RMweb

Problems with access to Rmweb

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Huw Griffiths said:

Perhaps - but I wonder how much difference the make / supplier of a router (or other equipment) actually makes.

My router uptime is only 714 hours at the moment (so 29 days) because we had a power cut. Before then it was just over a year. The internet uptime is also 714 hours - in other words I've not had a single "blip" from the internet for nearly a month. It's only a domestic connection so does tend to have a little blip in the middle of the night every couple of months or so. Normally the only time my router gets restarted is for firmware updates.

With most of our office staff working from home at present (that was fun getting that sorted), the biggest issue we've seen with home internet connections is almost always resolved with a router restart.

We surveyed the entire company to ask who their ISP was and to do a speedtest to see what we were up against. Some we had to issue with mobile phones so they could tether off of it. Incidentally - the three worst ISPs have been Talk Talk, Virgin Media and Vodafone. The best (i.e. decent latency, smaller number of support tickets over the duration) have been Zen, BT and Sky. Virgin Media considering they keep going on about being proper fibre, the latency can be terrible (time taken for a site to respond).

In short (ish) - it's not conclusive as the physical distance to the green street cabinet/exchange and the quality of the wiring is a factor, but the cheapest ISP (Talk Talk) is awful for connectivity issues, the one that shouts about headline speeds (Virgin Media) is not far behind but the more expensive ISPs are much more stable. This is over the whole of the mainland UK and around 150 different connections.

• Informative/Useful 5

At the risk of perpetuating the thread diversion regarding ISPs, Fairbourne (popn. circa 700 and destined to be wiped off the map in thirty years time. Possibly) has fibre broadband with copper wire to the house (no full fibre to home) and I live about 100 yds from the street cabinet.  I get some amazing speeds which allows me to have the laptop, and mobile connected whilst streaming Crown Court via Youtube on the smart TV, yet a friend who lives about 50 yds closer to the street cabinet has had some difficulties with his broadband speeds and capacity.  I'm with EE, he's with BT.  Quite a few people locally who are with BT suffered a period of intermittent disconnections, yet my EE broadband has been remarkably stable, and the wi-fi is powerful enough to be picked up quite happily in the model railway shed, which will be handy.  I know at one time EE had a woeful reputation but personally, they have been reliable and effective.

Just goes to show that going with the right ISP can make a big difference