Bachmann Collectors Club thanks the NHS and a S&DJR 1P

AY Mod

My sound fitted one came this afternoon 

I agree about the loco not being on the ice cube packing it would have been better 

Now off to clean the wheels and a test run before fitting an illuminated models lighting upgrade kit and then the  supplied detailing parts and nameplates 

3 hours ago, Monkey28 said:

My sound fitted one came this afternoon 

I agree about the loco not being on the ice cube packing it would have been better 

Now off to clean the wheels and a test run before fitting an illuminated models lighting upgrade kit and then the  supplied detailing parts and nameplates 

I'd like to see the end results please with your light kit upgrade. I've used their kits on Voyagers which improve them significantly. Just bought some 170 kits but not done a 66 yet.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

I'd like to see the end results please with your light kit upgrade. I've used their kits on Voyagers which improve them significantly. Just bought some 170 kits but not done a 66 yet.

The 66 kits are good but l found getting the board spot on can take some doing.

I was waiting for the sound fitted version too, so ordered online late Sunday night after seeing the posts on here about them. Arrived today from Bachmann and I think it’s very good value for a sound fitted loco in the nice presentation box. 

Thanks

Mark

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, TomScrut said:

The 66 kits are good but l found getting the board spot on can take some doing.

Do you have pictures to show the difference of the upgrade. I found that with the Voyagers. But the trick was getting the lenses to the correct length and all flat. Picture shows before and after on different units.

20210318_181919.jpg

Edited by martin_l_jones
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I was just ringing Bachmann to chase it up when he door went so I cut the call off after a couple of rings and it was the parcel arriving! 

One quick question, I ordered it with a DCC chip, is it prefitted to the loco? 

on display now with my mini (very tall!) Sir Tom 

07CD468D-84DF-4C8F-8D47-6040CBFA820E.jpeg.2a535631fec5ceb601bd673091280647.jpeg

9C40B62C-BB6B-4298-A8C1-263845C68F20.jpeg.4e3431b189a200c76235911bbb848959.jpeg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

I will see if I can take some pictures when I do the lights .it maybe a few days till I get time .

They make a big difference to the Bachmann 66.

I don't know why Bachmann has not updated the light PCB as it doesn't need any retooling just a new board for the lights .the mainboard needs no modification .

25 minutes ago, big jim said:

I was just ringing Bachmann to chase it up when he door went so I cut the call off after a couple of rings and it was the parcel arriving! 

If it's the sound fitted one then yes it has the DCC chip already in  if its the none sound one then you have to fit the decoder yourself. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, martin_l_jones said:

Do you have pictures to show the difference of the upgrade. I found that with the Voyagers. But the trick was getting the lenses to the correct length and all flat. Picture shows before and after on different units.

20210318_181919.jpg

That's very interesting I have a voyager that's not been run for years and had seen the replacement lighting kit. Have you made your model DCC?

1 hour ago, martin_l_jones said:

20210318_181919.jpg

I don't per se, the only one I have done so far isn't perfect but I had had enough by the time I got to that point that it was to revisit when I did the rest!

Interesting re the Voyagers, that is a plan I have too, either a 220 or 221 in XC but I need to find the right one. There was a mint 221 in XC at Hattons the other day I was umming and aaaahing about at £260 but given other expenses (i.e. the loco this thread is about) I thought I'd leave it and another would come along. I know £260 is a lot more than what they sold for in the day but if it's mint then not bad by today's standards.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Monkey28 said:

If it's the sound fitted one then yes it has the DCC chip already in  if its the none sound one then you have to fit the decoder yourself. 

I’ll have to give them a call, no separate decoder in the parcel but the box does say DCC rather than DCC ready 

EDIT: apparently they send the decoder out in a separate consignment! 

Edited by big jim
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, big jim said:

on display now with my mini (very tall!) Sir Tom ...

I'm guessing the Captain Tom figure was your own?

When I first looked I thought it was a bit like a cross between Nicholas Parsons (TV presenter) and Buzz Aldrin... then realised it was representing the good man himself!

Nice touch though to have him next to the loco in your display cabinet!

In case anyone wonders, the nameplates are not printed on the side of the OO model but are, as said above, included in a bag.  There is also a bag of additional fittings and one bag each for the two aircraft, which includes a small stand and a label identifying each aircraft type with 'Pride of Britain' marked on it.

