Gill Head: Kirkby Luneside's neighbour

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, peach james said:

Was there a shortage of timber, caused by someone in the North West?   Or did the plaster supply dry up ?  How about material for stone viaduct construction- Wills sheets just doubled in price on Ebay? 

:)

(on a more serious note, I hope it is a temporary abandonment order, or a change in direction...not like you've done that before Andy ! )

James

Hi James.

Suffice to say that the nutter in North-West England is not responsible for nationwide shortages. But wait until the mod-roc orders go in....

Andy might have given his reasons in his ongoing O gauge thread (see 7mm+ modelling section) Seven Mills. I won't comment further, but I understand exactly where he's coming from.

We're not supposed to mention politics on here, but if I were you I'd be glad to be a Canadian on the "correct" side of the border. The world has gone mad.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, peach james said:

Was there a shortage of timber, caused by someone in the North West?   Or did the plaster supply dry up ?  How about material for stone viaduct construction- Wills sheets just doubled in price on Ebay? 

:)

(on a more serious note, I hope it is a temporary abandonment order, or a change in direction...not like you've done that before Andy ! )

James

Morning James, ME,    Change in Direction, :swoon: Naa got the wrong bloke mate.:laugh: haha, but it does keep the Brain active :good:

As for the Timber shortage, Your spot on.  It must have been the MD of B & Q who rang me to say they were desperate to buy back all the stock I bought, haha. 

Some bloke in Cumbria had ordered a Canadian Forest. :spiteful:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

Excellent, Andy.

Not quite true, though..... I DID buy-up a large proportion of the Canadian lumber output in 2015, but a lot of it has been re-used as I saved it from KL2.

I've just had a chuckle at a comment you made then - when you suggested the amount of plaster I was using was tilting the UK so Southampton was hundreds of feet above the So!ent!....

We all need a sense of humour these days. I'm grateful that most of the people I deal with on here certainly have one! (Reminds me, where's Peter K?)

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Was wondering why the price of lumber has sky-rocketed in Oregon. It's not like we're short of trees.

It's all you compulsive, serial  layout building Brits.

No wonder we have to build machines to mill our own!

Squatch. Off to make fire logs from sawdust!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I've built some of the viaduct "skeleton" and thought I'd post a few pics.

I'll do a few "proper" posts of the method I use - hardly innovative - later. The pics show the pier "cores" in position - there are a couple left to do. None of this is fastened together, just sat there, nicely balanced.

It gives an idea of the scale of the thing.

3mm ply sheet will be ordered on Monday, so I can draw out the viaduct fascias, cut and fit them. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Jeff

20201106_185025.jpg

20201106_185043.jpg

20201106_185132.jpg

20201106_185240.jpg

20201106_185249.jpg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

14 minutes ago, Neilgue said:

Jeff, the viaduct looks like it will be just as impressive as the late lamented fell. 
when do we get to see a track plan?

Cheers, Neil. 

Agree.:good:

And Grass?:spiteful:

Hat, Coat,                  Scarpered.:rolleyes:

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Agree.:good:

And Grass?:spiteful:

Hat, Coat,                  Scarpered.:rolleyes:

Behave yourself, young Peters.....

....or I'll send your old friend matron to sort you out!! :angel::angel:

Jeff

Btw, it took about 2 years before grass appeared on KL2. I think we can manage a few months this time.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Neilgue said:

Jeff, the viaduct looks like it will be just as impressive as the late lamented fell. 
when do we get to see a track plan?

Cheers, Neil. 

Evening Neil.

Or should I say good morning, Down Under?

I was wondering how long it would take before somebody asked for a trackplan. I have several drawn out, all larger than 2  A3 sheets stuck together, some with contours etc. But nothing on software. So I'll try and draw something with the basics onto A4 and photograph it over the weekend.

The trackplan from station, through goods yard is virtually the same as for KL2. The rest is viaduct, cuttings ie. pure scenics.I

Jeff

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Physicsman said:

Evening Neil.

Or should I say good morning, Down Under?

I was wondering how long it would take before somebody asked for a trackplan. I have several drawn out, all larger than 2  A3 sheets stuck together, some with contours etc. But nothing on software. So I'll try and draw something with the basics onto A4 and photograph it over the weekend.

The trackplan from station, through goods yard is virtually the same as for KL2. The rest is viaduct, cuttings ie. pure scenics.I

Jeff

Take a photo young Jeff.:good:

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

I've tracked down a couple of images of the plans that I took in September.

Please remember that these plans are indicative - for example, the contour map assumes a track level of 105cm above the floor, whereas it's 109cm. And the arrangement of track, access areas etc are all a bit out because of the way I've now built the baseboards.

