Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Naming a Fictitious Location

• RMweb Premium

Threefoot Cladding?

yard = 3ft

Sidings= The American for Cladding on a house

• RMweb Gold
On 05/10/2020 at 17:16, Dungrange said:

Okay, Google Translate translates the word 'Baw' as 'Dirt' and the word 'Ddwr' as 'Water'.  I could therefore assume that if you put the two words together you'd get 'Dirt Water', but for some reason Google Translate thinks 'Baw ddwr' translates as 'Water fouling'.  Ask it to translate 'Water fouling' into Welsh and it gives 'Baeddu dŵr'!!!!  However, give it the English phrase 'Water dirt' and it does produce 'Baw Dŵr' as the Welsh equivalent.  Interestingly, there seems to be various alternative spellings that translate to water and I note that Wikitionary refers to ddŵr as being a soft mutation of dŵr (https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/ddŵr#Welsh).

I don't know why I care, because I have no intention of calling my layout Dirtwater, although Foulbrook sounds better, even if it has a similar meaning.

There's Bawdrip near Bridgwater, not far from King's Sedgemoor Drain.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, faulcon1 said:

You could take long place names and change them about or subtract parts of place names and add others for example, Hazelbrook and Woodford two villages near to where I live could become Hazelford and Woodbrook. Does it really matter what a place name means?. Here's a good one taken from an old movie from a Welsh colliery layout Hafoduwchbenceubwlllymarchogcoch.

In Shropshire, UK, is a village called Great Bolas. In Welsh your bola is your belly. My Welsh-speaking partner laughed like a drain when she saw this English place-name!

• RMweb Gold

I’ve called my layout Middleway Bridge which will feature a fictional junction station on the Cornish main line. There was a Middleway Bridge Crossing ground frame a short distance from Par on the Newquay branch and the name seemed to fit given that the layout is an amalgamation of various bits of Cornwall’s railways and is situated in the middle of the county. 

1 hour ago, steve1 said:

@6990WitherslackHall I offer you Park Hill Sidings as a name for your fine looking layout.

Given the height of the retaining walls, there must be a hill nearby and parks are often close to hills.

Thanks for the suggestion. That is true and I really like the name. But, the original plan for the layout's location was that is was supposed to be near a station or a TMD of some sort. However, I will keep your idea in mind while I work on other things such as underneath the bridge and the backscene. 

Cheers, 

James

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/10/2020 at 22:00, Paul H Vigor said:

If you decide to 'invent' a Welsh place-name I would recommend you seek the assistance of a Welsh-speaker :)

Nearly indeed, but not quite. A lot of Welsh place-names got 'Anglicised' because  it was too difficult to get it right. 

Llantrisant? Where's that?  I know, we'll call it Cross Inn or Talbot Green instead. 

Haven't checked in on this thread for a while, I went with "Dent-de-Lion" for my layout - it's Southern Region near-coastal and French influenced place names seem to abound here and there in Kent and Sussex.  Dent-de-Lion Road in the small town of Garlinge in Thanet was named for a local medieval landowner whose legacy is the remains of a gatehouse and rumours of smuggling...