Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

The "G" word

tigerburnie

• RMweb Premium
On 17/04/2021 at 11:14, Worsdell forever said:

You'll have to believe me but there's half a row of spring onions, half a row of beetroot, 2 rows of carrots and a row of turnips in there, exciting isn't it?

20210417_110218_copy_1600x1200.jpg.4dad9d64d31584036f10d841b159a8b9.jpg

If you have some, I'd put chicken wire over that, otherwise it might be too much of a temptation to birds and cats. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

In between the showers I planted out some peas that I started in cells in the greenhouse, the roots were climbing out of the trays, planted up the greenhouse beds, tomatoes in the borders and chillies and peppers in pots, these are covered with fleece at night as the overnight temps are still too low.

Finally we are getting slightly warmer over night temperatures, my tomatoes and chillies will appreciate that out in the greenhouse, seeds sown outside are showing signs of growing, carrots and spring onions all peeping through in the sunshine today.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 02/05/2021 at 14:12, tigerburnie said:

In between the showers I planted out some peas that I started in cells in the greenhouse, the roots were climbing out of the trays, planted up the greenhouse beds, tomatoes in the borders and chillies and peppers in pots, these are covered with fleece at night as the overnight temps are still too low.

I've not got a fleece and my greenhouse is suffering for it. The plants in there are just about surviving but little more. The weather's just about started warming up at last.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I had wondered if it was my imagination but https://www.theguardian.com/news/2021/jun/03/weatherwatch-british-bluebells-chilly-spring-weather has said later flowering of bluebells is widespread this year. Presumably the same for whitebells, we have both and they are later than I ever remember them. We have a handful of ox eye daisies just starting to bloom and I've never seen the two together before. Same story with forget me nots, some of them are still very much in bloom and normally I'd have dug in several forkfuls of old plants to rot down by now. 

IMG_0990.JPG.dd84cddac1bca307e283701188496087.JPG

A 'woodland' area, with some whitebells lost in all the other flowers. 

IMG_0991.JPG.8e1301d3b9b3691fccaaf56b32da4544.JPG

Again, virtually lost behind the Welsh Poppies and Toadflax. Normally it's snowdrops, crocuses, daffodils, blue/whitebells, aquilegia then we move on to the 'summer' flowers. 

Does anyone know what the pink flowers centre right are called? They are perennials, love the sun and flower for most of the summer. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, The White Rabbit said:

Does anyone know what the pink flowers centre right are called? They are perennials, love the sun and flower for most of the summer. 

No, but I'd like to - we have some similar purple ones that Mrs C absolutely loves, and wants more of, but we have no idea what they're called to try and find some!

14 minutes ago, Nick C said:

No, but I'd like to - we have some similar purple ones that Mrs C absolutely loves, and wants more of, but we have no idea what they're called to try and find some!

Have you tried PlantSnap, or an equivalent app, that identifies plants?

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

Have you tried PlantSnap, or an equivalent app, that identifies plants?

I would have but my phone doesn't support apps. I tried getting one which would before the pestilence hit - long story but I failed, so badly I think I'm on someone's blacklist. Hence the old-fashioned approach. 

32 minutes ago, The White Rabbit said:

I would have but my phone doesn't support apps. I tried getting one which would before the pestilence hit - long story but I failed, so badly I think I'm on someone's blacklist. Hence the old-fashioned approach. 

It might be worth checking to see if your laptop/tablet/computer could

support some form of app, or try websites, maybe the RHS?

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

It might be worth checking to see if your laptop/tablet/computer could

support some form of app, or try websites, maybe the RHS?

True but I tried that already and unfortunately the computer doesn't. 

I have done a bit of a search before asking, including RHS (I find their web-site useful and informative) but haven't found a match yet. 

20 hours ago, gwrrob said:

The pink flowers could be a variety of Phlox.

Could be, I see some similarities with low-growing/ground cover varieties. I have had a scan through some pictures, haven't found a match yet though, so any other suggestions/answers welcome. 

212332085_Pinks1.jpg.3b91b2bbae1723cc323d384694b40e6e.jpg

Another view - as you can see, they add a serious splash of colour to the garden! I inherited them from the previous owner, though cultivated (literally & metaphorically) them a bit better and have been rewarded by them flourishing. Two neighbours had a couple of clumps for their garden last year and another asked on Friday what they are called with a view to buying some from a garden centre.  

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

It might help if you could do a couple of close ups,

both of the leaves, as well as the flowers.

IMG_1000.JPG.4da8d8f524861b271022cfdb5dfde55c.JPG

IMG_1001.JPG.4997899af132ea186068189c21da4220.JPG

As suggested. This is one of the clumps in a not-quite-as-sunny spot, so more leaf than flower at the moment. I snapped them just as the blooms were opening - they are very responsive to light and sun. 

• 3 weeks later...

Broccoli and Brussels have been attacked :(

I should have put some slug go-away stuff (usually wool pellets or similar) round them to begin with but I wasn't thinking... or more I thought the plants were too big.

Will see what I get but may start off some more brussels if I have the seeds.

The rain has battered everything else.

Roses look terrible, sun flowers are still slow growing... although we gave a whole load of seeds to our neighbour.  They have a 7/8 footer so far.  Ours?  Less than three at the moment.  And most of ours are supposed to be some sort of giant.  But I did plant them late and next door did start theirs off on a really sunny windowsill.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

It may be a thug, but over the years this thing has struggled to survive under my care!

I first noticed it on the rough ground beside the small porch which, initially, became the parking space for a couple of motorbikes. I liked the ribbon grass so much I replanted it in several places over the years, it always giving way to something else, and ending up in a 'temporary' spot and not doing very well.

Then, a few years ago, some serious work began in the garden and the grass was replanted yet again. It obviously liked its new home because for the second year running (or is it third?) it has spread so much I have had to dig quite a bit of it up already!  But looking out the window this morning it brought a smile to my face. The thin looking flower heads had suddenly opened out. So out to take a photo but getting one that did them justice was another matter.

This was the best of the bunch.

IMG_3819.jpg.b1d3488165b14ee9d618991b314fc22d.jpg

The magenta rock rose is in its third year and has also taken off giving far more flowers a day than last year.  Sadly, the hibiscus (behind left) appears to be struggling, only flower last year which, like the leaves, was devoured by some very hungry critters. So if there is an expert out there on the latter...maybe you could tell me what I am doing wrong!  Lastly, the iris to the far right came from a flower bed on the site of the West Shore Miniature Railway, Llandudno. There were several of them struggling in the coastal environment so I offered to give them a chance here, only I did not bank on the flower stem growing so tall, so fast!  I managed to stake it though it was really too late by then but what a massive flower it had.

IMG_3480.JPG.f887b4ee4b5136d46bae6dbb2704ebc7.JPG

It has taken a long, long time, but I am gradually getting there!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...