Dapol new N-gauge M7

Crepello

• RMweb Premium

I think I’ve been lucky in getting a good one. It sits level and runs well. The wheels are an improvement over the previous solid type. I have had to revise my plans for a Waterloo e.c.s. service in favour of a branch journey with just 2 coaches, as the haulage power is limited.

• RMweb Premium

Mine had a very poorly fitting roof but was otherwise very good however the roof drove me bonkers. After lots of filing and fiddling I still couldn’t get it to fit properly so I ordered a spare roof from Peter’s Spares.

I suspect that the second roof was for the first version of the M7 but for some reason it fitted a lot better on the new loco so now I’m happy. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So one thing I have found with all of the engines I have looked and the one i bought is that the chassis isn't square and the axles/wheels run at a slight angle to the chassis.  The one I bought ran fine and I only noticed after I took it apart for a 2mm conversion.  I tried to find another that was square and have been unable to as of yet.  I think with n gauge clearances and geared drive they probably get away with it.  It can be fixed but its slightly annoying that it has to be done.  Something they should fix in the next batch.

Edited by SandHutton
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I never intended to get an M7 as I had already got a pair of them from the MK1 batches, however I could not resist getting one from Hattons in their closing down sale. I appear to have received a goodun. There is no noticeable slope on the body which was a worry before I received it. The running was a little hesitant straight out of the box but after an hour running in this has improved dramatically. 

Haulage is also much better than expected. 6 coaches with very minimal slipping on a slight slope going round a R3/R2 curve. The loco slipped to a stop going up the slope when I put 9 on the back, not a great surprise really but for a small light loco I am very happy with the haulage. 

IMG_5471.jpeg.9cc6a9e847fb42f519b9e37f99b9150d.jpeg

Below is my video review of this loco.

https://youtu.be/uYsrKv7EgkQ?si=znKbD1MVuJ_CDgc8

Edited by Kris
  • Like 2