HYA/IIA, BY Accurascale in OO/4mm scale!

19 hours ago, newbryford said:

So that's the way to run them unweathered - out of the box..... 😀

Just need these....(HYA/IIA would technically require First and Coal logos in glorious technicolour though!)

Screenshot_20220316-225942.png.2bd27594acad1be2082e8d72b0dc8cd3.png

Previously posted on Hattons 66 thread.

Edited by Torbay Express
Grammar error

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

If you don't mind me asking, where are you with the pre-orders? Really looking forward to getting mine soon.

I guess if your order has something else on with them like a loco or other pre order item they are held until it comes.If you ask nice by messaging on there site if thats the case they will sort out sending them for you.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/04/2022 at 09:41, aeroplane said:

I thought this video review was very in depth and worth watching

I have had exactly the same problems with my rake of 14 wagons ( 6 x Flastline, 6 x GBRF and 1 x Touax) and was about to contact Accurascale, especially about wagon GBRF 371014 (which never got around the first corner of my radius 3 track). I am glad I decided to watch your excellent review and found many similar problems, especially regarding bogie rolling resistance. 

I normally fit Kadee couplings to new bogie wagons and found a No 19 coupling ideal for the task. However, on a consist of 12 or more wagons, the Kadee coupling detached from the NEM pocket the closer the coupling was to the locomotive. Prior to this problem rearing its head, I checked all the wheel back to backs and lubricated all the wheel bearings. However, Kadee couplings work OK providing they are placed at the rear of the rake.

My biggest surprise was that a Bachmann Class 66  slipped to stop when pulling a rake of 12 wagons or less and only the Hattons Class 66 was man enough to manage 14 wagons except that GBRF 371014 derailed on the first corner every time.

Once again, many thanks for your excellent revue.

On 24/04/2022 at 10:21, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I guess if your order has something else on with them like a loco or other pre order item they are held until it comes.If you ask nice by messaging on there site if thats the case they will sort out sending them for you.

All sorted and wagons on their way.

Note to  self for the future - always place pre-order items on separate orders.

• Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, panzerjaeger said:

My biggest surprise was that a Bachmann Class 66  slipped to stop when pulling a rake of 12 wagons or less and only the Hattons Class 66 was man enough to manage 14 wagons except that GBRF 371014 derailed on the first corner every time.

The Hattons 66 strikes again....... will a loco from the A/S stable eclipse it's greatness?  (Was 371014 coupled next to the loco - the coupling spring for the self-centering is pretty taught on the Hattons Class 66)

Of course for anyone with a Rails DRS Set, at least they will have the luxury of 2x37's.  Apart from the DRS wagons photographed in the siding, never seen a photo or YouTube clip of the train in action....... would be interesting to see..... 

Whilst unprototypical wonder how the Dapol 68 would cope on a rake?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 minutes ago, Torbay Express said:

Yeah they are a good Bo-Bo!  Never tried one in anger but could imagine it doing a pretty good job!

Weight wise there aren't many heavier. Hattons 66, Heljan 128 are the only two I can think (not sure how the new 47s compare) of until AS stuff turns up. On bogie locos if all wheels are driven it doesn't matter if how many axles there are, weight is the most important thing. Our railways don't have axle load limitations like the real thing!

Edited by TomScrut

On 14/04/2022 at 11:01, TomScrut said:

This has made me ponder what people seek in these models. I completely understand AS for wanting to make something as authentic as possible, but if that component had had a arc shaved out of the inner half of it to give the wheels clearance (as per my awful scribble below), how many people would have cared? For me, whilst I like to see the detail underneath when I have the wagon in my hand I am only really interested in what it looks like on a layout, and that would not be noticeable on a layout.

image.png.693d2ca54049dd257a973e06068dd1a2.png

I fully believe this is a manufacturing issue, all 8 of my biomass ones can catch there if encouraged to do so with wagon in hand, but only one would derail as a result of it when going over a medium streamline point in the problem direction (turning right with handbrake wheel at front). If it was design they would all do it, and even if all are affected they are affected to varying degrees which to me points towards the manufacturing process.

The two bits on either side are different though, so I wonder if there is a slight manufacturing flaw on the component with the rail on that prevents it fitting perfectly flush (I am thinking like what happened with the Hatton's 66 bogie frames).

