you're tool box

Hi all so something I see a lot is ways I used to do things is so obsolete now with new methods and tools so a question to you all.

on you're work bench, working space what ever you have what are you're go too tools and materials.

i have the usual knives screw drivers etc. but i also have a air compressor to air brush base colours on my scenery and for weathering and various other bits and bobs. tools i really like the look of are the ballasting tools, but looking at hats around compared to ten years ago its all a bit mind numbing so what are the go to tools you have what you find a necessity and why?

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, lwnameplates said:

Hi all so something I see a lot is ways I used to do things is so obsolete now with new methods and tools so a question to you all.

on you're work bench, working space what ever you have what are you're go too tools and materials.

i have the usual knives screw drivers etc. but i also have a air compressor to air brush base colours on my scenery and for weathering and various other bits and bobs. tools i really like the look of are the ballasting tools, but looking at hats around compared to ten years ago its all a bit mind numbing so what are the go to tools you have what you find a necessity and why?

RMWeb? :D Because it tells me everything lol!

Think it has to be my RSU. It's made life much easier.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Apologies - I should have said instead of assuming. Resistance Soldering Unit - https://traders.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/various/soldering-materials-and-tools/

just had a look at that, what's the difference between that and a normal soldering iron, does look a interesting piece of kit

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, lwnameplates said:

just had a look at that, what's the difference between that and a normal soldering iron, does look a interesting piece of kit

It's kind of like a spot welder - you apply power when you are ready - it's not hot all the time. So you can hold things in place with the probe and only actually make the joint when ready. You can also use a lot less solder so less cleanup to do and don't need to buy it as often. It's a wonderful piece of kit.

This was an early piece - I used far too much solder cream:

147814407_10-RoofventreadytoRSU.jpg.f47be4c6f3e3754eda3ef6bf59c90970.jpg

442684536_11-holdingmethod.jpg.85cc5477eb2dcef0d1f18be604916f66.jpg

642603694_12-RSUinplace.jpg.d73c33ad18f6668b8f76409dd95faef6.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, lwnameplates said:

If you've got half an hour to spare, you might find this informative.

https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/resistance-soldering-demonstration/

Adrian

• Like 2

I find that my most used tools are a digital caliper, a small engineer's square, and a little pencil tin of scalpels, small files, a pin vise and bits, a pencil, scribe, and a couple small steel rulers. This and a soldering iron is all I really need 99% of the time.

1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

It's kind of like a spot welder - you apply power when you are ready - it's not hot all the time. So you can hold things in place with the probe and only actually make the joint when ready. You can also use a lot less solder so less cleanup to do and don't need to buy it as often. It's a wonderful piece of kit.

This was an early piece - I used far too much solder cream:

147814407_10-RoofventreadytoRSU.jpg.f47be4c6f3e3754eda3ef6bf59c90970.jpg

442684536_11-holdingmethod.jpg.85cc5477eb2dcef0d1f18be604916f66.jpg

642603694_12-RSUinplace.jpg.d73c33ad18f6668b8f76409dd95faef6.jpg

I must admit I really like the concept of it, so if I'm correct it means you would be able to solder wires to the track etc and not cause as much damage to sleeper such as with the conventional methods?

Most used tool at the moment is a NorthWest ShortLine Chopper 2 - I'm needing to cut a lot of wood strip to set lengths for buildings and after doing a small shed using just a knife and rule rapidly looked for a better solution. It's not a perfectly designed tool, but does the job pretty well.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

For me the go-to tools are usually a Stanley knife that takes the place of fiddly scalpels and craft knifes, a pin vice and a 6" steel ruler. But my most useful tool is a cheap rotary tool used by manicurists to shape nails, which cost me £7 new on eBay: it's takes the normal mini-tool accessories but has much slower speeds than the usual modelling mini-tools. 

(And because I hate soldering, I also keep cheap bottles of superglue, chocolate-block connector strips for wiring and pre-soldered fishplates. Okay, they're materials rather than tools, but they mean I don't have to keep a soldering iron.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, lwnameplates said:

I must admit I really like the concept of it, so if I'm correct it means you would be able to solder wires to the track etc and not cause as much damage to sleeper such as with the conventional methods?

I've not tried it for that but probably yes if you cut the probe point to a fine enough tip.

12 hours ago, Mark said:

Most useful tool I have bought this year is a pair of ceramic tipped tweezers. Perfect for soldering small bits together

looking at the soldering mentioned i do think these will have to be an investment to make.

and wow people have a really diverse range of tools that they like really nice to see.

• Like 1

Vernier caliper - I couldn't live without it! I also have digital ones, but prefer a Vernier. It doesn't need batteries for a start and IMHO is more accurate.

Other more obvious are pin vice with drill bits (cheap on eBay at present), steel rule, cutting mat.

This is probably less useful than a vernier in our context but I saw it on a market stall many years ago and had to have it!

WP_20180722_16_34_48_Pro.jpg.90271e1aa11079147c89b06b8637e6c3.jpg

The most useful thing on my workbench, certainly the most constant, is the vice. As old as the hills - I'd love to know what the make is, but I couldn't do without it.

WP_20201119_09_15_24_Pro.jpg.586a2ee2ba2d23403c21a1972e6442d3.jpg

• Like 1

I'd like to pick up on Grif's and Barclay's contributions. I've got a steel calliper and a 6-inch steel rule that are both decades old. Over time, they've got so discoloured  - I read somewhere it's the acid in your sweat that does it - that I now have difficulty reading the markings. I'd have bought replacements long ago if I knew what to buy that wouldn't discolour in the same way, be as robust as what I have and isn't too expensive. I'm also interested in the rival merits of the calliper and the micrometer. Members' observations and recommendations would be most welcome