Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

The Night Mail

3 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

Yes, I had a full view throughout but after a while thought, "What the hell, I see enough sh!t on the TV," so I had a nap instead.

Dave

But after the preparation, there shouldn't be any of said s@@t left!

Edited by BokStein
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

First if all Dave, I'm glad you're  home safe and sound and the news sounds good. I suppose Jill did take the chance to remark that you weren't full of s**t for once.

Interesting discussions about the 26XX. I presume that it's some sort of double framed loco with outside cranks.  I've made a couple of those as Mr Kirtley produced such items for both passemger and goods locos. Slaters use an updated version of the K's system for the 0-6-0 with the outside frames attached to the body and with loose slots that engage with sets of bearings on the axles outside the wheels.  It does work well. I've also done some etch design and would be happy to help out proof read etc.  In 12 thou brass prices are a good bit lower than what HH has suggested. 

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jamie. As the saying in the RAF went, "His eyes must be brown, he's so full of......."

I have to agree that the Slater's system for outside framed locomotives works well as it was designed by Peter Truman and me when we worked together there in the mid-80s. I also agree that etching costs if using 12 thou brass are less than has been suggested but even if a locomotive is a popular one don't expect instant sales success if etches are marketed. It would probably sell OK for a while but nobody ever got rich on the proceeds of producing just the etches, although with a bit of luck the initial development costs could be covered, hence effectively getting the developer a free set. 

Have a good TGIF everyone.

Dave

PS Also thanks to Andrew - my eyes are now watering!

Edited by Dave Hunt
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Talking of etchings I have just assembled this ground throw for Blackmoor Station. Just one required for the coal siding. Its fiddly so the main part was soldered with the tinier bits glued. Now ready for priming.

20201030_161744-picsay.jpg.5ba42b9eeaf44f0ea03419f2449bca44.jpg

Something bit larger is the weathering of these two HO scale locos that my other half bought recently both sound equipped. The UP loco came from Trainworld in Brooklyn as she could not find it over here. The KCS one came from a recent visit to Anoraks Anonymous in their new outlet in Doncaster on our travel up North before the tighter Covid restrictions came into play. Well worth a visit but we had to decline the free cup of tea or coffee as we did not know when the next wc stop would be.

20201028_145836-picsay.jpg.e89ea0bca5281a75c61c91fb300ff0ed.jpg

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Thank you all for your responses about etching and such. In the scheme of things, I'll probably go down the route of a Brassmasters kit.  The weather here is glorious, that is, if you like rain..

Most of the etching we did was in either 0.5 mm or 0.7 mm brass, so very substantial compared with the thinner stuff.  Putting it on an A3 sheet also added significantly to the cost.

There are some very good guides on how to draw for photo etching that are floating around.  when I was doing it, it seemed more of a black art with closely guarded secrets.  I think the internet put paid to a lot of the closeting of information.  The trouble is that now people do seem to want everything for nothing.

It's been a busy day with the despatch of daughter and grandchildren back down south prior to the Telford Tier 2 restrictions coming into force.  A quick trip was made up to my son's, not to see them for any reason other than to deliver a load of cut timber for his logburner.  (It's one way to get srid of the old shed roof!!)

This afternoon saw everything being put away once more so life is returning to normal.  Normal being plotting the next last great project.

Thoughts of purchasing an electric car have also raised the issue of fitting a higher capacity charger in the garage.  My daughter's Tesla seems to be on charge form the moment she gets here until the morning she leaves.  mind you when you consider that Shropshire's power supply is supplied by a team of rats in a wheel coupled to a generator, that's no bad thing.

The Wales v Scotland  rugby match over the weekend should see the rest of the Penderyn consumed.  Whether the little bit of water I add to it is salty or not depends on the final result.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Happy Hippo said:

Thoughts of purchasing an electric car have also raised the issue of fitting a higher capacity charger in the garage

My nephew in Sussex bought a petrol electric hybrid recently. He would have liked an all electric car but he lives in a first floor flat and an extension lead out of the window wasn’t practical. He is going to start looking for a house soon so who knows he could go fully electric. 

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 21/10/2020 at 16:47, jamie92208 said:

As far as I can remember the coffin trucks were double deck. I have the book about The Necropolis Railway so will have a look and check. ISTR that the coffins were laded from the opposite side to the mourners.

Jamie

Have any of our residents ever modelled the The Necropolis Railway?

Not posted for a while so I thought I post this picture. If you remember my nieces got me a voucher for my birthday for their local model shop and with it I bought a Hornby Pecket . All I’ve done is repainted it from black to blue and added lining and nameplate. A quick job to help mojo return?D399EF4D-0CB1-430A-93B1-11BE52A4D821.jpeg.bde0a996266c0f46b30379c926b0b9c4.jpeg

• Like 17

Evening,

School inspected today, nowt to report on that front. Over the past week my dad and I have from start to finish watched HBO’s Band of Brothers series, very very good and well worth watching. That was finished last night, and also at midnight last night the first episode of the second season of  Disney’s fantastic show “The Mandalorian”, dropped. So that was watched tonight. It’s a Star Wars spinoff, and better than all the movies IMO. 

On the model engineering front, the parts for the mogul have been delayed, as well we’ve got an election on, and a overworked postal service. Hopefully they will arrive tomorrow. I have also been preparing to by a proper vise finally, that will be mounted to my workbench, a vast improvement over the tiny but good Proxxon vise I currently have. 

Douglas

Edited by Florence Locomotive Works
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 30/10/2020 at 04:25, Dave Hunt said:

Thanks Jamie. As the saying in the RAF went, "His eyes must be brown, he's so full of......." ...snip...

Have a good TGIF everyone.

Dave

I heard a different version: "Hmmm, your eyes are blue, you must be a quart low.". :biggrin_mini:

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, J. S. Bach said:

I heard a different version: "Hmmm, your eyes are blue, you must be a quart low.". :biggrin_mini:

I used to have green eyes.

When I was diagnosed with glaucoma, the opthalmologist told me that the drops which are an effective treatment should turn my eyes brown.

Well that didn't happen.

In fact, after I'd had my cataract surgery, my green eyes turned blue!

• Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Just a reminder that the G0G virtual show opens in just over 15 minutes time.

I'm in the queue waiting to get in:

https://www.gaugeoguild.com/

I have a coffee in my hand and it's far warmer and cheaper than the usual queue outside an exhibition.:mocking_mini:

I’ll try to drop in in a few hours.:biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately the G word has dominated the day as it's the only dry spell for a while. However I did pop in and spent some time in the Finney 7 meeting. I didn't have time for much else but thought that it was a good idea and obviously a lot of hard work had gone into it.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Happy Hippo said:

Am I the only the only person who thought the G0G show was on par with Wales' performance this afternoon?

Like a locomotive with dirty wheels you mean - stuttering a lot and being pushed around quite a bit?

Dave (currently joining you in a consoling drop of Penderyn)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, although I like to support my friend from the Muddy Hollow whenever possible, I have to report that although I have to admit that England have been known to play better rugby than of late, they are nevertheless six nations champions yet again. For this reason I am now in a fairly happy frame of mind having downed a celebratory drop or two of happy juice. Ironically this was from west of the border near to both our domiciles but certainly none the worse for that.

And on that note I bid all you excellent people a very good and peaceful night.

Dave

• Like 5