Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

1 minute ago, Compound2632 said:

There's a dichotomy here. Plenty of rain in that part of the world. No shortage of water for baths but not so good for drying clothes on the line.

It rains here less than you might think, you just have to be ready for when it doesn't!

• Like 3

We had solar panels fitted when we moved here 8 years ago , so we make sure to use the washing machine, tumble drier and dishwasher during daylight hours. Not all at the same time, of course! The panels have been paid for now by the Feed-In Tariff payments, but I don't know what we will be have saved with them over and above that as I have no prior bills to compare with. 

Jim 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

We had solar panels fitted when we moved here 8 years ago , so we make sure to use the washing machine, tumble drier and dishwasher during daylight hours. Not all at the same time, of course! The panels have been paid for now by the Feed-In Tariff payments, but I don't know what we will be have saved with them over and above that as I have no prior bills to compare with. 

Jim 

Thank me, I am the one (one of the ones, the main one!) who saved the subsidy from being cut by HMG, by coming up with a cunning Human Rights Convention argument, which worked!

I have my moments. Not many of them, but I do have them!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Round of applause 2

Posted here for want of any other suitable forum and because it sums up all that is wrong with modern Britain- Oi, Welshpool & Llanfair Rly, no ! Next time you organise a steam & beer event, try booking a mobile bar for Llanfair that serves more than Carling - it's my birthday tomorrow and I want steam trains,bacon butties and real ale ! Oh well, at least Kamikaze Kwarteng is gone -oh wait, Jeremy Hunt is now chancellor...

• Friendly/supportive 11

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Thank me, I am the one (one of the ones, the main one!) who saved the subsidy from being cut. 

I am in your debt, James. I owe you a dram if we ever meet up. 

What I would like to know is why the FIT has not gone up in line with the increasing wholesale cost of electricity. 

Jim 

Edited by Caley Jim
Add question
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

I am in your debt, James. I owe you a dram if we ever meet up. 

What I would like to know is why the FIT has not gone up in line with the increasing wholesale cost of electricity. 

Jim 

There are now virtually no subsidies, but back in the day it worked like this: HMG wanted people to adopt green tech that was relatively new and expensive, so recognised the need to incentivise. With domestic solar they did this via the Feed-in Tariff.

When it became too successful, HMG panicked and slashed the subsidy. They did this on many such schemes and often retrospectively. In the case of FiTs, it pretty much destroyed an industry overnight when the Minister, Greg Barker, told the Commons that the cuts under consideration were in fact "set in stone", and had to be reversed on judicial review. Subsequently I was brought in to consider how the industry might be compensated for the losses caused and developed a novel argument that HMG had interfered with the enjoyment of property, a right guaranteed by Article 1 of the First Protocol of the European Convention of Human Rights (you know, the international treaty obligation that the Daily Mail and Liz Truss hate so much) and that damages could be claimed via section 8 of the Human Rights Act 1998. 

HMG fought this tooth and nail with the biggest legal guns they could. In echoes of The Winslow Boy, they even gave our QC a government job to oblige him to give up the case (shame on you for being bought, brother of a celebrated novelist). Anyway, they lost. And appealed. And lost that, too. 

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I see that the MCW is now playing the balloon game.

If she chucks herself out of the basket in a feat of rare honesty, who next would have the nerve to seize the poisoned chalice?

I find myself in agreement with Nadine Dorries, which I find very disturbing; what is the world coming to?

There are going to be some interesting conversations between Tory MPs and their Constituency Associations, once the Parliamentary Party has forced the resignation of the leader elected by the membership. Truss and Kwarteng were pursuing exactly the radical policies the membership wanted.

Imagine such a situation in the Labour Party!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

find myself in agreement with Nadine Dorries

I heard her laying into our insane PM, and what seemed to hack her off most was that all the prep she’d put into various policies/plans had been junked when she was sacked. Now, that is a good thing in respect of her BBC-bashing, but a very bad thing in respect of her attempts to control on-line harms to children, which actually sounded pretty good, and probably too difficult for some of the corporations involved.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 4

R4 kindly, if unintentionally, airs Miriam Margolyes' political commentary as she reports saying to Jeremy Hunt 'You've one hell of a job, best of luck", meaning "F*ck you, you bast*rd". Fairly succinct summation of UK public sentiment.

