RELCOS - WHAT MOTORS NOT TO USE

TEAMYAKIMA

I am planning to sell some RELCOS on ebay and want to be as honest as possible with advice.

I have said do NOT use with DCC, but I think it's also recommended for micro-motors. Others are selling them as being for O, OO, N and Z but I think there were issues with N and Z

All help gratefully accepted

• 4 weeks later...

Old Motor Trade proverb  "If all else fails read the instructions."

Look on the packaging it should say what its suitable for. 

Other wise I would suggest they are only for OO and O. Certainly I have used them for 30 odd years with no issues on OO DC, Triang, Hornby, Wrenn, Lima, Helan, Bachmann, Airfix, Trix, Oxford, Hattons,  3 pole 5 pole, coreless, Ring field.  No problems at all.

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Agree 1

If the motor has an interference suppression capacitor on it then the motor will be bypassed.

It is possible that locos and stock with electronics in them might get a bit upset by a Relco (DCC fitted or with a brushless motor for instance) but a traditional DC motor will not be effected regardless of size if properly bypassed with a capacitor.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Fact is most of the time Relco's do NOTHING!

There is nothing wrong with that statement, it's a case of understanding how they are meant to work. If power is getting to the motor AND the capacitor is correctly wired across the brushes, then effectively the Relco is shorted out and does nothing.

It is only when there is no contact somewhere, then the Relco tries to break down anything that is high resistance - typically dirt, or the Texta shown in some early ads! If the wheels are clean, the pick ups clean, good wiring to the motor & the capacitor across the motor, then there will be no ill effect at all.

So the answer to good running never changes. Clean wheels and track, good pick ups (the more the merrier), internal wiring and good brush contact, are the secrets. The Relco is a back up, not an excuse. If the wheels become pitted, it's because the Relco is attempting to overcome dirt or open circuit 'somewhere' and the wheel plating is the weak link.

But NEVER use a Relco, if there is any chance of DCC components or other circuitry except that which drives the loco. Be aware that many modern locos contain DCC compatible circuit boards, even if you run DC.

2 choices, either don't use a Relco or remove any circuitry that is intended for something other than driving the loco.

• Agree 3