Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

I shall pass your thanks on to the person who took the shot!

I was merely the one in the shot who definitely wasn't having a tremendous amount of fun wandering around town dressed like that...

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

48 minutes ago, sem34090 said:

Given the lack of activity on this thread, I suppose I ought to post the photos we entered for the competition I referred to above;

IMG_20201103_163540_219.jpg.dfc65e94dfbebe1fb6d542539c1ab9d4.jpg

A more suitable version of the outline photo above. This didn't really need any editing so my friend just put it into Black & White and we were done.

IMG_20201103_182610_612.jpg.61c51d80642422ad1c4b535ba177480c.jpg

I was given the right to enter this one as although I didn't take any of the photos (I'm in them!) I did the substantial editing required to get the final image.

Blimey, Hammer House of Sem that first one

Burke & Hare indeed

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

In the news today, an unstable little tyrant is defeated ....

"Zis is outrageous, zey should 'ave stopped ze battle while I was winning!"

18834306.jpg-r_640_600-b_1_D6D6D6-f_jpg-q_x-xxyxx.jpg.c0775f7b45a25bf11d0b9b3e9bfc647b.jpg

Edited by Edwardian
spelling and grammar
  • Like 1
  • Funny 14

• RMweb Premium

I really wouldn't draw a comparison between the outgoing President of the United States and Napoleon Buonaparte - to do so is to flatter the former, which I'm sure you would not wish to do. And remember that the First Empire was succeeded by one of the more illiberal and repressive regimes France has had the misfortune to experience.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

11 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I really wouldn't draw a comparison between the outgoing President of the United States and Napoleon Buonaparte - to do so is to flatter the former, which I'm sure you would not wish to do. And remember that the First Empire was succeeded by one of the more illiberal and repressive regimes France has had the misfortune to experience.

I'm sure no such thought crossed my mind!

However, the point is well-made that all tyrants are delusional, however relatively insignificant, incompetent and absurd!

Remember, Buonaparte's regime gave the French the phrase "lie like Le Moniteur", fake news indeed!

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Adam88 said:

Surely there's absolutely no reason why DJT cannot run again in 2024 if he so wishes.

True.  There's no legal reason why he can't and it has happened before in American history where a one term president ran for election at a later time, but it's most probably not all that likely.  He's 74 now, in four years he'll be 78 and it doesn't much look like he subscribes to a healthy lifestyle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Annie said:

True.  There's no legal reason why he can't and it has happened before in American history where a one term president ran for election at a later time, but it's most probably not all that likely.  He's 74 now, in four years he'll be 78 and it doesn't much look like he subscribes to a healthy lifestyle.

Nah, Sir David Attenborough would put a stop to that!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Just sit back and enjoy the Four Seasons press conference.

If it wasn't that the President was already seriously unhinged I would say that the election has pushed him over the edge. It won't be the military removing him from the White House, it'll be the men* in the white coats.

*A traditional phrase. Some of them will be women and/or of colour which will be fitting.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

25 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

If it wasn't that the President was already seriously unhinged I would say that the election has pushed him over the edge. It won't be the military removing him from the White House, it'll be the men* in the white coats.

*A traditional phrase. Some of them will be women and/or of colour which will be fitting.

When the mad emperor said that he would have to be dragged kicking and screaming from the White House the general reaction was that people hoped it would be captured on film.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Really, I am concerned for the President's mental health. But not as much as I am for that of children separated from their parents by border security. 

He's already had to be taken away to play golf rather than appear in public.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

17 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

There’s a hefty test of the strength of the door posts at the White House to come yet.

Extracted through the doorways while being carried in a sideways prone position. Unfortunately this may result in some bumps and bruises.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, teaky said:

Tangential trivia question.  Will the US have a new First Lady and a Second Gentleman?

Within the next five years, something to consider is that the US may have a President and a First Gentleman. All part and parcel of running a gerontocracy.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

And today's insight comes from the esteemed Dimblebore's commentary on the Remembrance Day ceremony at the Cenotaph:

...the RAF Regiment, the military wing of the Royal Air Force..."

As the late Sir Wogan would have said, "Is it me?"

• Funny 10

9 hours ago, Annie said:

Annie, that helps put my mind at ease.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ian said:

And today's insight comes from the esteemed Dimblebore's commentary on the Remembrance Day ceremony at the Cenotaph:

...the RAF Regiment, the military wing of the Royal Air Force..."

As the late Sir Wogan would have said, "Is it me?"

The use of fighter and bomber aircraft come under the category of soft diplomacy.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4