Extinct loco's we wish that had been saved.

12 hours ago, cheesysmith said:

Actually the above post has reminded me, I do hope some sprinters are preserved as the miles they did out of the box to keep the local BR network running as the old DMUs virtually disintegrated was nothing short of increadible.

There is a lot more hope for them than their electric cousins as they are diesel and therefore useable straight away on heritage lines. I wouldn’t expect anything from 150-159 to go extinct. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, slilley said:

Well a bit of Class 74 does survive. The Paxman engine from 74009 is in Class 14 D9526.

If the baby deltic project can start from that then I’m up for the Big Edward project! At least we can measure up from the class 71!!

Edited by ianmacc
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Raven pacific, obviously. And a selection of items from the “lost” period 1835-1880.

And also that the title of this thread be edited so it’s in English.  Suggest “Extinct locos that we wish had been saved.”

;-)

RT

Edited by RichardT
Aberrant line breaks

6 hours ago, ianmacc said:

There is a lot more hope for them than their electric cousins as they are diesel and therefore useable straight away on heritage lines.

Can't help wondering whether VivaRail battery packs could be fitted in the - otherwise redundant - luggage vans of preserved electric units so they could have a future use ....................... maybe just one battery pack on wheels that could be swapped between units - plug & play !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Wickham Green too said:

Can't help wondering whether VivaRail battery packs could be fitted in the - otherwise redundant - luggage vans of preserved electric units so they could have a future use ....................... maybe just one battery pack on wheels that could be swapped between units - plug & play !

Idea of the year! The technology exists now to have functioning electric multiple units on preserved lines.  Class 502/503/504 etc on a heritage line anyone?

3 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Couple not mentioned so far, a J37, N15 or a Pickersgill, I seem to remember that a J37 came close to being preserved, but it was a case of a J36 or a J37 and the SRPS couldn't afford both and opted for the J36 Maude

Jim

And you can understand why, given whatever they chose would be running on a preserved railway, probably a branch line. The J36 is route availability 3, the J37 was RA8, below only things like Pacifics and V2s of ex-LNER engines.

Interesting that the choice of ex-Caley 0-6-0s went the other way, with the bigger/heavier 812 class being preserved. In my opinion, a Jumbo would have been more representative of Caley freight engines.

And I agree that the lack of a Caley 4-4-0 (even a Pickersgill, if not a Dunalastair) is pretty sad.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1