Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I don't mind plumbing, but it doesn't fill me with euphoria any more

I can remember being very pleased when I did the plumbing “properly “ in the utility room for this house. It was a new build and the builder had stopped making it a show house  and put it up for sale “as it was”. This meant the utility room was bare apart from electric sockets and a couple of water pipes. 
Now if I have to do plumbing it is because something has gone wrong. A few weeks ago at about 11pm just before I went to sleep (or intended to) Aditi mentioned a “big crack” by the drain hole in the kitchen sink. I had visions of needing to replace the sink but after going down (“why don’t you leave it until morning?”) I could see it was just the basket trap that needed replacing. Soon replaced via Amazon. 
Tony

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The careers advisor who came to school having told me there was no point going to university, after naming a couple of engineering companies locally did suggest I could begin a career in plumbing. 

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

I'm typing this with a mugga,

I'm typing this with a glass of LBV Port to keep me company.

I do not usually imbibe such so early in the day, but the chef was putting some into the chestnut sauce we are having with our roast chicken dinner this evening:  It seemed foolish to pass up  such an opportunity.

• Like 7
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

I'm typing this with a glass of LBV Port to keep me company.

I do not usually imbibe such so early in the day, but the chef was putting some into the chestnut sauce we are having with our roast chicken dinner this evening:  It seemed foolish to pass up  such an opportunity.

Chicken Madras tonight, with all the trimmings. I've had toad in the hole on my mind for the last 10 days;  perhaps this week....

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

The little ones have gone to bed.

Worn out after a day's fun and games.

The bigger ones won't be far behind them.

Make the mostbof them. It's nearly 10 months since we last held Emily who was a rug rat learning to crawl then.  I know youna tually enjoy thevpresence of the SPT's.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I had reason to visit Gobowen once, and thought it's a interesting place.    

I know Gobowen well. It is about 45 minutes drive from here and is the location of one of the finest orthopaedic hospitals in the country. Over the last ten years or so I've had what seems like half my skeleton replaced or rebuilt there; if I have any more I'll qualify for my own parking space.

Thanks for all the advice about coping with or avoiding Welshness. Today I've done some Midland modelling, eaten Yorkshire pudding, had a glass of Bushmills and watched a programme about Rob Roy so I may be OK for a while. Mind you, some of the Cambrian models on the website HH linked me to are very attractive.....

Tomorrow is preparation day for my colonoscopy so I may be occupied elsewhere - like the bathroom.

G'night all.

Dave

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Florence Locomotive Works said:

No school tomorrow, faculty and staff meetings for COVID planning. A bit of impromptu carpentry was done in the conservatory by my dad, a log needed shortening to fit in the stove.

Douglas

D26BE51F-DC0A-4870-A0A5-C05A44DA31B1.jpeg

I love the SAFETY footwear.....

Jamie

• Agree 3
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

I opened the small (1 1/4") layout square I bought last week. There is a warning that it may expose you to wood dust (!) which is known to cause cancer in the inhabitants of California.

We bought a plastic "armoire" (about 3' by 4') to keep the bird feeder in at night. It's on the front concrete bit, under the roof.  There are now 4 holes in the lid, where the top folds down, that look as if they were done with a dull countersink bit. No new ones for a few days. They only go into a bit that folds around so the think is still watertight.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

This morning's gossip from the Hippodrome:

Much plying with Playdoh is evident in the conservatory.

It is almost sunny outside, so I'm off to the garage to make some space:  A number of unpacked deliveries need tidying away.  There is no enthusiasm for this as nothing is railway related.

I also need to check on the chassis of an elderly Matchbox car I rebuilt yesterday with much moulding of Milliput.  If it's set, I'll be able to file it back to some semblance of shape (at least wheel clearance) and replace the bodywork.

I heard a rumour I'll be required to sweep leaves into piles for people to kick over:  I object to this on the grounds that I have a 5 hp leaf vacuum to save this sort of activity, but I've been overruled.

With the demise of the Dapol Collectors Club, we've ordered a blue class 08 shunter at their special offer price........ Of course whether we get one depends on demand, but if we do it does mean we can offer the option to run Splott West at shows with a BR Blue period. (Just an 08 pushing a rusty mineral wagon back and fore, with everything else ripped up and abandoned!)