But the general idea is ok. 

There is NO fiddle yard and I DON'T want to get into any discussions about that at present.

Jeff

IMG_7667_stitch rs rs crop.jpg

IMG_7661_stitch rs rs crop.jpg

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BWsTrains said:

Hi Jeff,

I've been otherwise occupied for 2 months and suddenly, "wham", 7 pages of GH to take in. Great to see you back up and running,

great news.

Colin

Hi Colin.

Great to have you back on the thread. I did wonder what you'd been doing since our exchange of emails re. brick walling and Covid in the Melbourne area. Hope all is ok.

L-girder frames, boards and now onto the viaduct in less than 2 weeks. I need to slow down, though I'm only working a tenth as quick as "build a layout in a day, GRASS in 3 hours" Andy P!

Jeff

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

3 more pics of the viaduct skeleton.

Similar to yesterday, except the piers, base and top are now screwed and glued together. Still a few more piers to do.

I've ordered the 3mm ply I'll use to draw and cut-out the fascias.

More when I've actually done something.

Jeff

20201107_164939.jpg

20201107_164949.jpg

20201107_165003.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Are the contours marked out in feet, or centimeters :taunt:

122372462_IMG_7661_stitchrsrscrop.jpg.18c066ba31796cbf401f49139248685d.jpg.1bf30ffd36503cbce47d3674d7d3a743.jpg

Shaun, I put them in centimetres so Bodgit would understand!

He SO loves metric.

Oops, I'm in trouble now.....

Jeff

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Sasquatch said:

Another question (serious one this time). I trust that viaduct base unscrews allowing you to work on it?

Regards Shaun

I COULD unscrew it, but in the interests of rigidity I made the base double-thick and screwed/glued the piers into it.

Working on it will involve - as has already been the case - shifting it around on its "valley area" ( the low-lying L-frame). The ply fascia will be drawn out and cut elsewhere, then fitted in place. The potential problem is going to come when there are 20-30,000 DAS stones attached - it will be around 5-10kg heavier by then (nearer 5, I think).

My brother is usually on hand to help with lifting.

My only regret is that, if I'd had more space, I wish I could have modelled all 11 arches, instead of making do with 8.

I'll show the general method over the next few weeks.

I'm not divulging my address as if I do the gentlemen in the white coats and unmarked van will be coming for me (no, not the KuKluxClan!!!)

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Physicsman said:

Hi Colin.

Great to have you back on the thread. I did wonder what you'd been doing since our exchange of emails re. brick walling and Covid in the Melbourne area. Hope all is ok.

L-girder frames, boards and now onto the viaduct in less than 2 weeks. I need to slow down, though I'm only working a tenth as quick as "build a layout in a day, GRASS in 3 hours" Andy P!

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

In Melbourne we had a 2nd COVID wave. Fortunately after the initial mismanagement of returning travellers let the bug run wild in Victoria, firm action by our State Govt (against much resistance) stayed the distance and now we've had 9 days with zero cases. Almost all restrictions lifted today which is good news.

I was further limited in my movements with a broken 5th metatarsal. Moonboot with no load for six weeks but now slowly on the mend.

I've been busy with my new project and have started a blog on here.

Regards,

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Friendly/supportive 3

A couple of comments from the peanut gallary:

1.  No FY is fine- you didn't build KL, or KL2, and then run trains, your interests appear to be building the layouts, not operating them.  They are different hobbies...

2.  I am very much looking forward to Gill Head Viaduct.  I'm not sure I'm nutters enough to build Trout Beck Viaduct the same way, but I probably _should_ :). 

At any rate, it wouldn't be this year bringing it into work to do, as I have the Garrett here to work on.  (I'm awaiting valves/fittings, got the big injectors, they are things of beauty !).  I also just ordered some DIY track parts for CPS II, in the form of 600' (200m)  of 1 1/2" * 3/16 (35* 4mm, for Andy the Metric)  steel. I'll be far better at MIG welding at the end of that project, as it will involve welding 160 m of weld at least ! (4 rail, 600 sleepers, 2 sides, 35mm/rail= 168m of welding).  I'll have to cut it all to 10' sections before I bring it here to cut to 1' ties, then drill them all, and lay out the curve arc's here on the floor (because I have >30' to do so here on concrete...) and then start welding.  It will mean less time on RMWeb when I am here, and more time puttering !

James

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Colin, glad things are improving. Enjoy your latest project.

James, yes, I think you are correct about KL, KL2 and GH. I AM far more interested in building the layouts and the structures that go into them. Not something I would have imagined to be the case if you'd asked me ten years ago when the original KL was being planned.

I don't think you will EVER be short of projects!

Jeff

• Like 1