A) lol

B) Tech/production issues seem to be an increasing feature of the BBC's live programming. Why?

PS. Found it:

Edited by Schooner
Clip found
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

Heard this on the school run and returned to my desk to share, so thanks, Brother Schooner, for having already done so. 

Absolutely priceless, classic Margolyes, I love that woman. 

They had brought her in to talk about the late Robbie Coltrane, but when it was mentioned that she was occupying the chair recently vacated by our new conveniently rhyming Chancellor of the Exchequer ....  

• Funny 2

On 15/10/2022 at 09:50, Edwardian said:

Heard this on the school run and returned to my desk to share, so thanks, Brother Schooner, for having already done so. 

Absolutely priceless, classic Margolyes, I love that woman. 

They had brought her in to talk about the late Robbie Coltrane, but when it was mentioned that she was occupying the chair recently vacated by our new conveniently rhyming Chancellor of the Exchequer ....  

Sophy Ridge

Victoria Derbyshire

James Naughtie

James Webb

Nicky Cambell

Andrew Marr

These presenters have all made what was possibly a Freudian slip, regarding the new Chancellors name, while broadcasting on air.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

1 hour ago, rocor said:

These presenters have all made what was possibly a Freudian slip, regarding the new Chancellors name, while broadcasting on air.

Or, dare I say, informed comment?

But we'll never know!

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, rocor said:

Sophy Ridge

Victoria Derbyshire

James Naughtie

James Webb

Nicky Cambell

Andrew Marr

I usually just refer to him as *unt. It is an indication of just how low this country has sunk when *unt is regarded as the only adult in the (cabinet) room and thus our saviour...

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, wagonman said:

I usually just refer to him as *unt. It is an indication of just how low this country has sunk when *unt is regarded as the only adult in the (cabinet) room and thus our saviour...

A terrifying thought.

We're not just living in Interesting Times, but possibly in End Times....

What did we do wrong?

• Agree 2

This

13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

We're not just living in Interesting Times, but possibly in End Times....

This Saturday's 'Herald Magazine' has an article looking back at the Cuban Missile Crisis of October 1962.  At one point the world was expected to end in nuclear Armageddon at 3:00pm GMT on 27th October.  Thankfully Nakita K. backed down.  That was a scary time for those of us around then.

Jim

Edited by Caley Jim
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 15/10/2022 at 18:38, Schooner said:

R4 kindly, if unintentionally, airs Miriam Margolyes' political commentary as she reports saying to Jeremy Hunt 'You've one hell of a job, best of luck", meaning "F*ck you, you bast*rd". Fairly succinct summation of UK public sentiment.

A) lol

B) Tech/production issues seem to be an increasing feature of the BBC's live programming. Why?

PS. Found it:

She has  Australian citizenship so swearing is compulsory.

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Given todays events in the Westminster Village, would the Parish Council prefer

• A change of PM
  • A change of Government

Its tricky....

It depends whether you think the decision should be made by an electorate of 357, 172,000, or 46,500,000.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

Put it this way, I'm not looking forward to a Tory version of a "Winter of Discontent", which is what we'll get with or without Truss at the helm. Neither am I looking forward to a possible General Election dragging through late autumn/early winter.

Given an election, one thing is for sure, we'd have a change of government. Opinion polls currently indicate that 52% of voters would vote Labour as against 23% for the Conservatives. All other parties are in single figures.

Again, with a possible Labour landslide, we may end up with equally expensive borrowing requirements, even if redistributive taxes move the national money about a bit.

Perhaps one comfort from a general election is that Rees-Mogg and Hunt would lose their seats...

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

an electorate of 357, 172,000, or 46,500,000.

The unpalatable, the unacceptable*, or the unimagineable.

Hurrah!

*Labour or Conservative,  the membership have proven incapable of making functional decisions on party leadership.