RMweb

Hornby Zero 1

Gilly

Hi all I've acquired a Hornby Zero 1 system in working order with 3 slave units and hand held along with 10 working chips and 3 unused point modules.

What are peoples experiences with this system as im thinking of using it on a small single track station with 2 or 3 sidings locomotives used would be older lima locomotives as ive heard the chips wont work with newer locomotives.

Any advice gratefully appreciated.

Edited by Gilly
spelling errors

I did Hornby (and other) repairs for the local dealers at the time zero-1 came along. I fitted many of them. One thing that I did over and above the standard fitting, was ensure there was proper connectivity throughout the loco. Things like a steam loco with a rear pony truck, relying on the pivot screw for electrical connection (to the tender coupling) were a definite no-no. I added an extra wire bypassing the screw. Otherwise, I found the system easy to install, and had repeat orders from customers to fit more chips, which must say something about it.

• RMweb Gold

I aquired a load of it in the late 80s was fine at first but the track used to get dirty very quickly but I believe I was using steel rather than nickel silver back then so that may have exaggerated the problem 

• 3 weeks later...

I had a full Zero-1 set up similar to the OP's, back sometime in the 1990's.

At that time, I had a large American style H0 attic layout and rather needed the advantages that "digital" operation promised.

I'm sorry to be negative but this product marked itself as "typically Hornby"* for me, inadequately developed, poorly designed, build quality adequate and finally, poorly zero supported. Obviously Hornby themselves realised it was best forgotten about, to the chagrin of it's supporters.

I have tried to put it all in the past as an expensive mistake of mine so all I really remember as an actual 'fault' was the low frequency pulses put out by the decoder - this made all my motors "sing" quite loudly. Comparing them to quality decoders of today, there was little or no ability to tune the motor and IIRC, multiple unit running was not effective probably because of this.

Ten years went past before I tried digital control again, thankfully things had improved immensely and I stuck with it.

Sorry!

John.

* remember 3½" gauge, live steam and other dead ends? 

• RMweb Premium
On 22/08/2020 at 21:39, WIMorrison said:

I wonder if @Gilly whether you have another layout to enjoy as I fear that only having a Zero 1 layout now might be rather frustrating and put you off should this be your initial, but commendable, foray into the world of model railways and digital control.

I've never used Zero-1, but surely it's biggest problem, is that all the parts of the system are now 40 years old. Should anyone be relying on 40 year old electronics? Probably a requirement to have back up supplies of all components, just in case or nothing will work.

• 2 weeks later...

@WIMorrison I do have another layout Marsh Green Road was in the Railway Modeller back in 2015 my plan is to use the system on a small branch line station for dmus with a little shunting yard to add interest.

Obviously this is all full of if's and but's mainly due to time available to work on the idea but I like the idea of doing something different and giving myself a challenge.