Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I am just a conduit for God to use

Who does she think she is? The BVM? It's the misappropriation and mis-application of religion that really gets me. But I daresay one will see the Holy Spirit at work inspiring the voting choices of her erstwhile constituents. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Edwardian said:

I am just a conduit for God to use

If I remember correctly more than few women who made that claim received a good roasting from the holy inquisition.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, Annie said:

If I remember correctly more than few women who made that claim received a good roasting from the holy inquisition.

Although in one notable case, canonised, after a suitable interval.

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Although in one notable case, canonised, after a suitable interval.

True and it was very nice of the church to recognise their mistake, but it would have been better if they'd realised their error in getting involved with politics before reaching for the tinderbox.

• RMweb Premium

Glenda Jackson died today.  😢

(From Didcot's Farcebook Page)

Among her acting roles was a lead in The Incredible Sarah, about the early life of the actress Sarah Bernhardt. Some scenes for this were filmed at Didcot in 1975, where the engine shed represented stations at Dover and Paris. The picture shows Glenda Jackson in costume as Sarah, with locomotive 7808 in the decorated engine shed entrance.

354426957_649638953864361_23972558784050

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Mr Pie's opinions have been previously noted by the Parish Council. I think his thoughts today are useful. Even more extreme swearing than usual, so please bear in mind if you click.

Alan

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Premium

Returning to Ms. Dorries for a moment (sorry about that), I think the problem is that it appears that she was made a promise by a politician, and believed it.

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

32 minutes ago, figworthy said:

Returning to Ms. Dorries for a moment (sorry about that), I think the problem is that it appears that she was made a promise by a politician, and believed it.

She must be the only one who believes that particular politician!

Jim

• Agree 2

18 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

It's the misappropriation and mis-application of religion that really gets me.

A recurring issue with the subject. It's very hard to tell from the outside what is mis-application and what is application with which one does not agree!

18 hours ago, Welchester said:

It doesn't seem to have held her back?

Never knowingly backward in coming forward, IIRC.

8 hours ago, Caley Jim said:

She must be the only one who believes that particular politician!

If only.

Annie! Cheer up picture, stat!

Edited by Schooner
Dialled down the unintentionally combative tone, hopefully

At least the UK and the US get interesting news stories out of the various local  goings on  at the moment. 

In comparison, one of the  lead story on the Sydney Morning Herald website yesterday was that you can now scan your iphone ticket app at train barriers without having to unlock the screen first. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Interesting to see the newspaper headlines this morning: completely polarised views of The Downfall.

The front pages would be worth framing as a set for a school Year 7 lesson, because together they tell pretty much all you need to know about bias in UK newspapers.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

Interesting to see the newspaper headlines this morning: completely polarised views of The Downfall.

The front pages would be worth framing as a set for a school Year 7 lesson, because together they tell pretty much all you need to know about bias in UK newspapers.

Really, a set from a range of key dates so that it is evident how some titles bend with the wind.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Buhar said:

Mr Pie's opinions have been previously noted by the Parish Council. I think his thoughts today are useful.

Also, if you can get BBC Sounds, it's worth checking out his new "Call Jonathan Pie" podcasts. 

Very good value for your licence fee, even if they are based on the now-tired conceit of a comedian hosting a radio phone-in.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Edwardian said:

Piers Morgan in the right?!?

My head keeps unscrewing and clattering to the floor

By now, its a bit late for Piers Morgan to position himself as a credible journalist, its just a sad example that even worms turn occasionally.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Hroth said:

By now, its a bit late for Piers Morgan to position himself as a credible journalist, its just a sad example that even worms turn occasionally.

Yes, it did rather smack of one of the rats who sunk our ship now trying to leave it!

Bloody surreal experience, for all that!

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Of course I realise why Piers Morgan is taking this line; he and his loony libertarian friends hated the lockdown restrictions; it's the thought of Boris getting away with flouting rules that he, Morgan, disliked and resented that exercises Morgan so much.

The fact that these rules were imposed reluctantly and late by Johnson despite medical advice to do so earlier is one of life's little ironies. The fact that Morgan objected to rules imposed to save people's lives shows what a colossal expletive he was and still is, world without end amen. 

Still, to see these unconscionable swine turning on one another is quite astonishing.

Edited by Edwardian
Spelling!
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Edwardian said:

Piers Morgan in the right?!?

My head keeps unscrewing and clattering to the floor

Is the Alex Crowley in this clip a descendant of Aleister, the 'Great Beast'?

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

Well, at least there's one thing to be said for "Pinnochio" Boris, he may be a serial truth bender and Daily Wail columnist, but he's not quite as mouth-frothingly insane as Mad Vlad, who's not only supplying nukes to the equally insane Belarus regime, but is also giving speeches declaring that he's got more nukes than the West...

5 hours ago, Hroth said:

Well, at least there's one thing to be said for "Pinnochio" Boris, he may be a serial truth bender and Daily Wail columnist, but he's not quite as mouth-frothingly insane as Mad Vlad, who's not only supplying nukes to the equally insane Belarus regime, but is also giving speeches declaring that he's got more nukes than the West...

Yes, but in Vlad's defence, Russia's democratic tradition was a 5 minutes interval before the next Strong Man arrived, whereas Boris is the product of some 300 years of Parliamentary democracy. 

That makes any excuse for him vanishingly hard to find. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2