The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Peter Alliss dies aged 89

I agree. He always made me chuckle with his observations on golf. Funnily enough I heard him on the BBC highlights programme on The Masters a few weeks ago and his voice had changed considerably, so suspected he wasn't 100%.

A wonderful commentator who didn't talk for the sake of it and yet always found something interesting to add to the TV footage.

RIP Peter. Thanks for your pearls of wisdom.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

59 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

I too was surprised that he had gone to Augusta in the present circumstances when he was clearly struggling. Will miss his gentle humour and commentary.

Very few, if any TV crews/commentators actually went to Augusta. The commentaries were all from the UK, with Sky using an area set up within their Isleworth studio. I’m fairly certain Peter may have been commentating from home for the BBC from a live TV feed.

I was really surprised by the change in Peter’s voice. It had gone up by a couple of octaves and at first I didn’t realise it was him, so rewound the recording to check it was the Peter I had listened to for years.

His dry wit and humour will be sadly missed.