Etch primer - any use on shiny plastics?

Okay, okay, so I know etch primers are meant for metal parts, but a thought has just crossed my mind.

The ex-Poole chassis mouldings by Farish are in a shiny rubbery plastic that is notoriously difficult to get paint to adhere to. Would the acid in the etch primer help it to cling onto the plastic? Normal paint tends to chip and flake away from the plastic, I don't know what gave me this idea, it just popped into my head. Anyone tried it?

cheers

jo

Simple answer, no .....all soft plastics like nylon, PVC, polythene, and all the similar types totally resist solvents available to the home user. The only way is to undercoat with PVA, which being flexible adheres better than nothing. Tough flexible paints may adhere, but most types for models will not stay on if any flexing occurs. Even abrading the surface barely helps.

This is all why makers self colour these plastics, there is no way to paint them.

Stephen.

ewsjo,

I think that I would go with what the rest of the posters have said, but you could try the plastic primers from Halfords & J.L.T.R.T. I dont know how well that they may work, but they are sold as plastic primers. May be not for the slippy plastics but for the normal ones.

OzzyO.

I have used car primer on models (plastic and metal) for a long time. I've never had any problem with reaction on plastic. As a policy I prime my models before final painting - it gives a nice even undercoat and helps the final coat to adhere. I find paint (enamel or acrylic) doesn't stick all that well to bare plastic. One tip - if the model is black or green, use grey primer. If the model is red or brown, use red oxide primer.

I never used PVA - didn't realise you could. It all boils down to what works for you.

Another 2 cents.

John

Archived