Bath Green Park, but when?

Tim V

I found a film I hadn't got round to developing, and this was what was on it. The significance was that the buildings on this side of the station had been cleared, giving a new view. Anyone any idea what date I might have taken them? Don't comment on the state of the emulsion!

post-7177-12749922372_thumb.jpg

post-7177-127499225653_thumb.jpg

post-7177-127499227564_thumb.jpg

Around the mid-70s would be my guess, the location of the first photo is now a car park and a few offices. Trains still ran to Bath gasworks (just to the west of Green Park shed) until 1971 so I did wonder if the track lifting may have been left until sometime after that? Sainsburys paid for the roof to be refurbished when they put their store up over much of the trackbed in the early 80s so it's clearly from before then.

Well that's a Mark III Cortina in the first picture so it's at the earliest 1970.

I think the mark 111 came out about 73 also thats a Triumph Herald in the background. I think they stopped making them in 69. That really is a fabulous roof.

I think the mark 111 came out about 73 also thats a Triumph Herald in the background. I think they stopped making them in 69. That really is a fabulous roof.

Isn't that a Hillman Avenger in the foreground?

Best, Pete.

The Mk III definately came out in 1970 and was revised in 1973; it lasted until 1976 (I've still got mine).

• RMweb Premium

Nahhhh it's a mk3 cortina, I've had about 4 of them. Great in the wet if you like the back end hanging out B).

Martyn.

I had Goodyear Gripless (Grand Prix) tyres & Spax shockers on mine - stuck to road like glue when it was dry. Better on the bus when it was raining!!!

Keith

It was used as a car park from the mid '70s until Sainsbury's started work on the site. I would guess about 1972 for the pictures. Any later and a 1970 Cortina would have rusted away.wink.gif

That effect is not deliberate, just prolonged storage of the film. I can tell you they were taken on a Lubitel 6x6 camera, on FP4 film. These are the medium resolution pictures. I didn't want to frighten the RMweb server with the full resolution pictures:D

An approximate date is circa 1978 - 1980, though when I don't know.

Archived