Hornby R6944 LSWR 3 Plank Engineer's Department Wagon

Robin Brasher

4 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Really nice work. I wonder how late they lasted in that livery before repaint.

Agree, Nile's wagon looks very good. The 3-link couplings really set it off. 

The HMRS livery register no.3 (LSWR and SR) states  "many wagons were not repainted by the SR until 1930...some wagons carried their pre-group identities until 1936"   (p.44).   No doubt there are anomalies...

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

A friend who is modelling the S&DJR in the 1900s told me that the London and South Western Railway engineering department ran their own trains with the wagons in red oxide livery from 1900. This requires verification but it does follow previous comments.

I would imagine he got his information from the authoritative sources that have been quoted above!

• RMweb Gold

The SR engineers department followed the LSWR practice in using a red oxide livery for their Engineers department stock. 
Standard goods stock was Of course dark brown for the whole of body and solebars with the rest of the running gear in black.
As already stated neither the LSWR or SR painted body ironwork or strapping in anything other than body colour. 
The Hornby wagon being discussed is of course generic and not an actual LSWR or SR prototype, although they did have 3 plank wagons, so the three foot rule can apply.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, the colour of the wagon lettered LSWR is certainly the more purple of the two browns. On the other hand, the brown of the wagon lettered GW is a rather poor representation of Great Western wagon grey! Besides which, while the LSWR did have some 3-plank dropside wagons, the Great Western did not - certainly not No. 39679 which was a 3-plank wagon with fixed sides and centre drop flap door, of old series Lot 325, c. 1885.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

1033322728_LSWRWAGONS1.jpg.c5ed4d524988e9be3e5e7cdec8bb199c.jpg

Had this little LSWR train running round layout last night. New Hornby terrier runs very smoothly (and slowly as well).  Just for a laff  the wagon load is a tin of Humbrol railway colours HR142, LSWR wagon brown.  The tin is about 40 years old, and left over after building several ABS LSWR round ended wagons for a friend's O gauge layout. That was around 1980 or so.  And sadly, Adrian Swain has recently passed away, bless him.  Where have the years gone?

• Like 3

1003442673_LSWRWagons2.jpg.b0c629051559367117bf95d52d68bc4d.jpg

Following on from last post, I thought I'd actually open the tin of Humbrol 142 enamel.  Considering it's 40 years old or so, I was amazed that the paint inside was still liquid. (Tin was about half full). Stirred it thoroughly, good consistency,  no lumps. 

So I thought I should try it. This Tri-ang brake van body seemed a good subject for a little experiment. (I was also motivated by Robin Brasher's  brake van repaint into LSWR livery at the beginning of this thread).

409275821_lswrwagon3.jpg.2b885815b352fbcd887fef83e09c1a8b.jpg

Paint just flowed on.  I'm surprised it was still ok, mind you the lid was on tight and it's been in a tupperware box with the lid on in the loft  with other paint tins. Comes of not throwing anything away. :)

1145277557_lswrwagon4.jpg.0429c661441e9911127184b36c8b3596.jpg

Here it is with the Hornby ones, pic taken in daylight.  Well...

Anyway that's my LSWR paint story.

Edited by railroadbill
  • Like 5