Dublo and Tri-ang 00 and TT comparisons

Silverfox17

On 04/12/2020 at 21:05, Silverfox17 said:

This shows both the Tri-ang and Dublo 0-6-0 chassis's fitted to the Gaiety pannier body.  This body did accept both chassis's with just a slight mod but the Dublo one had the centre wheels out of alignment to the splashers due to it not being equidistant spacing.  Both locos look good and run well with a heavy body on top.  Both bodies have slight variations.

I am not looking at any accuracy issues here, this is not about that, just how they both compared on the different chassis's.

Garry

Gaiety Panniers.JPG

Mis-aligned chassis not withstanding, this seems to support my long-held view that H-D missed a trick by not making a GWR pannier when they had the opportunity and produced the R1 instead. I expect I'm being a bit previous here, but was a pannier ever considered by H-D ?

I don't think so. My school mate and I both thought a pannier tank should have been the next model, but it never happened*.

Pressure in the model press for Southern models ensured the 2 rail tank engine would be something in the wrong shade of green, but why they choose an R1 is a mystery. Not that there was a large number of Southern 0-6-0Ts to choose from. They seemed to prefer 0-4-4Ts and Dublo wisely steered clear, though an 0-6-2T would have possibly allowed the use of the N2 chassis.

* Possibly Hatton's having a stock of the Gaiety model had something to do with it?

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 2

The gaiety pannier being a later option could well have stopped an "official" h-d one being produced. Vaguely remember friends having triang emus that had been converted to 3 rail, but which shop did it I don't know.

There was a convention for the n2 to be made in different liveries, such as southern, GWR, Lms anyway (which went on with wrenn). Whichever area you modelled there was an n2 for it...

• Like 1

A friend kindly sent me this scan of a Railway Magazine advertisement  for Hattons which shows die-cast bodied panniers for both 2 and 3 rail, plus Triang locos converted to 3 rail.  Lots of bargains here...

I like the comment for H_D 2 rail locos, "mostly unused".  That's really specific.....

image.png.0a9a32d18284c29801908302f5d4fe04.png

• Like 1

Absolutely. I believe Hattons bought a vast amount of stock at the end of Hornby Dublo and were selling it off for years after.

Scalextric and similar were becoming a big thing and also it was the end of steam, and many railways were being closed by Beeching so I suspect that railways generally were no longer a subject of great interest at the time.

• Agree 3