I'm hoping to hang the aircraft above the layout to have them performing a flypast, perhaps above a cameo scene with Captain Tom doing his walk?!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, 97403_Ixion said:

I'm guessing the Captain Tom figure was your own?

When I first looked I thought it was a bit like a cross between Nicholas Parsons (TV presenter) and Buzz Aldrin... then realised it was representing the good man himself!

Nice touch though to have him next to the loco in your display cabinet!

i got it on line, I can’t remember the company but it came painted with the Zimmer frame, some money from it went to charity too, it was only about £10 if that 

• Thanks 1

Sound fitted version of mine arrived this morning. Loco is whisper quiet when sound is off. However, the packaging for the loco itself is a let down. I thought it would've been in an "ice-block".

Also, it's a shame that the individual number of the pack is missing on the certificate. It can be seen on the websites picture however. How are we supposed to know what number we have?

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Monkey28 said:

That's very interesting I have a voyager that's not been run for years and had seen the replacement lighting kit. Have you made your model DCC?

Yes I had already made them DCC then upgraded the lights. You can upgrade to DCC using the existing lights if you want. But I would recommend the light upgrade. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, martin_l_jones said:

Yes I had already made them DCC then upgraded the lights. You can upgrade to DCC using the existing lights if you want. But I would recommend the light upgrade. 

I did one I had in the past with the existing lights, I would spend the £28 in the future for LEDs with day/night etc. and to save rewiring the Bachmann circuit board (which isn't difficult, but takes time).

I only sold the one I had as it wasn't in amazing condition (bought cheap that way) and I was struggling to find the bits it was missing!

On 12/05/2021 at 20:39, SimulationNetwork said:

Sound fitted version of mine arrived this morning. Loco is whisper quiet when sound is off. However, the packaging for the loco itself is a let down. I thought it would've been in an "ice-block".

Also, it's a shame that the individual number of the pack is missing on the certificate. It can be seen on the websites picture however. How are we supposed to know what number we have?

Just checked my OO model too - same here, no number on the certificate or box.

I'll take a look at the N gauge one this evening, in case that is different.

Interesting to note is the N-gauge image of the certificate doesn't have it, so maybe they changed their mind?

N-gauge Pride of Britain Set Certificate (BCC)

Have you or anyone asked BCC about it?

Edited by 97403_Ixion
Added comment about N-gauge certificate and link

1 hour ago, 97403_Ixion said:

Have you or anyone asked BCC about it?

I asked them how many there was and they wouldn't tell me. I presume because "all proceeds go to NHS charities" or whatever they say means donation/locos is their margin as such and so we can work out how much a 66 costs Bachmann to make, this is different to Hornby who said they'd make a donation of X for each one sold, £40 IIRC. (See note) 

I wonder if they are concerned we try to find the highest number to work out how many there are.

That's the only reason I can think of why they haven't told us how many are being made/sets aren't numbered.

Note, obviously some other assumptions would need to be made to come to a figure of cost, as there are 2 gauges and sound fitted in 1 gauge. And then the planes are to account for too. So not a robust way of working it out but I do think they are keeping their cards to their chests for some reason and this is a good reason.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I asked them how many there was and they wouldn't tell me. I presume because "all proceeds go to NHS charities" or whatever they say means donation/locos is their margin as such and so we can work out how much a 66 costs Bachmann to make, this is different to Hornby who said they'd make a donation of X for each one sold, £40 IIRC. (See note) 

I wonder if they are concerned we try to find the highest number to work out how many there are.

That's the only reason I can think of why they haven't told us how many are being made/sets aren't numbered.

Note, obviously some other assumptions would need to be made to come to a figure of cost, as there are 2 gauges and sound fitted in 1 gauge. And then the planes are to account for too. So not a robust way of working it out but I do think they are keeping their cards to their chests for some reason and this is a good reason.

Could well be why!

As much as I like certificates with numbers or knowing the production size for specials, given the circumstances for these models, the priority must be the charities the sales help.  I cannot thank the NHS enough for what they have done for everyone over the year and continue to do so, so this did seem like a great way to help boost the funds for the charities and a route by which we all could help support them.

• Agree 3