Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Good to see your Christian beliefs feeding through into everyday life!

I think soccer is a religion of heathens.

The only true game is played by a team of 15 men on each side.

And a good prop forward is the lowest of the low.

• Funny 11

39 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Well I never you learn something new everyday.

I never took you as being a follower of syncharized swimming. When did you start that?:D

• Funny 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Winslow Boy said:

Well I never you learn something new everyday.

I never took you as being a follower of syncharized swimming. When did you start that?:D

As soon as Big H clocked a gathering of young ladies in swimming costumes.....:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Seen outside a pub showing the Rugby World Cup on TV:

"Football is 90 minutes pretending you're hurt.  Rugby is 80 minutes pretending you're not".

(I enjoy watching both, by the way).

• Like 5
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

A quick follow up on the laptop saga:

After Coastalview's pointer about getting a USB wireless adaptor, one was ordered on Friday afternoon, and it's just arrived.

The errant laptop was fired up and it's now talking to the internet once more.

£10 was much better than the £40+ the computer shop would have charged for just looking at the machine.

Many thanks!

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

First day of service on the MER.  if only it was as warm as it looked!

1547163319_20210522_1459421.jpg.1cb0c40670c292d68c0ce635608fab61.jpg

It's just short of 40 years since I stood in that location.  Long overdue for a return visit, perhaps I'll come on the traditional two wheels.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Last time I was on the IoM would have been the late1980's.

I was on a recce for an adventure training exercise that never happened.

During the recce I was able to squeeze in various non curricular visits, although the visit to the Groundle Glen was official as we had to use the railway line to get down to the cliffs for climbing activities.

The visit to the IoM Steam Railway, (it was closed midweek) got me a walk around the workshops.  The H&S briefing was very short and sweet:

'You're obviously a sensible chap, don't fall into the pit(s) or off an engine. Just us know when you've finished.'

Again, like Northmoor, I'm overdue another visit, but I will give adequate warning so Neil and Debs can run and hide in the hills:laugh_mini:.

• Like 10
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

I can't agree with you Richard.  Ideally the opposition hooker, jack-knifed so neither foot could leave the mud.   I enjoyed scrums.   Bill

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Last time I was on the IoM would have been the late1980's.

I was on a recce for an adventure training exercise that never happened.

During the recce I was able to squeeze in various non curricular visits, although the visit to the Groundle Glen was official as we had to use the railway line to get down to the cliffs for climbing activities.

The visit to the IoM Steam Railway, (it was closed midweek) got me a walk around the workshops.  The H&S briefing was very short and sweet:

'You're obviously a sensible chap, don't fall into the pit(s) or off an engine. Just us know when you've finished.'

Again, like Northmoor, I'm overdue another visit, but I will give adequate warning so Neil and Debs can run and hide in the hills:laugh_mini:.

Only trouble is, we live in the flat bit at the top!

While it is expensive to get here, I recognise that, but it is a special little place.  From our first hours on the island in 1986 we knew we would end up living here.

279992598_theheadlands.jpg.930b3d078e59f1234c5871b82dc55437.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

The last time I was on Fraggle Rock was just under two years ago when Jill broke her arm on the day of our 50th anniversary and although much had changed since I knew it as a sprog in the 50s it was still delightful. We hope to return ere long.

Dave

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Evening all,

The big news is that about ooh, five minutes ago I preordered/bought one of the new Rails of Sheffield SECR D classes in SECR lined green. It’s the second rtr loco I’ve ever bought, and has completely bankrupted me. I don’t particularly care. Much weeding at the shop will be done to pay off the depts. The intention is to run the loco in Pwllheli, which actually did happen, but not in the livery. There was a SLS Special doubled headed by a Dean Goods and D Class in the late 50s from memory. 

Douglas

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

Evening all,

The big news is that about ooh, five minutes ago I preordered/bought one of the new Rails of Sheffield SECR D classes in SECR lined green. It’s the second rtr loco I’ve ever bought, and has completely bankrupted me. I don’t particularly care. Much weeding at the shop will be done to pay off the depts. The intention is to run the loco in Pwllheli, which actually did happen, but not in the livery. There was a SLS Special doubled headed by a Dean Goods and D Class in the late 50s from memory. 

Douglas

Your third rtr loco should be the forthcoming Accurascale 78xx (Manor), which were seen at Pwllheli.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

Your third rtr loco should be the forthcoming Accurascale 78xx (Manor), which were seen at Pwllheli.

But that's....:O cough......G........choke......W.......splutter........R.........:bad:

Too late....gone.....

:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, polybear said:

But that's....:O cough......G........choke......W.......splutter........R.........:bad:

Too late....gone.....

:laugh:

The 78xx never really found their full potential until the redraughting of the smokebox end of the loco in the early 1950's.

So it might not stick in your gullet so much if you were to utter the words:

Ex GWR.

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
45 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The 78xx never really found their full potential until the redraughting of the smokebox end of the loco in the early 1950's.

Ex GWR.

Obviously breathed on by an engineer who hadn't been trained at Swindon and wasn't indoctrinated.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Ex GWR.

1 hour ago, jamie92208 said:

Obviously breathed on by an engineer who hadn't been trained at Swindon and wasn't indoctrinated.

Jamie

Deuce. New balls please. 

• Funny 8

• RMweb Gold

A friend from the USA, Charley Lix took this photo of me and Sgt Murphy.

I haven't a clue what I was doing, but it must have been something to do with the right hand injector.

image.png.5dd50521b385a46ecbd4393888263361.png

Or I might have been pushing!

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

A friend from the USA, Charley Lix took this photo of me and Sgt Murphy.

I haven't a clue what I was doing, but it must have been something to do with the right hand injector.

image.png.5dd50521b385a46ecbd4393888263361.png

Or I might have been pushing!

Stuck ball in the valve and you giving it a wallop gentle tap with a hammer? Or am I thinking of the wrong thing? 

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I take it that was a train of returning cake empties HH. Maybe you were getting your phone out to order refills for the next run?

Dave

Bears lead, Hippo's follow.....

image.png.bf59ab3f3b6e53b44dcb690fbf2ccc0f.png

• Like 5
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, polybear said:

Bears lead, Hippo's follow.....

image.png.bf59ab3f3b6e53b44dcb690fbf2ccc0f.png

A short rake of cake!

It's noisy here this morning as the conservatory floor tiles are being removed.

I shall shortly be adjourning to my garage.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Dave Hunt said:

I take it that was a train of returning cake empties HH. Maybe you were getting your phone out to order refills for the next run?

Dave

The cake would have travelled 'on the cushions'!

Istr we'd run the tippers down to the western terminus where the railway used to cross the Teifi:  The bridge was long gone and the platform was designed so you could walk off the end and out onto the eastern abutments of the bridge and admire the view.  We'd dropped off the load of ash for ballast packing, and were returning.

We'd stopped to pick up a load of rail which had been recovered when the loop had been re-laid.  The rail was laid along the tippers, tied down and then we dragged the lot back to Henllan.  The barrier wagon behind the loco was  to ensure the when we stopped the rails did not slid forward into the back of the cab.

Despite a  very gentle stop, they did slid forward a few feet!  Such is inertia.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3