RMweb

Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold

One red lamp: https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrss_bl973.htm

One lamp on each gate: https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrlr947.htm

One lamp, can't see the othe gate: https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrss_bl969.htm

Red lamp, on a post next to the gate, looks like it rotates: https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrsf3025.htm

And that's just on one branch...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

On the subject of level crossings, perhaps one of you can tell me for definite what the lighting arrangement was?

I seem to have read somewhere that there was a platform type oil lamp next to the crossing on the facing side of the road which had one red glass which faced the traffic.

Anyone such as @The Stationmaster know where I might find such information?

Interesting question.  What I don't know about is any RTA type requirement for klights at or near a level crossing but there were crossings which had a lamp which showed a red light towards approaching road traffic and white in every other direction  - see photo linked below.

As far as the BoT/MoT Requirements concerned it was very straightforward at any level crossing where the railway crossed a public road - the gates gad to have a red target (most were round but rectangular ones did exist) which showed towards road traic when teh gates were shut to road/open for rail and towards rail traffic when the gates were open for road traffic (see exception below) the gates also had to  carry a red light exhibited in a similar manner to the red target,

Exception - the target and red light was not required to be exhibited towards approaching trains when the gates were open to road traffic if the level crossing was protected by fixed signals.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/27540468058

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

1 hour ago, Nick C said:

One red lamp: https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrss_bl973.htm

One lamp on each gate: https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrlr947.htm

One lamp, can't see the othe gate: https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrss_bl969.htm

Red lamp, on a post next to the gate, looks like it rotates: https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrsf3025.htm

And that's just on one branch...

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Interesting question.  What I don't know about is any RTA type requirement for klights at or near a level crossing but there were crossings which had a lamp which showed a red light towards approaching road traffic and white in every other direction  - see photo linked below.

As far as the BoT/MoT Requirements concerned it was very straightforward at any level crossing where the railway crossed a public road - the gates gad to have a red target (most were round but rectangular ones did exist) which showed towards road traic when teh gates were shut to road/open for rail and towards rail traffic when the gates were open for road traffic (see exception below) the gates also had to  carry a red light exhibited in a similar manner to the red target,

Exception - the target and red light was not required to be exhibited towards approaching trains when the gates were open to road traffic if the level crossing was protected by fixed signals.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/27540468058

Thank you both for the information, I'll be having a dig around for some more oil lamps like those on the platforms.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's very nice of you to offer and don't put yourself down on the awareness front. I remember walking along four abreast (and stone cold sober!) with some friends and discussing all the usual stuff. To our right was a long row of cars parked at ninety degrees to the kerb and amongst them, sticking out a couple of feet was an old Land Rover Safari, painted white and fitted with the spare wheel(s), roof rack,  ladder and all the other bolt on goodies that suggest you holiday in Patagonia rather than Paignton.

The friend to my right was yapping away until the bang as he walked straight into the back corner of the refugee from Daktari and knocked himself silly.

Twas indeed one of those "I can't believe you've just done that" moments.

Nothing wrong with Paignton....

1252093840_PaigntonBRPoster.jpg.4a8ae37b5ac0d734a98683e6630ddc58.jpg

Yours truly 

A Paigntonian 

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 2

8 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Nothing wrong with Paignton....

1252093840_PaigntonBRPoster.jpg.4a8ae37b5ac0d734a98683e6630ddc58.jpg

Yours truly 

A Paigntonian 

There certainly isn't, it was just the kind of place that you don't need a Land Rover Safari with the full Dormobile Desert Rat Conversion.

Although whoever painted the poster had a pretty vivid imagination!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Just now, MrWolf said:

There certainly isn't, it was just the kind of place that you don't need a Land Rover Safari with the full Dormobile Desert Rat Conversion.

Although whoever painted the poster had a pretty vivid imagination!

Absolutely as that bit of beach beside the harbour, bears very little resemblance and is definstly not nice sand - more shingle, as for the sun bathing blonde, to get to that point she would have to have climbed a sandstone wall and laid down on a narrow shelf of rock basically or fallen over the edge... 

Besides there is an East wind running as that point faces due east so not the best day for sitting on that bit of beach...

Otherwise nice picture of town... if you take a vertical line directly from the blondes head to the skyline row of houses that would be about where I am sat right now in Blatchcombe Road

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

That's nothing - I used to live in Rhyl...    (shudders)

My sympathies...