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The car rebuild was not a success. I suspect most of the problem being with the reluctance of the milliput to set properly.  A change if tack is required with a small beam of plastic strip superglue in place and then add the epoxy to a rigid structure. 

Of course, the age and condition of the car should involve a journey on the back of a transporter to a crusher. Not having a small crusher means the story could not come to a proper conclusion, as hitting it with a lump hammer would not be prototypical inthe eyes of a two year old. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Morning,

Still cold, wet and rainy here in Greencountry, perfect weather IMO. As a result, my yard and my neighbors yard have done there normal routine of turning into a semblance of the Bridgewater canal. Normally this flooding is nothing to concern us, but I will relate a tale of when it did.

A Friday in January 2015. The week had been characterized by freezing temperatures, rain and intermittent snow. Naturally the flooding was at its worst, and a large smattering of snow on first night made things worse. With the melting of the snow during the day (‘twas only one degree above freezing during the day), the water level rose quite considerably. Eventually it began to rise over the top step of my other neighbors back patio, 1000 feet across the open area. So the sump pumps were dug out, ice picks found, and rebar procured. Every three hours I would have walk 300 feet through a 8 inch deep semi frozen lake to go and brake the ice that formed around the pumps. A very interesting experience, and luckily I never fell over. Although I have fallen into a frozen fountain before, but that’s a story for another day. 

Douglas

B79DBC44-BD4B-4E6E-A337-D5442FB5EDE9.jpeg

5A055B68-3CE3-400E-9C99-C551C015E88D.jpeg

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Happy Hippo said:

most of the problem being with the reluctance of the milliput to set properly

Repair putty sold in packs of smaller lumps than milliput sticks very well and is easy to shape and file. 

I will look up the brand when I get home. Tough enough for slot car repairs 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Tony_S said:

Repair putty sold in packs of smaller lumps than milliput sticks very well and is easy to shape and file. 

I will look up the brand when I get home. Tough enough for slot car repairs 

Thank you for that.

I do have various brands and strengths of epoxy, and if truth be told I was:

a.  Not thorough enough with the mix and probably did not get an equal shares of the Milliput.

b.  It was very cold in the garage, so the cure time may have been corrupted.

Again, I usually put such repairs into the airing cupboard to set, but not this time.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Thank you for that.

I do have various brands and strengths of epoxy, and if truth be told I was:

a.  Not thorough enough with the mix and probably did not get an equal shares of the Milliput.

b.  It was very cold in the garage, so the cure time may have been corrupted.

Again, I usually put such repairs into the airing cupboard to set, but not this time.

I put them in the small combination oven at 40C

• Like 3

Today I had the pleasure (?) this morning of finishing off tidying up the back garden after my man who does, replaced the fence on Monday. (He should have done it Saturday but the supplies weren't delivered as agreed that morning, instead they came Monday. We were briefley an open plan neighbourhood.)

7 trips to the tip (45ft of fencing and a 30 year old ivy plant to dispose of)  and now we have a back garden that a hippo would be very comfortable in.  In fact we have just been scouted as a filming location for a new First World War drama.

The front garden tidy was this afternoon, followed by jet washing several inches of mud off the patio (I'm still damp now) and then moving tomato plants into the conservatory to get the last few fruits to ripen before the cold gets them.

Mrs SM42 has already issued orders for tomorrow.

I don't like school holidays as she is always on hand to ensure there is no slacking. 

I must warm myself with some Polish IPA. It will also dull the pain in what's left of my lumbar regions 

Andy

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

According to the Telford council leader, Telford and Wrekin will be placed under Tier 2 restrictions from Saturday morning.

Not much change for us as normally we are not the most sociable of people.

Even more time for house and garden improvements coming up!

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium

So apart from going to the hospital tomorrow for my appointment for a camera up the nether regions, that's no more outings to the bright lights of Telford for a while then. I'll try to put a brave face on things.....

Dave

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 9

RIchard, another thing for you to inspect. My dad and I have been looking at the "base package" as it's in our price range and seems a bit better than a used unimat. We wouldn't be getting one until the new year though.

https://taigtools.com/product/10171-starter-set-1/

Douglas

• Like 1