Lionheart O Gauge BR 3MT 2-6-2 Tank Engine

Adrian Stevenson

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

Surely, the whole point of an EP is for comment internally and externally regarding the model

Certainly from my perspective it's a bit demoralising when we do post something for illustration or information purposes and we so often see what seems to be a race to pick fault with it. Often the comments can be rude or lacking any balance.

This was the one that started it.

15 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

The piston axis doesn't look to be pointing at the axle centre.

It doesn't say something like "That's impressive and I'm not sure if it's me but..."

And then our time gets taken up so, as I've chosen to do numerous times, we just don't post some of the things we've seen on our travels. It's easier.

Anyway, we've been told the design is correct and, yes, the EP may be a little loose in that regard.

12 hours ago, coeurdelyon said:

Regarding the piston being inline with the centre driven axle, I am attaching a snippet of the factory 2D drawing to clarify the position

Thanks

RichardPiston.JPG.db05a67ccee6eaa088d5b7a089ca31d1.JPG

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Certainly from my perspective it's a bit demoralising when we do post something for illustration or information purposes and we so often see what seems to be a race to pick fault

I did think it must be disheartening and I wondered earlier if you should perhaps block comments for a short period to allow people to digest before reacting.

But, and I'm sad to report that despite your better qualities, come the revolution you and your esteemed colleagues will still be up against the wall for your part in this, stifling chat is rather contrary to the object of social medya, init!

:)

edit: given things can be misinterpreted, joking aside i thoroughly appreciate your efforts and having seen some blatant racism go unchecked on another forum earlier, also think you strike a good balance between letting people chat but moderating where needed.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Thanks 3

14 hours ago, 46444 said:

GWR boiler on the prototype I do believe?..

Must say it's a nice looking model covering three BR regions...

Cheers,

Mark 

Nope. LMS 6B boiler as fitted to 6 Stanier 3P 2-6-2Ts with minor tweaks. BR even called it a BR6.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LMS_Stanier_2-6-2T

Link to photo of one.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p622665815/e9d744658

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

And to think this we are trying to reproduce the real world in miniature. 

Shame real world attitudes can’t be reduced by the scale we model. 🤔

Thanks for the photo and your attempt to keep us informed. Keep up the posts. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 17/08/2022 at 11:21, Steamport Southport said:

Nope. LMS 6B boiler as fitted to 6 Stanier 3P 2-6-2Ts with minor tweaks. BR even called it a BR6.

Link to photo of one.

Jason

Really? 

"As no existing LMS boiler was available which would suit a Class 3 loco, whilst still allowing weight to be kept within acceptable limits, it was decided to use a slightly adapted version of the Swindon No.2 boiler (the barrel was shortened by 5 13/16 inches) as fitted to the GWR Large Prairies and 56XX 0-6-2 tanks."

I expect the source of this quote know what they're talking about:- http://www.82045.org.uk/82045_history.html

Can you explain to me why Robert Riddles would base his design for a new standard tank locomotive on one of Stanier's least successful designs?

Edited by 7007GreatWestern
spelling correction
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

I was very pleased to see the photos of the EP as I was holding off on ordering an 82xxx as I want 82003 which was a late transfer (1965) to the L.M.Region at Patricroft. The reason being that the first 20 had fluted coupling rods (which the EP has) whereas the remainder had plain ones.  82003 didn't stay long in the Manchester area being withdrawn in Dec.1966 but, strangely, wasn't actually cut up until Oct.1968.

Ray.

• RMweb Gold
On 17/08/2022 at 11:21, Steamport Southport said:

Link to photo of one.

Jason

Alas you are well wrong.  the boiler was basically a Swindon No.4 boiler built using the flanging blocks for that boiler although, obviously, a dome was added plus standard fittings etc.  As that information comes directly from the writings of E.S. Cox who was a member of the Locomotive Design Committee for the BR Standards (who also pointed out that, unusually among the smaller Standards, the boiler was not based on an LMS design) I think we can be absolutely certain that it was basically a GWR design boiler.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Alas you are well wrong.  the boiler was basically a Swindon No.4 boiler built using the flanging blocks for that boiler although, obviously, a dome was added plus standard fittings etc.  As that information comes directly from the writings of E.S. Cox who was a member of the Locomotive Design Committee for the BR Standards (who also pointed out that, unusually among the smaller Standards, the boiler was not based on an LMS design) I think we can be absolutely certain that it was basically a GWR design boiler.

Perhaps the person who wrote the article for The 82045 Steam Locomotive Trust made a typo or cut-and-pasted an inaccurate article from elsewhere?

Alternatively there could be some red faces when they try fitting that boiler into the frames.........😅🤣😆 http://www.82045.org.uk/news/82045_news-jly22.html

45 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

Whilst I agree that the BR6 boiler was not based on an LMS design it was also not "basically a Swindon No.4 boiler built using the flanging blocks for that boiler.....".

The BR6 boiler was based on the Swindon No.2 boiler which had a front dia. of 4'5" and rear dia. of 5'0".  The BR6 was 4'5" and 5'0 1/2" respectively.  Whilst the No.4 boiler was the same length as the No.2 it was larger in dia. at 4'11" and 5'6" respectively so vastly different to the BR6.  Dimensions from official diagrams.

Ray.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, 7007GreatWestern said:

Really? 

"As no existing LMS boiler was available which would suit a Class 3 loco, whilst still allowing weight to be kept within acceptable limits, it was decided to use a slightly adapted version of the Swindon No.2 boiler (the barrel was shortened by 5 13/16 inches) as fitted to the GWR Large Prairies and 56XX 0-6-2 tanks."

I expect the source of this quote know what they're talking about:- http://www.82045.org.uk/82045_history.html

Can you explain to me why Robert Riddles would base his design for a new standard tank locomotive on one of Stanier's least successful designs?

That is correct ... I researched the design extensively before starting the project back in 1997

I know this might hurt the purist but the 82xxx have a lot of Swindon in them especially as all of them where built there, in essence they are a modern BR(W) prairie 

The NRM holds all the critical original drawings for the 82xxx ...

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Marshall5 said:

Whilst I agree that the BR6 boiler was not based on an LMS design it was also not "basically a Swindon No.4 boiler built using the flanging blocks for that boiler.....".

The BR6 boiler was based on the Swindon No.2 boiler which had a front dia. of 4'5" and rear dia. of 5'0".  The BR6 was 4'5" and 5'0 1/2" respectively.  Whilst the No.4 boiler was the same length as the No.2 it was larger in dia. at 4'11" and 5'6" respectively so vastly different to the BR6.  Dimensions from official diagrams.

Ray.

So one of the people responsible for Standard design detail got it wrong.  Fair enough and no doubt shows that we can't always trust the memory of trained loco engineers. (E.S. Cox in this case), 

And my O Gauge version of the same loco. Photographed on Marsh Lane MPD of Preston O Gauge Group. Model was built from a DJB kit well over twenty years ago but has undergone several upgrades in the intervening years. Runs like a sewing machine with a Canon/ABC motor/gearbox.

82003  (108).JPG

• Like 17
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

To think that started with a conversation with Dave Knowling and myself when lighting up an Austrety at Buckfastleigh way back in 1997...

I have the spare smokbox numberplate in my workshop still un painted.... must finish it oneday ...

See she's got a SR route indicator what shed code is it 72A?

Edited by John Besley
  • Like 2