Proceedings of the Castle Aching Parish Council, 1905

• RMweb Gold

The other thing about badgers is that they are apex predators in the UK, so have become quite belligerent. This is evidenced by their reaction to car headlights, which they deem to be moonlight reflected in the eyes of a competitor for territory, mating rights or food. So they rear up on their hind legs to make themselves look bigger and to get ready to slash their challenger (anyone unfortunate to have encountered a badger whilst out jogging will know about this). Their last thoughts are presumably along the lines of, “@@@@ me, he’s moving fast!”

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, Regularity said:

The other thing about badgers is that they are apex predators in the UK, so have become quite belligerent. This is evidenced by their reaction to car headlights, which they deem to be moonlight reflected in the eyes of a competitor for territory, mating rights or food. So they rear up on their hind legs to make themselves look bigger and to get ready to slash their challenger (anyone unfortunate to have encountered a badger whilst out jogging will know about this). Their last thoughts are presumably along the lines of, “@@@@ me, he’s moving fast!”

One would expect, then, that unnatural selection would weed out the tendency to aggression. Those that think "he looks bigger than me" and scuttle out of the road live to mate another day.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Many of the (ex)badgers you see expired at the side of the road are young males who have been ejected from their natal sett to go off and find pastures new.  Naivety may therefore play a part  in their demise.

Jim

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Caley Jim said:

Many of the (ex)badgers you see expired at the side of the road are young males who have been ejected from their natal sett to go off and find pastures new.  Naivety may therefore play a part  in their demise.

Jim

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

One would expect, then, that unnatural selection would weed out the tendency to aggression. Those that think "he looks bigger than me" and scuttle out of the road live to mate another day.

QED

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

'Go hard, go early' on Covid (says The Science) v. Just 'keep going' (says the bumbling mop-headed buffoon).

I'm just waiting to see how soon after my 6-month interval (expiring 6 October), I can get my booster.

We have fallen behind other several other countries in terms of our level of vaccine protection (I recall Spain and Ireland, though those are not the only ones) because (a) they just got on and vaccinated teenagers, which we haven't yet, and (b) because our vaccination programme was ahead of ours, so protection is starting to wane here, but not yet elsewhere.

I just find myself with no confidence in the competence of the present administration or either the wisdom or the ethics of its decision-making.

Infections are going up, the pressure on the NHS remains high.  Autumn/winter +back to school + Delta Variant are not good conditions. Changing policy on vaccine passports and Conservative MPs pack the benches in the Commons without masks; a poor example over which Uncle Fester is currently burbling under questioning on R4. The General Populace seem demob happy and increasingly careless. We need HMG to get a grip and do the needful things. 

I just worry that HMG's Plan B, if it is implemented, will be too late, like every previous decision this lot have made during the pandemic. 

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

I actually rather like the Plan A, Plan B approach, which seems to me like good contingency planning logic, and I think it is good to hear the fact that precautions might need to be upped being briefed honestly and clearly, but …..

I share your fear that it will be left too long before switches are thrown, just as it was last year. If it is, we will then be into tougher measures for longer, which is just what nobody needs to cheer them up in the middle of the winter.

One can only hope/pray/cross-fingers that BJ has done the really essential thing by saying it all out loud: mentally prepared himself to start throwing switches when appropriate, because I think thats been a large part of the problem, in that his nature contains so much optimism bias, desire to be liked, and laissez-faire instinct that he just can't make himself dole out nasty-tasting, but necessary medicine.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hah! Have you tried wearing an NBC suit all day long??  :)

I  personally think the only thing the State [not necessarily the govt! ] are remiss  with, is not enlarging on the true current symptoms of covid!

But then, there's 'science', and 'Science!'

After all, the WHO prevaricated almost disastrously last year over the wearing of masks...simply because, the WHO's powers-that-be, were stuck [entrenched] in 80 year old dogma concerning aerosols!

When we all know the only proper source of aerosols for years  has been HAlfords!

As for Spain ramping up boosters?  [I think the North Koreans have misread the science on boosters, if current news is anything to go by?}

I think teh UK govt is wise not to go wholeheartedly down the pasth of vacinating teenagers!

After all, a common side effect of covid booster shots is zombieism developing [early onset zombieism, especially]....and the UK Govt is right in its assertion that zombieism is incredibly difficult to detect in the younger population.....hiding as it does, literally, ''in plain sight''...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

Anyway, as I was typing my rant above, instead of getting on with the work I'm supposed to be doing, on my phone popped-up an instruction from the Doctors' Surgery to present myself on their doorstep at 0835 on Saturday morning, with my sleeve rolled-up, for a 'flu jab, which is pretty efficient work by the NHS.

