InterCity Mk3 in the GWR era?

DK123GWR

A few years ago now, I was walking towards the viaduct in Chippenham when I saw an HST crossing it. Of course, there's absolutely nothing remarkable about that. The train was a mixture of the new GWR liveried stock and some older FGW coaches, which is again typical of the period. However, this one stood out due to the unmistakeable presence of a first class coach in Intercity livery. Does anyone have any idea how (other than a strange imagination) this may have happened? Surely all pre-privatisation liveries dissappeared outside of preserved railways long before this point in time. If I was old enough to be out for a walk alone it can't have been before 2014, and the GWR vehicles would place it in 2015 or later. Did I make this up or has somebody else seen this strange sight (or even better, photographed it)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. It's a memory which always bugs me when I think about it (specifically because I worry if I'm going mad) but this is the first time it's hit me at a moment where I can ask people who might know something about it.

The only logic I can think of is that 43185 was the London end power car. The only non standard trailer car in recent years I can remember was one in reverse blue grey, it was vinyled for an event at the NRM with the prototype power car.

The last Up Western Region HST

Jo

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Steadfast said:

The only logic I can think of is that 43185 was the London end power car. The only non standard trailer car in recent years I can remember was one in reverse blue grey, it was vinyled for an event at the NRM with the prototype power car.

The last Up Western Region HST

Jo

42353 is the coach your looking for. It has had something of a charmed life, being both one of the former prototype HST vehicles in the FGW fleet (with 42356) and a Prototype FGW Refurbishment vehicle. It received this version of the prototype livery for RailFest 2012 for which it went up there with record holding 43159 & 57604 in Brunswick Green. It never ran in Passenger service however and was only trip worked like this the once. 

42353 was repainted into reverse BR Blue & Grey for York Railfest 2012 and was returned to its original number E12002.  42353 calls at Newton Abbot 18/06/12

(Photo by Nathan Williamson). 

Edited by surfsup
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1