Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

What I can't do is all that rivet detail on the tank and smokebox. 

Everything else is pretty straightforward and no, I won't be placing the fireman on the running plate! 

I do like the lifting rings either end of the tank though.

I have the same challenge with my U1, so need to investigate rivet decals. If I recall correctly, they'd an American product the military modellers use. More info once it reveals itself.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, longchap said:

I have the same challenge with my U1, so need to investigate rivet decals. If I recall correctly, they'd an American product the military modellers use. More info once it reveals itself.

If it's the Archer range, then I'm afraid you've missed the boat as the one-man-band who was Archer has packed it in in favour of looking after rescue cats. But if it's another equally good - and obtainable in the UK - product, I'd be interested to know about it!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Graham T said:

Here you go - Railtec rivets (no connection etc etc)

Thanks. Come to think of it I had looked at that before but, IIRC, they didn't have the 7 mm range then. Using them to represent bolt heads / nuts on bolt ends for 4 mm scale wagons, one wants the larger sizes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Thanks. Come to think of it I had looked at that before but, IIRC, they didn't have the 7 mm range then. Using them to represent bolt heads / nuts on bolt ends for 4 mm scale wagons, one wants the larger sizes.

With the demise of Archers I decided to bite the bullet, take up the mantle and release a new range of no fewer than 128 new packs of rivets spanning 4mm & 7mm. Sounds like you caught it in the few days when I'd put out all the 4mm but hadn't yet implemented the 7mm range. Anyway, here you go:

https://www.railtec-transfers.com/rivets/

Edited by railtec-models
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 6

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, railtec-models said:

Thanks. I've ordered a couple of sheets of larger sizes, that correspond to 1¾" and 2¼" bolt heads in 4 mm scale - useful sizes for wagons. I then got fatally distracted by your S&DJR wagon transfers...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

53 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I've tried, tried and tried some some more to try and find what's causing it and can't establish any commonality between anyone who's suffering with it. Everything's accessible when not logged in but blanks out when logged in. That indicates it's a cookie issue but I've tried everything I can with multiple people and the software people have tried too.

Thanks for trying, at least I now know that it's not pilot error as we've exhausted all the usual methods at this end too.

2068409931_dis-crop-axethrowing-3502.jpg.f1a3f89ac23b8ba74254fc9880dc65ab.jpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

44 minutes ago, railtec-models said:

Anyway, here you go:

https://www.railtec-transfers.com/rivets/

Thank you to everyone who provided advice and to @railtec-models for the link to the rivet transfers, damn it I've now run out of excuses  that has really helped with a number of projects that I have in mind. I hate you all... I really need to draw up a list of priorities and stick to it. The spare room is going to be a tip forever at this rate  At least it will keep me out of trouble.

• Like 4
  • Funny 8
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
On 31/12/2022 at 11:40, MrWolf said:

5541080542_821e522040_b.jpg.d32f152c9dd4a332c9fe6f2137d2862b.jpg 

I have a feeling that I read somewhere recently that this loco was originally from the L&SWR, was then sold to a pre-grouping Welsh company (possibly  the Brecon & Merthyr) and hence ended up in GWR ownership?

• RMweb Gold

I've been busy in the garden this afternoon, tidying many trees worth of fallen leaves, so only just spotted this brilliant detective teamwork.  Thank you all and especially to @railtec-models for taking up the mantle and providing for an obvious gap needing fulfilment for us modellers.

I will be adding my order once I make a careful survey of U1 photographs and pray that Railtec can deliver to France without too much difficulty.

Back outside to tidy up before it gets dark.

Edited by longchap
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I have a feeling that I read somewhere recently that this loco was originally from the L&SWR, was then sold to a pre-grouping Welsh company (possibly  the Brecon & Merthyr) and hence ended up in GWR ownership?

Not quite - rather the other way round, and the LSWR not coming into it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_Dean_experimental_locomotives#No._1490.

I think you are thinking of GWR No. 1391, ex-B&M No. 44, ex-LSWR No. 376:

Brecon and Merthyr Tydfil Junction Railway 44

[Embedded link to flikr.]

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, longchap said:

I will be adding my order once I make a careful survey of U1 photographs and pray that Railtec can deliver to France without too much difficulty.

Pas de soucis! I even write "Ne pas plier svp" on the front of envelopes headed to France lest La Poste staff mistakenly interpret "please do not bend" as "please bend here". Delivery success rate to mainland Europe is as good (if not better) as it is to the UK. And now I've probably gone and jinxed it...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Not quite - rather the other way round, and the LSWR not coming into it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_Dean_experimental_locomotives#No._1490.

I think you are thinking of GWR No. 1391, ex-B&M No. 44, ex-LSWR No. 376:

Brecon and Merthyr Tydfil Junction Railway 44

[Embedded link to flikr.]

Well, that's very interesting!

I was going from a caption to a photo, showing the 4-4-0PT in 'Railways & Industry on the Brecon & Merthyr' by John Hodge (Pen & Sword Publishing), page 201 (probably can't reproduce a photo of the page without copyright).

