The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

On Cats

didcot

4 hours ago, J. S. Bach said:

So just what did Snowdrop do to warrant this special attention?

The amazing thing is that you(?) are not wearing full body armor!

Nah, she's a pussy cat!

We had thought it was emulsion paint she had got on her fur but it turned out to be scented wax that she must have dipped her tail into and flicked onto her side.  Fortunately she doesn't appear to have been injured by the heat, the thickness of her fur must have protected her.

What's odd is that she likes the bathroom - yesterday she knocked a large glass thermometer off the window cill and there was broken glass everywhere.  She's normally quite happy in water - she's been known to fall into the bath while it's being filled only to jump straight back in again for a little swim when rescued !  Whilst she wasn't as enthuiastic about being dunked in a soapy bucket, it was only when we hosed her down with the shower that she really started protesting.

I had to do that once to a previous cat after a little girl had vomited over him - and he shredded the bathroom curtains when I let him go!

4 hours ago, TT-Pete said:

"Snowdrop" - LOL :^)

Well you couldn't name her Blackie these days!

5 hours ago, Jonboy said:

I would sleep with one eye open tonight!!!!!

That photo was taken mid morning today but as soon as she had dried off she still purred when I picked her up and made a fuss of her.  So she's forgiven me - or maybe it was because I gave her some dreamies!

She's far too soft and spoiled by the others really.  We want her to learn to put the dogs in their place like her tabby twin brother, her ginger half-brother Macavity and big brown cousin Pooh, who are all protective of her.  Pooh is the Top Cat and he came into the bathroom and glared at us very disapprovingly while this was happening - annoy him and you'd regret it.

DSC_0010.JPG

Edited by Michael Hodgson
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, doilum said:

Oliver.RIP 

Sadly, I have to report the death of Oliver the independent/feral Tom cat that has been part of our lives for the last eleven months or so.  ...snip...

Condolences to you.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

We had a cat who followed us to our local pub, the owners said that as long as it was on a lead we could bring it in, I'd have thought there wasn't much difference between a dog and cat in the scenario they are discussing.

• Agree 2

Many places ban dogs but make an exception for guide dogs, which will be specially trained and can probably be relied on to behave.  Cats are well known to be untrainable.  

Edited by Edwin_m
Typo

There is the very odd cat that is happy on a lead and largely doing as it's told. It would be interesting to know the family history of such cats; it maybe they are from a chain of cats that have been neutered only after being allowed to breed while being a pet. There is a line of thought that a cats need to hunt is because because generically through neutering quickly they have not evolved to realise humans will provide all the food they could ever need.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Edwin_m said:

Many places ban dogs but make an exception for guide dogs, which will be specially trained and can probably be relied on to behave.  Cats are well known to be untrainable.  

Quite. It's the cats doing the training.

But that is missing the point at issue in this case. It would appear that since no objection has been made to the support cat at Tesco, Sainsbury's haven't a leg to stand on. They will be regretting the adverse publicity by now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Nonsense.  We've trained our four to come running when we rattle a tub of dreamies.

I'd say they can be trained if the incentive is significant and immediate, whereas dogs don't need that sort of motivation or at least not to the same degree.  Having said that Gizmo knows he shouldn't be in the kitchen and will leave if I point this out to him without me needing to shout (except when there's something good cooking).  He clearly knows what is expected of him but chooses to ignore it.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

22 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

Cats are well known to be untrainable.  

Not so, but not all, requires lots of patience and a shed-load of kitty treats;

20 hours ago, Edwin_m said:

I'd say they can be trained if the incentive is significant and immediate, whereas dogs don't need that sort of motivation or at least not to the same degree.

I dunno, think it depends on the type of dog, my daughter's German Shorthair Pointer is still a bit of a nightmare even after several years of proper gun-dog training, he will react to and obey commands, but sometimes only after repeated attempts and if he feels like it, I think there's a cat somewhere in his lineage... :^)

• Like 2
  • Funny 4