Hornby pausing taking orders from non UK resident customers

rembrow

Just had an e-mail from Hornby, where they have advised that due to the uncertainty of the negotiations between the UK and EU for trade from1 January 2021, they are pausing taking orders from non UK based customers from today until 4th January 2021, to enable clarity of the trading arrangements to be sorted out.

• Informative/Useful 1

In my wife's firm, they had to advise all their UK suppliers yesterday of all the additional paper work from the 1st of January that customs inspectors need. Equally they have asked all UK suppliers to have the EU reach license under an EU address (the same suppliers also need a UK reach license which for now is identical but of course can be changed at whim by the UK gov).

I can understand their pause. If a deal happens, all this paper work may not be needed. If not, you have probably VAT rules that change, replaced by importation tarifs and all that paper work.

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Neil said:

Hornby aren't the only ones wondering what they'll be dealing with. It's OK to exhort business to prepare but you need to tell them what it is that they're preparing for.

Absolutely,  like being exhorted to "check your passport" without being told what to check it for. Still that was only 100 million or so wasted; three years on and no clear decision on the terms of trade  that will be in force in 4 weeks' time. Causing major grief where I'm currently working and presumably all global companies with a UK arm. And it's not like big companies run import/export on Post It notes and Excel, lots of complicated processes / software tools to change. urghhh.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1