see news of a line reopening rather than closing.

Dave

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Hroth said:

But thats just a Green engine masquerading as a Red engine in its dotage.

I prefer to think of it as a green engine that had finally seen the error of its ways but hasn't got it absolutely right.

Dave

• Like 2
  • Funny 9
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Hroth said:

Don't go anywhere near Leamington Spa today, the place is hosting the British Tarantula Society convention.  Lots of black furry legs!!!

I first read that as the British Tarantara Society and wondered why a bunch of people who play a series of notes on a trumpet would all have black furry legs. 🤒

Dave 

• Funny 13

• RMweb Premium

I've had a productive day, taking three large bags of garden trimmings to the tip (and joining the queue, should have gone yesterday) and wondered at the British education system when a bloke walked past me with armfuls of potted plastic flowers which I immediately afterwards spotted in the green waste skip.  I can only assume he thought waste was sorted by colour?

This afternoon I have taken advantage of the weather to hang out the washing - although that was delayed as it coincided with the neighbours lighting their barbecue - and letting nature do the work, while allowing myself a little modelling time.  While listening to the end of the Premiership season, "St. Davids" has finally had its frame fully painted and the damaged headshunt rails repaired.  Meanwhile my Dapol Drewry shunter is getting very close to its final state as an Out of Use NCB loco.  Small victories.

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

We are back at SM42 Towers. 

4 hours door to door, no signalling problems and one late train, which meant we caught it and gained 20 minutes on original plan making onward connections a little more relaxed. 

This morning was spent at Morden Hall and full advantage of the fine weather was taken. 

Back to work tomorrow. 

Ho hum

Andy

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium
On 17/05/2024 at 01:36, iL Dottore said:

...snip... In all it turned out pretty OK, despite my fumbling!

IMG_0218.jpeg.986aed54aed133e3076f263d8b7672ca.jpeg

Fumbling or not, I would be honored to have that (especially if it were 0 scale) on my layout!!

• Like 5
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/05/2024 at 04:43, Dave Hunt said:

If this is the beginning of some devious plot to get me to start modelling the GWR out of sympathy it won’t work HH.

Dave

But then you could have:

GWR74110-6-0side-003.JPG.1bb709ef0b0000ae810a814085264e1a.JPG

• Like 10
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Hroth said:

But thats just a Green engine masquerading as a Red engine

Serious question: were any ever painted blue?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Funny 1