Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

I've seen Eli Wood recently somewhere else, it's really beautifully put together. I often think that the temptation with N gauge and especially those based on the current / recent scene is for the makers to put as much track down as possible. Layouts like that one are really impressive to me as I can't handle anything that small, just because I have no interest in doing it myself, doesn't mean I can't appreciate it.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

There are some really impressive N gauge layouts on RMweb, I have to say.  It doesn't really appeal to me, as I struggle enough with 4mm scale, but I can see the appeal of being able to do a lovely "trains in the landscape" layout, where it's mostly empty countryside...

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

IMG_20230202_225726.jpg.bfdfa5e1dc27e81c9b548ada33807451.jpg

In the morning I should be able to remove the elastic bands and throw the wagon in the bin...

Other bits in shot are the rest of the van kit, the aforementioned lineshaft, odd spares for the garage interior, the slimmed down and painted crew figures for 530, a small bucket for 2291, a large bucket for the crossing house yard, a resin Cambrian Railways van that is on the naughty step just for being resin and a very old Mike's Models GWR platform shelter which may just find it's way onto an IKEA shelf model of one of the intermediate stations on the line.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

True multitasking !
Those van axleboxes remind me of my Triang TT wagons of yesteryear, but I’m sure they are much more sophisticated than that.

I’m glad you are giving employment to disabled footplate men.

Edited by Limpley Stoker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

In the morning I should be able to remove the elastic bands and throw the wagon in the bin...

Take the wheels and under gubbins off and stick the van in the corner of a field, heavily overgrown to hide any deficiencies in the construction. 

• Like 3

I've just blown £26 on 48 steel buffers from H&A, most of which will end up on the cattle train as I remember the Cooper Craft items being very close to scale and rather fragile for my paws.

Of course Google came up with other suggestions such as an eBay seller offering a pack of twelve suspiciously similar items for £13.50 plus £1.50 post.

God loves a tryer!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

42 minutes ago, cliff park said:

One thought. In my memories of old garages, 1950s on, I never remember seeing such a clean floor. Think of years of oil spills and grease, they were always horrible

You're absolutely right of course, I remember the same thing from the surviving old garages.

The bench is soaked (as is my own inherited bench that I nail a fresh bit of hardboard to every few years) and now that the machines are placed, we need more muck and probably duck boards in front of the machines to stop turnings being embedded in the soles of one's boots and keeping off the concrete on winter mornings.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A fastidious garage owner could have keep his floors clean by the judicious use of oil trays under leaky cars and enough staff to clean up after each job.
I like the floor as it is if the roof is to be permanently attached -  that’s’ a proper garage !

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You're absolutely right of course, I remember the same thing from the surviving old garages.

The bench is soaked (as is my own inherited bench that I nail a fresh bit of hardboard to every few years) and now that the machines are placed, we need more muck and probably duck boards in front of the machines to stop turnings being embedded in the soles of one's boots and keeping off the concrete on winter mornings.

And on the walls particularly at the base of them where things will have splashed/spilt onto them. Oh and don't forget the cobwebs as well.

• Like 1

There's likely to be oil around the lathes and under the bench where it's hard to sweep in sawdust or the other favourite, cement dust, plus there's dobs of oil and belt soap up the wall behind the lathe but probably not too much as the place would only have been operating for ten to fifteen years.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

There's likely to be oil around the lathes and under the bench where it's hard to sweep in sawdust or the other favourite, cement dust, plus there's dobs of oil and belt soap up the wall behind the lathe but probably not too much as the place would only have been operating for ten to fifteen years.

So as its 'relatively' new then does that mean no cobwebs then?

Edited by Winslow Boy

5 minutes ago, Nick Gough said:

I say!

That calendar's a bit 'near'.

You can see the young lady's knees!

I can remember being transfixed by what was probably a Pirelli calendar in our local garage when I was about six.

I don't know what I want to do here, but I know that I want to do a lot of it....

(Danny John Jules, Red dwarf's "Cat")

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I can remember being transfixed by what was probably a Pirelli calendar in our local garage when I was about six.

I never understood how they found girls with tyre tread for skin...

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

23 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I never understood how they found girls with tyre tread for skin...

Nowadays they just canvas outside Gregg's...

That way they can cover calendars for Pirelli and Michelin in one hit....

• Like 2
  • Funny 3