Building Scalescenes Canal Wharf Layout in 0 gauge, Track Planning?

brossard

Thanks Marc.  Other than the Terrier and Sentinel, am I right in thinking that the rest are kit built?

I'm at a point now where I need to get a better view of the layout, so I'm building some mockup boards from foam core.

John

Only the terrier's are ready to run the rest are kit built. And Inthe case of my two sentinels I use the the word kit in its most loosest terms as I had to do some serious alterations to get them to work.

I also forgot a friend did run his 08 round it at a show. I think that was a Dapol one but I'm not sure.

Marc

On 18/08/2021 at 16:38, brossard said:

Thanks Paul.  Yep, painted and weathered too.  Kits are inexpensive to buy but there are additional costs, principally the card and, to a lesser extent ink.  I use good quality card not Corn Flakes packets.  All I have to do is put it together, although that is not trivial and requires care.  Only thing is there is no texture, being printed.  I can live with that given the other advantages.

John

Can I ask what card you use and from where?

I have ordered some 0.5mm and 1mm grey card from ebay, is this what you use?

31 minutes ago, davidparker172 said:

Can I ask what card you use and from where?

I have ordered some 0.5mm and 1mm grey card from ebay, is this what you use?

I tend to get my card from art supply shops.  You need 2mm (Heavy), 1mm (Medium) and ~ 0.5mm (Light) for 4mm models.  The stuff from eBay is probably fine.  You may need to go further afield for the thicker stuff.

John

• Thanks 1

It can be difficult to see the big picture so I thought I would sketch out the track plan:

CanalDockTrackplan.jpg.f26c6a6f5747953eb2e13d0979e903d6.jpg

Thinking of adding interest with a low relief warehouse on the sector plate board.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 2

On 28/10/2021 at 17:18, brossard said:

It can be difficult to see the big picture so I thought I would sketch out the track plan:

2116301319_CanalDockTrackplan.jpg.cfad486d2e1ee370c5b4011919967ffa.jpg

Thinking of adding interest with a low relief warehouse on the sector plate board.

John

Liking this John. 

The right hand extension looks good and I like your idea for the left hand side. I've thought many times how to extend that end. Also looked at the view the Scalescenes kit gives you at that end of what is "beyond" and tried to think how to create that. Couldn't really get to grips to that in my mind.  

Have you extended the two lines to the single track sector plate to give you more capacity in the lines?

Ps. I think your OO  blown up Template looks better than the o gauge setrack version. 

Cheers 

Andy

Hi Andy.  First my goal here is to get the layout in my car for transport to shows.  Therefore we have to watch scope creep.

Had a discussion with a couple of friends the other day which involved some arm waving.

1)  There is a desire to have wagon turntable(s) for the RH end warehouse.

2)  It is suggested that the layout be curved while keeping the dock straight.

3)  It is also suggested that the run round turnout be placed just before the LH building exit because people apparently like to see actual run rounds.

I too think that the blown up small radius turnout looks better than the set track turnout.

So, more thinking and I'll update often.

John

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 07/02/2023 at 11:32, Ian Holmes said:

I had this build thread pointed out to me as I’m planning my own build based around the Scalescenes kit. A lot of good information here. I hope the six months silence here isn’t an indication of problems

Ian

Only administrative problems Ian.  Looks like I'm allowed back.  This project has lapsed unfortunately as I focus on my main layout.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Actually had a discussion, with the team, on the way forward for this layout today.  Mostly mulling over whether we can use discarded doors for the baseboard.  I'm a bit skeptical but will try to keep an open mind.

Another loco that I had earmarked for the layout arrived this week, the Dapol B4:

P1010001.JPG.de4b989b88fc7d70244a874691e47c5b.JPG

Still on it's plexi plinth.

John

• Like 6