Though you appear (somehow) to have survived. Do you have an unusual number of fingers, toes, heads or other appendages?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Gypsy said:

My sympathies...

Though you appear (somehow) to have survived. Do you have an unusual number of fingers, toes, heads or other appendages?

I can count up to 11...

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I can count up to 11...

That's as maybe but you're still classed as an outsider until your cousinbrother or wifesistermum has burgled / mugged you or claimed benefits in your name to fund their crack addiction....

• Funny 6

9 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Agreed and the same could also be said of Chuffnell Regis. I'm quite sure that Rob and many others would agree

Definitely. When you think how many layouts there must be on this site that are within our area of interest, I think that all of us narrow it down to the layouts that impress, educate or inspire us in some way.

• Like 2
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Definitely. When you think how many layouts there must be on this site that are within our area of interest, I think that all of us narrow it down to the layouts that impress, educate or inspire us in some way.

And including the chat on the thread drifts... (trying to find some SR layouts that fit this ...ideas welcome)

1 hour ago, John Besley said:

And including the chat on the thread drifts... (trying to find some SR layouts that fit this ...ideas welcome)

It does get a bit odd on here and other Midlands / Wales / West Country threads.

In my defense there is an unambiguous warning on the first page of this thread about (but not limited to) outdated language and attitudes which may cause offense or panic attacks, some rather dark humour which is born of CPTSD coping strategies, cross eyed hunting dogs, things that go bang and a charming posh young lady with documented mental health issues who likes blowing stuff up.

Are you saying that the SR modellers are, like... er, well..... Squares?

• Like 6
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It’s also been interesting taking part in a thread in a different bit of the forum and a whole load of “new” modellers start to appear.

We all no doubt have our favoured layouts that we look at, then possibly a couple of manufacturers threads, plus a few other bits.

Then to add my Metro tank build into the thread in the kits section, you start to come across a very different set of individuals. Some of whom have some very different ideas and some can be quite forthright! 

Anyway, back to Aston and that garden scene looks very good, you can almost see the manure still steaming 😎

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Not much done tonight, we were both guilty of getting too comfortable to move.

But I have gathered a few bits together where the paint has dried and added a little more to the crossing house garden.

From L to R:

Washing line post, must get the line put up! 

A barrow full of well rotted manure from the goods yard. 

An old chair for a little relaxation.

A small tin bath full of split wood and kindling. 

A chopping block with axe.

More wood and bark everywhere. 

A saw horse with cross cutter leaning on it.

The next job will be to construct a bin for the manure I think.

IMG_20230223_232536.jpg.c17d7130f409a939e8b3c036ffcfea25.jpg

Now this is exactly what I mean about attention to detail.  I have a washing line post on my layout, but it's just a (sloppily) painted scrap of plastic strip.  Yours even has the - whatever they ares - arranged in right angles at the top.  And the gravel underneath the line, the manure, the chopping block, the colour and texture of the earth...

Simply top drawer!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Washing line post, must get the line put up! 

A barrow full of well rotted manure from the goods yard. 

An old chair for a little relaxation.

A small tin bath full of split wood and kindling. 

A chopping block with axe.

More wood and bark everywhere. 

A saw horse with cross cutter leaning on it.

Not to forget the old enamel sign repurposed to repair part of the shed cladding. Most prototypical, we'll observed and modelled Rob.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It does get a bit odd on here and other Midlands / Wales / West Country threads.

In my defense there is an unambiguous warning on the first page of this thread about (but not limited to) outdated language and attitudes which may cause offense or panic attacks, some rather dark humour which is born of CPTSD coping strategies, cross eyed hunting dogs, things that go bang and a charming posh young lady with documented mental health issues who likes blowing stuff up.

21 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Well, I sort of fell into following Little Muddle and other layouts ghst got a mention from there... and other amusing / informative topics... but haven't bumped into and SR layouts in the same way exactly.. maybe I haven't hunted hard enough

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Well, I sort of fell into following Little Muddle and other layouts ghst got a mention from there... and other amusing / informative topics... but haven't bumped into and SR layouts in the same way exactly.. maybe I haven't hunted hard enough

Oddly enough I not only fell into following Little Muddle, it got me back into railway modelling after about twenty years.

That of course led to assorted other layouts, but there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of Southern Railway happening, or even Southern Region. Anything I've seen in the flesh from that neck of the woods seems to be post privatisation, occasionally there's something really nice in the monthlies but that's about it.

• Like 6