Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's interesting, are the solebars laminated in some way?

Rob,

If you search ;Dean Bogie' on my thread you will find links to the build, and it has pictures.  The sides of the bogie are laminated, the solebars are just added to it and the top is a piece of 40 thou plasticard.  Although I have not yet attached it to anything the method I have used is copied from people who have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

You're right and I don't take chances with my eyesight, although I've had a couple of near misses and it makes me cringe seeing people using angle grinders etc without safety glasses.

Yes, don't be the muppet using his lathe to turn some steel, halfway through the job thinking "maybe I should put my safety glasses on" and then seconds later seeing a slow motion vapour trail heading right for their eye. Luckily it was steel, Igrabbed one of my welding magents stuck to the dexion racking in my workshop and the chip of steel pinged out of my eye. It still hurt like f#@% though. I don't think ally would have been easy to get out. Now I always remember to don glasses first.

Edited by 57xx
  • Friendly/supportive 15

• RMweb Gold

Eyes are the topic in this house too. Marion has Glaucoma but not too serious yet. She also has cataracts one was dealt with on Tuesday  the other will be done this Tuesday. Currently the two eyes are fighting as the focal lengths are different. Her glasses are right for the one still to be done but the other could see better. Some glasses will be needed going on as they cannot  get both near and far vision right but that will need to wait some weeks until the eyes get used to the new lenses.

Don

• Friendly/supportive 16

On 10/09/2023 at 09:40, 57xx said:

Yes, don't be the muppet using his lathe to turn some steel, halfway through the job thinking "maybe I should put my safety glasses on" and then seconds later seeing a slow motion vapour trail heading right for their eye. Luckily it was steel, Igrabbed one of my welding magents stuck to the dexion racking in my workshop and the chip of steel pinged out of my eye. It still hurt like f#@% though. I don't think ally would have been easy to get out. Now I always remember to don glasses first.

I've had a piece of metal properly stuck in my eye once, I'd been wearing a face screen and was fine until I brushed the muck out of my hair. They put your head in a kind of vice in hospital with a big magnifier in front of it, so the probe that pulls out the bit of metal looks like a scaffolding pole. Not good.

On 10/09/2023 at 21:45, Donw said:

Eyes are the topic in this house too. Marion has Glaucoma but not too serious yet. She also has cataracts one was dealt with on Tuesday  the other will be done this Tuesday. Currently the two eyes are fighting as the focal lengths are different. Her glasses are right for the one still to be done but the other could see better. Some glasses will be needed going on as they cannot  get both near and far vision right but that will need to wait some weeks until the eyes get used to the new lenses.

Don

My mother had one removed last year, she'd been due to have it done but lockdown got in the way, but it's apparently made a big difference.

• Friendly/supportive 9

Progress now I can see properly again, but nothing very exciting.

Lots and lots of seats.

IMG_20230911_223818.jpg.adbbfa59b9392c104c18e6417f523699.jpg

Some of the used seat mouldings had been painted blue, VW Indian Blue if I had to guess.

Does anyone know what basic colours the seats were, late 19th century 1st, 2nd and 3rd class on the GWR?

Also 3rd on the Midland Railway?

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Also 3rd on the Midland Railway?

Trick question, I think.

'Third class accommodation in clerestory and other carriages built from 1897 onwards was upholstered with moquette, often figured and not always crimson; in 1912 a dark blue and yellow one was used. In 1900 there is mention of "backs of monogram moquette" and in 1913 of "figured velvet crimson and black No. 3 pattern".'

Midland Style, pp. 116-7.

To my mind "not always crimson" implies that crimson was the usual colour. Some monochrome examples:

6-wheel composite No. 901, photographed c. 1892 (higher seat backs introduced that year):

64105.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of MRSC 64105.]

Clerestory non-corridor composite No. 3636, built 1903, photographed c, 1906-7:

65001.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of MRSC 65001.]

Elliptical-roof corridor third No. 1348, c. 1922:

64220.jpg

[Embedded link to catalogue thumbnail of MRSC 64220.]

The NRM's interpretation; the 6-wheel composite restored as No. 901 (using the above photo as reference) though original number unknown:

450px-Midland_railway_carriage_interior.

[Embedded link: James E. Petts / Wikimedia Commons.]

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

On 11/09/2023 at 23:46, MrWolf said:

I've had a piece of metal properly stuck in my eye once, I'd been wearing a face screen and was fine until I brushed the muck out of my hair. They put your head in a kind of vice in hospital with a big magnifier in front of it, so the probe that pulls out the bit of metal looks like a scaffolding pole. Not good.

My mother had one removed last year, she'd been due to have it done but lockdown got in the way, but it's apparently made a big difference.

I managed to get swarf in my eye during basic trade training...like an idiot. After seeing the M.O. and having the offending article removed I was told to wear an eyepatch. The Medical Commander saw it and told the MO to "take the damn thing off as we may be Navy but we're not bloody pirates" :)

I can recommend having your cataract removed. Absolutely amazing! Although all the colours look wrong now....white is REALLY white....!!

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I do not have my own laptop at the moment, and my internet is extremely flakey but when it sorts itself out I will post more about seat colours, although @Compound2632 may have covered it all, and will also post links to the Dean Bogie in a way they are easy to find.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, that would be much appreciated.

I have found amongst my junk, a white metal 6'4" bogie, there must be another somewhere. I think that it's one of the very old and no longer available items from 247 Developments.

IMG_20230913_232329.jpg.01dd4ccbc998ced6831f94c6e1e82075.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The main reason for fitting what I have is to give the impression that there is something inside and so that you can't see into one compartment and through another.

