Confused by Bachmann 39 34 references

Will Hay

Hello.

I contacted Bachmann recently for some help in understanding product codes.

I had assumed a 34 prefix pre-dated a 39, i.e. that the 39 range was a later release, but was wrong.

Bachmann did help, but I'm still a little lost.

For example, I'm about to buy three different BR Mk1 coaches, all with the 39 prefix, but want to add two more but can't figure out which others are in exactly the same range.

Any heads up would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Will Hay
Clarity

• RMweb Gold

34 and 33 product codes generally refer to old wagon tooling which was used in the early years of Bachmann Branchline. The tooling came from Mainline, who had also bought and incopororated the former Airfix range, before they themselves closed down c1984. These tools were some of the best available at the time, and Bachmann used some for quite a time - china clay wagons, and the HEA hoppers for instance. Almost all have been phased out now in favour of newer tooling.

For coaching stock the 34 coded items, e.g. Thompson, Bulleid, BR Non-Gangwayed Suburban stock, are generally Bachmann first generation tooling not up to current standards. All their gangwayed Mk1 stock is 39 coded as far as I'm aware and dates from 1999/2000 onwards, however more recent version (2015>?) have no ribs on the roof, which were critised on the original releases for being too prominent.

What are the codes of the coaches you are interested in?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

39-178

39-153

39-253

Those are the three I've bought, and want to add a further two which are appropriate to what would have been expected back in the day.

A method to understand how to determine what goes with what product code would be ideal as, whilst these specific one's are green, I have maroon, choc cream and blood and custard Bachmann sets I'd like to add further coaches to.

Thanks.

Screenshot_20201101-145604_Email.jpg

Edited by Will Hay
Addit. info

• RMweb Gold

So those are original releases from 2000 in Green - BG, FK, and RFO. The others released at the same time were

39-028 SK

39-053 SO

39-078 BSK

39-128 CK

39-228 BCK

There was also an RMB which came out in 2007 39-262. In most cases there was an 'A' version released at the same time or shortly afterwards, and other with B, C suffixes in 2005, 2007, 2010 and so on.

Bachmann have published a list of their product codes but it hasn't been updated since 2013, see attached.

branchline_products_by_item_no_rev11-2013.pdf

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes you do need to take care with Thompson and soon to be released Bulleid coaches - as Bachmann say they are re-using the 34 product range. All the gangwayed Mk1s are 39 however. Some later releases re-use older product codes - they have the new style boxes however, and probably no roof ribs.

The new Thompson coaches were:

'Teak' rel 2018

34-385 TK

34-410 CK

34-435 BCK

34-460 BTK

34-485 FK

'Crimson & Cream' rel 2017

34-386 TK

34-411 CK

34-436 BCK

34-461 BTK

34-486 FK

The older version originally came out in 1991, but a final issue came out in 2013 in new style boxes. They are easy to tell as they don't have flush glazed windows.

Edited by stovepipe
additional

That's wonderful, sincere thanks.

At the risk of appearing stupid, how can you be sure they're an exact match?

For example, the descriptions of 39-053 and 39-153 are slightly different, so how would I know [using the same method for, say, my choc cream set] I'm buying an exact match to compliment those I already have?

Thanks again.

Rob

Edited by Will Hay
Further question

• RMweb Gold

I'm not 100% sure I understand - one is an SO, a Second Class Open, and one is an FK, a Corridor First, with compartments. Only the livery changes on each type of coach, and Bachmann produced 7 of the main Mk1 coach types.

39-253 is restaurant first open - the only one released so far - it may be that that is what that coach had. In general there should not be much variation between releases, aside from the roof ribs I've mentioned already, but I guess there may be some more subtle variations over the 20 years they have been making them. I don't suppose it is something anyone could say unless they have collected them all for some reason.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Will Hay said:

how would I know [using the same method for, say, my choc cream set] I'm buying an exact match to compliment those I already have?

Thanks again.

Rob

Given their age, and how random it is, its probably a better concern to check whats in the box, actually matches the label... at that age its all second hand coming to market, and if your not sure, you can bet sellers aren't either... R3160xs was a good example.. it was originally 34046 Braunton, but Hornby changed it to 34108 Wincanton... the image persists though..

(url below thats auto embedding)

r3160xs_br_braunton_west_country_class.j

I've seen several times, even established retailers can get it wrong... I just google the coach number and take the highest numbers of sites that match the code to the running number.

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

The Model Rail database has 532 entries for Bachmann  Mk1s, unfortunately the earlier entries (e.g. 2003)  don't include the livery, but may be of some use, you can see the product codes are scattered around, so as adb states best Google for specifics although the hyperlinks in the Model Rail database will automatically do an eBay search for the item clicked.

https://www.modelraildatabase.com/coaches/#

Edited by spamcan61
  • Thanks 1

For the BR Southern Region green coaches, beware that later releases of the same coach types used a much darker green. The earlier releases were considered by many to be too light and bright a green, the later ones too dark! 

My own personal opinion is that the earlier green was better, but a little too bright and doesn't mix well with other manufacturers' green coaches. From what I have seen of the later, darker ones - I don't own any of those - they won't mix too well with the early ones or other manufacturers' products (read "mostly Hornby").

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Another point to bear in mind is that Bachmann have re-issued coaches with different running numbers. For example, a Bulleid brake 2nd in light green is 34-504, whereas later versions in dark green are 34-504A and 34-504B. Mk1 brake 2nds in crimson and cream are 39-077, 39-077A, 39-077B etc. 

There is a list of Bachmann products, but it has not been updated recently but covers a lot of the items. Discussed in this thread. Attachment below as it's no longer on Bachmann web-site.

branchline_products_by_item_no_rev11.pdf

Edited by RFS
  • Thanks 1