KR Models announce the Consett Iron Ore Wagon

KR Models

On 15/04/2023 at 09:38, Michael Hodgson said:

coke also having to be brought in.

Consett, like most steel works produced it's own coke of various types  (and all of its associated by-products) at the Fell Cokeworks. This works is visible in most photographs taken from the Castleside road as it lay directly above Consett Low Yard. The Fell cokeworks also exported its coke to other users. There was a weekly coke train that left Consett via the Lanchester valley  the customer being the Avenue Cokeworks at Chesterfield.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Porcy Mane said:

Consett, like most steel works produced it's own coke of various types  (and all of its associated by-products) at the Fell Cokeworks. This works is visible in most photographs taken from the Castleside road as it lay directly above Consett Low Yard. The Fell cokeworks also exported its coke to other users. There was a weekly coke train that left Consett via the Lanchester valley  the customer being the Avenue Cokeworks at Chesterfield.

There's irony of sorts. After arriving back in Blighty from abroad with my parents I came to live in Chesterfield; some years later I use to drive past Consett on my way to the Teacher Training College outpost near Bardon Mill (A former Bowes-Lyon residence). I had taken the train to Newcastle, but getting to Bardon Mill by my favourite mode of transport was really an impossibility to do regularly, although on one such trip before changing to the car I had the great view of Mallard heading to Newcastle.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

I assume in preservation with Ridley Hall being turned over to teacher training during 1967.

Yeah, dead on there. I was 'drafted' to Ridley Hall in '69. What an idyllic place, though a fair old walk to the pub! Teacher training in Longtown, Keswick and Workington. I'm pleased somebody at least knows of Ridley Hall.

• Like 1