Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Automation - a walking man in 7mm

Giles

10 minutes ago, Giles said:

There isn't really a topic for automation per se, so in Modelling Musings seems as good a place as any.

I've been having a play with the concept of people moving. Not just the arm moving or whatever, but whether anything much more is possible (leaving aside the question of whether it's desirable or or not for another time.....). Not so much because I want a figure striding down the street particularly, but someone might, and also, when you find a way to do things, it very quickly opens the way to doing other things you hadn't even thought of......

I considered a moving track underneath the baseboard in a similar way to the magnetic cyclist, but of course it becomes much more complicated when you have two feet stopping and starting alternately. Also, do you have magnetic connection or a mechanical linkage? I came down of a self-powered under-baseboard tractor, which is geared to the same speed as the 'step' , so one foot will always appear stationary to the ground as the other advances.

That's actually quite spooky! :)

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Many years ago there was an article in the 16mm NGM journal about making a man that pushed a slate wagon along.

It looked quite realistic, but was achieved by the legs being jointed at the knees.

When you see someone walking, there are lots of individual joints working in unison which is incredibly hard to recreate in such a small scale.

What you have achieved so far would certainly work if the subject was hobbling back from his Spitfire.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

He could tweak forward a couple of degrees without problem - he's about vertical at the moment.

The chap pushing the wagon was driven with a mechanism in the wagon, and relied on him 'leaning' whilst pushing - very clever it was

This version could certainly be done in 4mm,  but of course it has the inherent drawback of the Scalectrix slot required.....

• Like 1

Grass is the best medium I've found for disguising the slot he needs to walk in.

This is it, experiment concluded - it is possible to have walking people,  though it's complicated.  It can be done in a straight line or a curve. This is 7mm, but a 4mm version would just mean changing the cam wheel and the drive wheel and putting a smaller figure on......

I shall be interested to see if anyone ever does anything similar.

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1