Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

Regarding US nationality, US bases anywhere in the world are classed as US sovereign territory, and anyone born there is a US national. That includes children born in the nearby hospitals in Cambridge and Hinchingbrooke, who (by a convenient fiction) are registered on-base by the USAF, regardless of anything else the parents might do. 

• Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Regarding US nationality, US bases anywhere in the world are classed as US sovereign territory, and anyone born there is a US national. That includes children born in the nearby hospitals in Cambridge and Hinchingbrooke, who (by a convenient fiction) are registered on-base by the USAF, regardless of anything else the parents might do. 

That means that when they are adults they can stand for president then?

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 5
  • Agree 4

31 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

The road overbridge that provides the viewing point is awfully bouncy when road traffic passes, not something I have ever noticed on bridges elsewhere! 

This one (275 feet above the valley floor) bounces - 

https://steveamie.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/IMG_4641-1024x922.jpg

The photo is taken from the track bed of the former Columbia and Western line of the CPR, abandoned through here in 1991.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

There is some debate about what "a natural-born citizen of the US" actually means but it's never really been put to the test for a presidential applicant.

I've often thought it's daft that our son, now 41, wouldn't qualify as he's been in the US since he was barely two years old :scratchhead:(Not that it's likely he'd be remotely interested.)

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

When Arnie was governor  of California  and was pretty popular across the country, there was talk of whether he could run for President. It was then stated thst he couldn't because he'd been born in Austria.  I have a feeling that someone made trouble for Obama, saying that he hadn't been born in the US.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

When Arnie was governor  of California  and was pretty popular across the country, there was talk of whether he could run for President. It was then stated thst he couldn't because he'd been born in Austria.  I have a feeling that someone made trouble for Obama, saying that he hadn't been born in the US.

Jamie

Still goes on. The current VP is under attack. At the risk of stepping across the political line it's just thinly-veiled racism.

• Agree 11

18 minutes ago, AndyID said:

Still goes on. The current VP is under attack. At the risk of stepping across the political line it's just thinly-veiled racism.

Not at all. The USA was, for many years concerned with the building of a modern nation from widely disparate origins, many of whom fled there from the various troubles of the Old World. It was central to their national image that their leader be American, born and bred, a symbol of their hopes for the future. It was also central to their long-standing policy of isolationism that their President represented them  and no one else, and be so perceived. It is a wholly American policy, rooted in what the are as a nation, and how they got there. 

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 minutes ago, rockershovel said:

Not at all. The USA was, for many years concerned with the building of a modern nation from widely disparate origins, many of whom fled there from the various troubles of the Old World. It was central to their national image that their leader be American, born and bred, a symbol of their hopes for the future. It was also central to their long-standing policy of isolationism that their President represented them  and no one else, and be so perceived. It is a wholly American policy, rooted in what the are as a nation, and how they got there. 

Yes, I am fully aware of the original reasons and I'm going to leave it at that.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bbishop said:

Bozo was born in New York.  One can live in hope.  Bill

Hope that we might be able to pass him on to the USA as president?

Bonar Law was a Canadian, or would have been if Canada had existed at the time he was born; it did by the time he left for Scotland at the age of 12.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rockershovel said:

It is a wholly American policy, rooted in what the are as a nation, and how they got there. 

Well, rooted in what some of them are and how some of them got there. The ancestors of many arrived involuntarily.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

10 hours ago, Tony_S said:

I needed a PCR test 3 days before my recent colonoscopy. The hospital told me I didn’t need to go up the hospital in Whitechapel for the PCR just to make an appointment online for a local drive or walk in centre using the option on the website ‘I have been asked by a medical practitioner to get a test’.  I took my negative result printout and the phone text with me but the hospital knew the result somehow, probably from my NHS number. So it would appear that the system is more “joined up” and perhaps the Telford admin don’t know this. Aditi’s sister is having a hospital procedure next week (in London). She was just told arrange a PCR test at a nearby centre too. 
Tony

For my colonoscopy, I had to attend a 'drive-thru'

PCR TEST

at a portacabin adjacent to the endoscopy unit. This allowed them to directly issue the preparatory potions without the cost of postage to me! Cunning!!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

This allowed them to directly issue the preparatory potions without the cost of postage to me! Cunning!!

I imagine you had to drive home pretty quickly :D

(I'm sorry. My comments are quite inappropriate but I couldn't resist.)

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, AndyID said:

A drive-thru colonoscopy eh?! That's pretty impressive :D

I had a vision of all the recipients lying nose to tail and a mobile camera taking a long run through a series of tunnels.

Who wants to be first?

Me! No me! I'll do it, Why not me?  It should be me! I have to collect the kids from school!  Never mind that, I also have an appointment with ENT, could you do them both at once?.........

• Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, JohnDMJ said:

This allowed them to directly issue the preparatory potions without the cost of postage to me! Cunning!!

My last appointment was at short notice so the hospital sent my medication by courier. Not only was it a courier, it was a motorbike courier. 

• Like 9

24 minutes ago, AndyID said:

I imagine you had to drive home pretty quickly :D

(I'm sorry. My comments are quite inappropriate but I couldn't resist.)

Don't blame you; I'd have done the same! Apology unnecessary!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

My last appointment was at short notice so the hospital sent my medication by courier. Not only was it a courier, it was a motorbike courier. 

Are you a straight-man? I'm sure there's a really bad bathroom joke there but I better stop :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

23 hours ago, coastalview said:

I would love to have come into the Grand Harbour on a cruise ship it must look amazing 

I have a copy of a photo of HMS Impulsive (my Grandads first ship an I class destroyer) entering the Grand Harbour at Valletta it does look really impressive.

• Like 10