The old K's E116 B Set kit has neither floor nor partitions as supplied, so I added those, without seats, and painted it all black for that reason. You can't see whether there are seats or not.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

Is the lorry an old Dublo Dinky model?

Afraid not, it's a regular O scale model made from 1953-59. I suspect that if it were OO, many would have been detailed, glazed and probably received a wheel swap. They're not one of those models that fetch silly money, that one cost me £9.

Below is an illustrated list of all Dublo Dinky models. There's a number of commercials, including an artic flatbed based on the 1952-59 Bedford A type:

http://rodgersantiques.co.uk/?p=2839

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, ChrisN said:

Here is a copy from Harris, which lists the interiors from 1890 to 1950.

HarrisGWRCoachInteriors.jpg.ee521edde4ab484c5c531de524126e70.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks Chris, it's looking like Crimson for first and second class, fawn for steerage class.

This is a sample of Crimson plush chenille fabric, which is inspired by the Midland Railway sample posted by  @Compound2632, I'll mix up a little acrylic like that for the GWR vehicles and try to get as close to the coach photo for the ex Midland Railway/ MSWJR coach.

4788_Main-850-850.webp.aa0871945fad52fd8739e8f4d7957931.webp

Not that the shade difference will be noticeable with the roof on!

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no load.
  • Like 9

The problem with clicking carelessly on these pages is that it often leads to temptation:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/product/dia-e140-b-set-gwr-shirtbutton-livery/

These I have no doubt will be far superior to the last RTR offering, (Something that gets slated for its inaccuracies, but let's not forget it was forty five years ago and they were like something from another planet at the time.) I have had a good look at the unpainted prototype pictures and I'm sure that they will sell out.

That said, I have several mint Airfix versions I couldn't sell and I can't really justify / afford the asking price, particularly as the Memsahib's current job is possibly as much learning as it is earning.

About a thousand years ago it seems, I did take a marquetry chisel to all those fictional door handle surrounds, block off a window IIRC and add some underframe details to a pair of B sets.

I think that there was a how to article in one of the monthly comics, but I'm not 100% certain. 

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The problem with clicking carelessly on these pages is that it often leads to temptation:

https://rapidotrains.co.uk/product/dia-e140-b-set-gwr-shirtbutton-livery/

These I have no doubt will be far superior to the last RTR offering, (Something that gets slated for its inaccuracies, but let's not forget it was forty five years ago and they were like something from another planet at the time.) I have had a good look at the unpainted prototype pictures and I'm sure that they will sell out.

That said, I have several mint Airfix versions I couldn't sell and I can't really justify / afford the asking price, particularly as the Memsahib's current job is possibly as much learning as it is earning.

About a thousand years ago it seems, I did take a marquetry chisel to all those fictional door handle surrounds, block off a window IIRC and add some underframe details to a pair of B sets.

I think that there was a how to article in one of the monthly comics, but I'm not 100% certain. 

That B-set does look superb, but it's about twice what I'd comfortably pay for a coach.  I'm not saying they aren't worth it (excuse the poor English), just that it's more than I would want to spend.

Also, I'd be terrified of handling the things in case I broke something off!  A bit like the AS Manor.

And finally, they would make all the other stock on my layout look glaringly inferior...

Edited by Graham T
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

They do look exquisite Rob but at that price I would expect them to be.

Definitely. Coaches have always been (understandably) at a premium, but they have really jumped in recent years.

19 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I suspect/know that I'm turning into a crusty old skin flint.

No, you still have your warped sense of humour, as do I.

It's a very useful coping mechanism when you're as poor as a crow....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

7 minutes ago, Graham T said:

That B-set does look superb, but it's about twice what I'd comfortably pay for a coach.  I'm not saying they aren't worth it (excuse the poor English), just that it's more than I would want to spend.

Agreed. I have a budget for my modelling and I have to stick with it and keep things in proportion. I consider myself very lucky to be able to keep trains and motorcycles as a hobby. I know plenty of chaps who earn more than me who have had to give up everything to fund big houses, furniture, holidays, three children etc...

Also, I'd be terrified of handling the things in case I broke something off!  A bit like the ASA Manor.

My Bachmann Dukedog makes me nervous enough, especially as I have a tendency to drop things when my dodgy hand suddenly decides to catch me out.

And finally, they would make all the other stock on my layout look glaringly inferior...

Likewise. All of my coaching stock is either Airfix, Mainline or sawn up Tri-ang. But I'm working on them all!

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

I had mentioned my 6ft 4" Dean Bogie, and in answer to a question about it I said, rather rudely I think, 'search my thread'.  My excuse is that I had not been well, but I felt I should gather together all the links to when I built mine onto a Word document.

The document is here on my thread.  That way I will not clutter this one up and I will know how much, if any interest there is in it.  

Disclaimer:  I know it runs smoothly as a bogie, but I have not yet put one, or even two under anything and seen that it actually works.

Edited by ChrisN
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, ChrisN said:

I had mentioned my 6ft 4" Dean Bogie, and in answer to a question about it I said, rather rudely I think, 'search my thread'.  My excuse is that I had not been well, but I felt I should gather together all the links to when I built mine onto a Word document.

The document is here on my thread.  That way I will not clutter this one up and I will know how much, if any interest there is in it.  

Disclaimer:  I know it runs smoothly as a bogie, but I have not yet put one, or even two under anything and seen that it actually works.

Not at all, I'm not certain how to search within a topic though, perhaps it's not a feature of the mobile friendly version? 

My mobile won't open the DocX, just to annoy me...😄

• Friendly/supportive 1