The picture shows the 4-4-0PT standing outside White Rose Signal Box (prior to being renamed New Tredegar). The loco is indeed described as B&M No. 44 and is described as an ex-L&SWR 4-4-2T No. 0376. Clearly the loco in the actual photo is a 4-4-0 tank loco and I supposed that it must have been rebuilt at some stage, to lose the trailing wheelset.

However, it now seems likely that the caption is wrong and I must also stand corrected!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

I was going from a caption to a photo, showing the 4-4-0PT in 'Railways & Industry on the Brecon & Merthyr' by John Hodge (Pen & Sword Publishing), page 201 (probably can't reproduce a photo of the page without copyright).

That sounds to me that it's the photo that's wrong, not the caption. Some muddle in compiling the book - it happens. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That sounds to me that it's the photo that's wrong, not the caption. Some muddle in compiling the book - it happens. 

Only problem with that is that it shows White Rose signal box in the background, this being located in the environs of New Tredegar! Possibly the author has mis-identified the loco itself?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

I'll add my comment here on the Railtec rivets. Overall they are very good and easy to apply and move about being water slide transfers, though they were a bit annoying to get in a straight line

Here are a couple of the photos if the link hasn't worked for you, both a close up and more general view

PXL_20220830_200134728.jpg.117ddf2bcf07e92e0684eb5319b46f7f.jpg525457677_PXL_20220907_2118165952.jpg.4cdb25b3b0642b6ffca58fe18b3cf1ce.jpg

That ladder would be scarry...

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Back with oddball GWR locos, here we see 4-4-0 County of Leicester hitched to the eight wheel tender salvaged from The Great Bear. 

https://m.facebook.com/DidcotRailwayCentre/photos/a.210517012308528/4816078931752290/

The question is: Were the most recent versions of the County class made by Hornby loco drive, as it would mean that I could have two tenders for one renumbered accordingly, or did they stick with the godawful tender drive?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/01/2023 at 02:08, MrWolf said:

The toolboxes I had didn't look enough like the ones on 530 so got modified. The smokebox door handles are a beautifully machined three piece article from Markets.

Grey primer is to highlight anything that needs filling.

IMG_20230104_010538.jpg.b8b43bd7bfeb078ed7a0dd5d62766b44.jpg

Wow! That looks fantastic Rob 👍

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

I'll add my comment here on the Railtec rivets. Overall they are very good and easy to apply and move about being water slide transfers, though they were a bit annoying to get in a straight line

Here are a couple of the photos if the link hasn't worked for you, both a close up and more general view

PXL_20220830_200134728.jpg.117ddf2bcf07e92e0684eb5319b46f7f.jpg525457677_PXL_20220907_2118165952.jpg.4cdb25b3b0642b6ffca58fe18b3cf1ce.jpg

That's a cracking looking building you've created which looks as solid as the real thing, something that a lot of large models fail to do, so I've hit the follow button on your thread.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Back with oddball GWR locos, here we see 4-4-0 County of Leicester hitched to the eight wheel tender salvaged from The Great Bear. 

https://m.facebook.com/DidcotRailwayCentre/photos/a.210517012308528/4816078931752290/

The question is: Were the most recent versions of the County class made by Hornby loco drive, as it would mean that I could have two tenders for one renumbered accordingly, or did they stick with the godawful tender drive?

I have a loco drive County from one of these train packs which, I presume, came out in 2012:

IMG_20230107_102230.jpg.afa4dd87cb21a73305f15f52f9c9ddbf.jpgIMG_20230107_102221.jpg.19faaca08e4afd6ded24916885a6e2ca.jpg

It has traction tyres on the front driving wheels (though one has disintegrated) and a multi -wire connection between loco and tender - presumably for DCC:

IMG_20230107_102315.jpg.78b22bd88f4e9ef8fde785fdf6270f52.jpg

IMG_20230107_102430.jpg.9d046c37f526d13c771295c2fcd2d196.jpgIMG_20230107_102510.jpg.680b1e03cb21190855e3e89c4eae8c34.jpg

The tender appears to have the old (tender-drive) body, with high coal load, but a new, free running, chunky chassis.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Thanks for the information on the County class @Nick Gough, @5 C. That gives me what I need to go hunting for a suitable loco.

Miniscule progress on 530, I've been distracted by other things around here.

The tank fillers weren't entirely straightforward. I had to cut the location pegs off, plug the holes in the tank with the pegs...

IMG_20230109_163608.jpg

.... and fit the fillers further back as per the original.

IMG_20230109_235627.jpg.6420eaf387d297a4a4615e1e781d8ca2.jpg

Next job is fit the breathers behind the toolboxes, rather than the middle of the tank.

Edited by MrWolf
Epic Fail
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

On 06/01/2023 at 20:16, John Besley said:

That ladder would be scarry...

On 07/01/2023 at 10:47, Mike_Walker said:

I always think the same when I see the similar one at Didcot but then I always like to have my feet firmly on terra-firmer...

It's funny, I don't think anything of going 200ft up a series of vertical cat ladders on a petrochemicals crack tower, or jumping out of a perfectly good aeroplane, but there's something unnerving about those old, whippy little wrought iron ladders that stretch out over nothing like those on signals and water towers.

It pays not to think about it and slog your way to the top in one go, focusing entirely on the task in hand.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3