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

11 minutes ago, CKPR said:

Liz "Mmmm, cheese" Truss is our new Foreign Secretary. Should I just turn the lights off now and turn the sign to 'Closed'  to save everyone else the bother ?

Hey we're a gang now!

Let's go and bully New Zealand.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/ministers-granted-border-exemptions-to-attend-urgent-meeting-in-canberra-20210915-p58rzn.html

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Does this mean that we are likely, at some point in the future, to get Liz 'Pork Markets' Truss as PM? 

Please say its not true...

I see inflation has gone up today too. It never rains..

Andy G

Edited by uax6

1 hour ago, Annie said:

I suppose submarines might be useful with sea level rise due to global warming.

The less coal we have in the ground, the lighter we'll be and therefore the higher we'll float, so we're digging it all up and sending it off to India as fast as we can!

• Funny 3

Earlier, I indulged myself by expressing the view that the cabinet reshuffle today was simply a shuffle of the same third rate pack of nonentities and incompetents that we have been governed by since the start of this joke of an administration. 

Obviously, whenever the incompetence of one of them is exposed by a media-friendly representative gaff (rather than a judgment concerning the real harm the Cabinet Idiot has been causing), he's axed.  We saw this with Chris Failing and Matt Hopeless, and now Gavin Humiliamson and Robert Generic have fallen.  But the rest of the Second Eleven remain; none of the Grown Ups, those with credibility, ability or experience, such as are left in the Parliamentary party, have been let back in from the cold; it's the same old pack of rather ungifted children occupying the offices of State.  You are appointing all the same numpties, but not necessarily in the same order.

The Govester has slimed a bit further up the pole and sometime reality TV celeb Nadine is in charge of culture, showing that Bozza's sense of humour remains as intact as his devotion to irresponsibility.

The most notable development was Liz Truss.

An interesting choice as Foreign Secretary.

And I do apologise for inflicting her earlier on the otherwise happy pre-Grouping Narrow Gauge topic. IT WAS A DISGRACE!     

Edited by Edwardian
Grammar
  • Agree 2

25 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

bet you give vegemite more stars than that.

Thats the law!

Stick it in chocolate for even higher healthy goodness ratings.

vegemite-chocolate.jpeg.cc752c99f818b1ef27440993ece1b6a0.jpeg

Got my second horse worming shot yesterday.

I may now have the Mark Of The Beast upon me but on the bright side, I'm now not in danger of appearing on this site,  looking like a clown for the rest of cyber eternity:

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/

Unlike Truffles.

(who is an actual clown)

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Thats the law!

Stick it in chocolate for even higher healthy goodness ratings.

vegemite-chocolate.jpeg.cc752c99f818b1ef27440993ece1b6a0.jpeg

Got my second horse worming shot yesterday.

I may now have the Mark Of The Beast upon me but on the bright side, I'm now not in danger of appearing on this site,  looking like a clown for the rest of cyber eternity:

https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/

Unlike Truffles.

(who is an actual clown)

This fad for putting stupid things in proper foods is disgusting.

Marmite/Vegemite chocolate is an abomination, though where the current state of Cadburys chocolate is concerned, it can't make the taste much worse. I just don't "get" "Salted Caramel", all it does is make me want to vomit after one morsel of the stuff. :bad:

But back to Marmite

image.png.78ff294b57e917dd4f1c7d5740e4f39e.png

Someone is now putting it in "artisan" fudge...

The world is going to the DOGS, I tell you!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

1 minute ago, Hroth said:

This fad for putting stupid things in proper foods is disgusting.

Marmite/Vegemite chocolate is an abomination, though where the current state of Cadburys chocolate is concerned, it can't make the taste much worse. I just don't "get" "Salted Caramel", all it does is make me want to vomit after one morsel of the stuff. :bad:

But back to Marmite

image.png.78ff294b57e917dd4f1c7d5740e4f39e.png

Someone is now putting it in "artisan" fudge...

The world is going to the DOGS, I tell you!

You can find that for free conveniently bagged along any popular dog walking route.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Northroader said:

I see they’re wanting to change New Zealand’s name to something less Dutch? er, Danish?

It's not a very good idea to mention that too much around here as there are rabid folk with strongly held views on both sides of the arguement.  It's best not to make eye contact and back away in an inconspicuous manner as possible.

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

...........though where the current state of Cadburys chocolate is concerned, it can't make the taste much worse

When they got the idea to change the recipe to that American pap version the shops couldn't give it away here.  The chocolate made  by  NZ's own 'Whittakers' chocolate company is pure ambrosia so Cadbury didn't stand a chance.

https://www.whittakers.co.nz/en_NZ/

• Like 3
  • Agree 2