Either way, I aren't really that bothered about it. In the grand scheme of problems I have had with new stock this is a very minor one!

It also depends on track levelness.  Dips and bumps permitting the bogie to pivot and more likely to snag on the chassis detail.

1 hour ago, Torbay Express said:

It also depends on track levelness.  Dips and bumps permitting the bogie to pivot and more likely to snag on the chassis detail.

I'd have thought that was a bigger issue on Co-Co than Bo-Bo though, my point was more aimed at the fact that adhesion is mostly based on weight and the reason that Co-Cos have more on the real railway is because Bo-Bos aren't allowed to be as heavy.

7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I'd have thought that was a bigger issue on Co-Co than Bo-Bo though, my point was more aimed at the fact that adhesion is mostly based on weight and the reason that Co-Cos have more on the real railway is because Bo-Bos aren't allowed to be as heavy.

Sorry Tom, should have made it clearer.  I meant on the HYA wheel contacting on the wagon chassis hopper part more at certain angles.

Interesting enough, on you mentioning the new 47 (only had a 47004 after seeing photo of it in TTG Construction on a Brighton - Exeter and heavily discounted -first impressions couple of nice bits, but for me it don't have the wow factor you get with the likes of the Bachmann Class 90, Dapol 68 and Hattons Class 66 and hopefully A/S 31/37/55/92 - so there probably is still room for the ultimate Class 47), the brake equipment on top of bogie detail is an extra to fit and advised for static models only.  So we a new supposed £1 million Class 47 loco (A/S have spent £2m on 5 Steam and 6 Diesel) that doesn't even have basic detail a Lima 47 had 30+years ago when being run! 

Not sure that is progress on such a significant piece of detail? 

But it does tie in regarding my earlier comments on trainset curves and potential compromises.  Personally I'd have sooner have not had the underbody pipes in the affected area that are not easily seen in normal viewing, but a fully detailed brake frame on the bogies.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

This is why Accurascale has to do a 59,it has to pull 44 of my mendip wagons or the dummys off 4 walls.

The Dapol 68 is pretty good, hopefully the 59 maybe too?

Failing that it's a Hattons Freightliner 66 for the current scene!  Not much chance of a Bachmann 70 pulling much.  Other idea for good old days is if A/S do a 50 as 149, use that on test!

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Torbay Express said:

The Dapol 68 is pretty good, hopefully the 59 maybe too?

Failing that it's a Hattons Freightliner 66 for the current scene!  Not much chance of a Bachmann 70 pulling much.  Other idea for good old days is if A/S do a 50 as 149, use that on test!

To be pro typical theses only a 60 or 70 that will move 44 loaded stone hoppers i guess.

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Balgrayhill said:

Bachmann and Accurascale have very different overheads to clear so we cant compare project costs.  Accurascale may be spending £2m on 11 projects, but those 11 projects could be 2 closely related sets of classes, with many shared tooling slides that keep costs down per project.  

I don't see much closely related between classes 92, 55, 37, IRM 201 that could share much tooling.  If anyone is benefitting from economies of scale it should be Bachmann/Kader - if their costs per head / product aren't significantly lower than the smaller players there's something amiss somewhere.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Balgrayhill said:

Bachmann and Accurascale have very different overheads to clear so we cant compare project costs.  Accurascale may be spending £2m on 11 projects, but those 11 projects could be 2 closely related sets of classes, with many shared tooling slides that keep costs down per project.  

Some people need to accept that if they want fully detailed models then they have to compromise, either adjust their layout or expectations, or be prepared to do a little modelling or modification.  If they want to take a model out the box, place it on their 'train set' curves and run it at 750 mph in each direction, then stick to basic train set models.

Were just stating the facts and you still have half the brake rigging missing!  I don't believe that A/S are classing 31/0, 31/4 and Trip Cock fitted as 3 of its 6 tooled locos, they are not different locomotive types, just a derivative.  Although some companies may wish that they were!  Likewise, how on earth could you justify circa £200k to produce one Network Rail 37 on a run of less than one thousand models?  Not the place to argue about costs etc., but there are some very large disparities, or one entity is getting an amazing 'mates rate' from its parent company.  

You are correct about overheads - One has 2 product lines A/S & IRM, the other has a vast array of product lines which should each be expected to make a contribution to it's overhead costs!  Not to mention synergies/economics of scale by having 1 warehouse, shared services etc..