Kettle question-Stanier's Streamlined Pacifics-paint

rodent279

• RMweb Gold

Here's a question that has just occurred to me. Stanier's streamlined Pacific's were, aiui, normal locos with a streamlined fairing or casing over the top, whereas Gresley's A4's had streamlining that was integral to the construction of the loco and boiler. I guess that is why A4's were never fully de-streamlined, whereas the Duchesses were.

So when the Duchesses were running with streamlined casing, what state would the loco underneath have been in? Would it have been in some sort of undercoat, or plain black, or just maroon? Do any photos exist?

Cheers N

Edited by rodent279

The Stanier engines had the usual boiler cladding sheets fitted to retain the insulation, then formers to the correct shape on top of that to support the streamlined casing. What colour? I don't know but grey undercoat seems possible; it would never be seen so not an issue for Crewe works to worry about.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=building+6220+Coronation+in+Crewe+Works&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjtiKOh4KvrAhXZ44UKHbzuB2kQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=building+6220+Coronation+in+Crewe+Works&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1DmqwNYhNYDYJHbA2gAcAB4AIABWIgBwwaSAQIxNZgBAKABAaoBC2d3cy13aXotaW1nwAEB&sclient=img&ei=z3Q_X63lNNnHlwS83Z_IBg&bih=814&biw=1280#imgrc=WFWpNE7omGMm6M

3 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Here's a question that has just occurred to me. Stanier's streamlined Pacific's were, aiui, normal locos with a streamlined fairing or casing over the top, whereas Gresley's A4's had streamlining that was integral to the construction of the loco and boiler. I guess that is why A4's were never fully de-streamlined, whereas the Duchesses were.

So when the Duchesses were running with streamlined casing, what state would the loco underneath have been in? Would it have been in some sort of undercoat, or plain black, or just maroon? Do any photos exist?

Cheers N

Not really.

Without the streamlining A4s look like A3s with whale ribs forming a frame apart from the running plate curve and the sloping smokebox. Don't forget many A3s got A4 boilers including Flying Scotsman.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/taffytank/14782104300

There was a plan to rebuild them but it was deemed too costly for little benefit.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Not really.

Without the streamlining A4s look like A3s with whale ribs forming a frame apart from the running plate curve and the sloping smokebox. Don't forget many A3s got A4 boilers including Flying Scotsman.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/taffytank/14782104300

There was a plan to rebuild them but it was deemed too costly for little benefit.

Jason

So did A4's have normal boiler cladding, as per A3's, under the casing?

That was when it had just been returned to steam for the 50th anniversary. I did manage to see it around that time.

ISTR you weren't allowed to go right up to it as it had only just had it's asbestos removed and they were concerned some may have still been present.

But I think the cladding would be the outer sheets and they just filled the available space with that "teddy bear stuffing" they use now.

Jason