Hi all,

Looking for advice please about drilling into Bachmann and Hornby resin buildings.

I want to install working lights to the exterior of some buildings, which I'm estimating will require 1.00 - 1.5mm holes to poke the wires through. Has anyone else attempted this? Does the resin drill easily or crack? I'm thinking of using a pin vice, of course, not a power tool.

I've attached an example photo of the Viessmann 6087 light — which would look great on a cottage located next to the front door. And the Bachmann 4-Road Engine Shed would benefit from replacing the supplied dummy lights with actual working versions!

Many thanks,

Neil.

61BSdHNxjYL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

shed%201.jpg

I've done this successfully using a pin chuck and a fine drill. There has been no sign of cracking. It's not a fast process so take your time and don't exert pressure.

Edited by Les Bird
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

It's amazing how fast drill bits can heat up and melt plastic material. I don't think you'll get this with resin, but make sure you use a sharp drill and just go carefully. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ive drilled into small resin buildings using a Dremel with no issues...but the advice for using(or at least starting with) a pin vice is best because theres no chance of the drill skipping and damaging the building.

Ive used much larger drill bits on the underside of buildings using a cordless without issue, sharpness of the drill be is key though, if its blunt it will snatch and cause damage.

• Like 1

Sharp bits are essential, but there is a strong change of it not being sharp any more once the hole is drilled.

(Or perhaps I shouldn't buy cheap bits from China?)

Drilling slowly is good advice.

• Like 2

The main factors for successfully drilling resin buildings are therefore:

• A sharp drill
  • Slow drilling speed
  • Well supported behind the drilling point

It is possible to get devices to sharpen dull drill bits, especially useful for Chinese drills...

• Like 1

Thank you for the advice  — my initial thought based on logic and common sense seem to be mirrored in what you all say. Manual drilling to maintain control and prevent excessive vibrations, snagging or overheating, plus sharp bits (I tend to use Bosch drill bits for most applications).

I'll report back in due course!

• RMweb Gold

For drilling resin I find this kind of drill better due to the flute design which seems to prevent clogging and binding better than twist drills.

Very brittle though, but do-able with care if you centre pop first.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kbnian-Carbide-Diameter-Tungsten-Miniature/dp/B07TGGPWJQ/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=micro+drill+bit+sets&qid=1594670854&sr=8-17

Mike.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

For drilling resin I find this kind of drill better due to the flute design which seems to prevent clogging and binding better than twist drills.

Very brittle though, but do-able with care if you centre pop first.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kbnian-Carbide-Diameter-Tungsten-Miniature/dp/B07TGGPWJQ/ref=sr_1_17?dchild=1&keywords=micro+drill+bit+sets&qid=1594670854&sr=8-17

Mike.

I'd be wary (very) of centre-popping a resin building.  A sharp scriber rotated by hand to make an indent would be much safer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, polybear said:

I'd be wary (very) of centre-popping a resin building.  A sharp scriber rotated by hand to make an indent would be much safer.

A difference in wordology obviously.

I didn't mean use a centre punch and hammer!

I use a steel haberdashers pin with the head cut off in a pin vice to make an indent, is that not centre popping by any other name?

Mike.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

A difference in wordology obviously.

I didn't mean use a centre punch and hammer!

I use a steel haberdashers pin with the head cut off in a pin vice to make an indent, is that not centre popping by any other name?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I had one of these types of gadgets in mind when you used the term "centre-pop" - a spring loaded centre punch:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1305411137

Not as bad as clumping a centre punch with a club hammer :jester: but still scary on resin :lol:

Cheers,

Brian

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, polybear said:

Hi Mike,

I had one of these types of gadgets in mind when you used the term "centre-pop" - a spring loaded centre punch:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1305411137

Not as bad as clumping a centre punch with a club hammer :jester: but still scary on resin :lol:

Cheers,

Brian

Yes, resin is scary stuff, just above meringue IMHO,  give me plastic or brass anyday!

Mike.

• Like 1