The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Zomboid said:

I think the counter argument is that F1 is about pushing technology to the limit at least as much as it's about the driver.

It always has been of course but as that technology has advanced it's more and more about pushing the limits set by the regulations rather than physics and engineering - it's advanced to the point where the technology's really outstripped the ability to race safely (and within human tolerances at all) so those limits imposed by regulation rather than engineering are necessary.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Zomboid said:

And it gives fans something else to latch onto - personally I like to see McLaren and Williams do well regardless of who's driving for them. Conversely it doesn't matter who's driving for Ferrari, I want them to be overtaken.

I think you can latch on to constructors in BTCC as well - in the classic days (Andy Rouse era), I supported the Sierras as they were what my father drove (albeit estates, not Cosworths!). When MG were in BTCC, I wanted them to win as the only British manufacturer etc...

• Like 2

On 27/06/2021 at 18:40, Gareth Collier said:

I sincerely hope next years cars will even things up and make overtaking a genuine skill rather than a strategic move.

Sadly I fear not - making the cars even wider, will make overtaking even harder as drivers need to move further away from the racing line in order to overtake.

• Agree 4

24 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Sadly I fear not - making the cars even wider, will make overtaking even harder as drivers need to move further away from the racing line in order to overtake.

And don't even mention the Street Circuits.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Agree 4

Not even half season yet, but here are a couple of my silly predictions.

Bottas will decided he has had enough and retire.

Danny Ric will do the same having tried Renault and McLaren in a bid to re claim his past Red Bull glory days.

Seb will also retire, having been well and truly trounced by young Stroll.

Alonso will retire again.

Maepin's Dad will buy Haas, ensuring the Road Block remain in place.

Perez will stay at Red Bull for a second year.

Any thoughts?

• Like 3

I have no objection to the street circuits - if they design cars which are capable of overtaking on them.

Design cars that can overtake at Monaco (and FE has shown that it is possible), and you solve the overtaking problems on all the other circuits as well!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Danny Ric will do the same having tried Renault and McLaren in a bid to re claim his past Red Bull glory days.

Any thoughts?

Hard to argue with any of those, although Danny Ric still has time to come good this year. 

Will a disillusioned Lewis, frustrated that £-capped Merc are throwing everything at 2022 while he gets a year older, reconsider his future?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

I think Lewis will give MB the benefit of the doubt, however this season turns out. Red Bull don't need him and no other team would offer a better chance of another championship and (for now) there's plenty of races left to turn things around.

Perhaps counterintuitively, I think he's more likely to retire if he finishes on top than not. Either way, if he is still competing next year, win or lose, I reckon it will be his last season in F1.

John

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Any thoughts?

Seb, Fred, Sergio and Mazepin I could agree with.

Danny R is too good a driver to give it up yet, if he's still being thrashed by Lando in a year then maybe, but I think he'll get there. He was probably outperforming the Renault last year.

I think if Bottas leaves F1 this year it won't be his choice to do so.

Edited by Zomboid
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Will a disillusioned Lewis, frustrated that £-capped Merc are throwing everything at 2022 while he gets a year older, reconsider his future?

If he has a disappointment this year because they're throwing everything at 2022, I think he'll want to have a go in the 2022 car before calling it. If it turns out that they're off the pace with that car (which is certainly possible) then I don't think he'll see much point too hanging around in it.

He may have other F1 ambitions come 2023 - lots of drivers want to drive for Ferrari, for example, and if he has an opportunity to do that it might be something he'd want to do.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Zomboid said:

If he has a disappointment this year because they're throwing everything at 2022, I think he'll want to have a go in the 2022 car before calling it. If it turns out that they're off the pace with that car (which is certainly possible) then I don't think he'll see much point too hanging around in it.

He may have other F1 ambitions come 2023 - lots of drivers want to drive for Ferrari, for example, and if he has an opportunity to do that it might be something he'd want to do.

Or, Aston Martin, given Toto's and Mercs involvement there.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Any thoughts?

Bottas - Won't be his decision but his choice will be retire or go to Williams

Danny Ric - Disagree, I think he will stick around and try to have more influence in next years car to ensure it matches his style

Seb - Up until Baku I would have agreed, based on more recent results I think he will stay next year, maybe not many beyond. 

Alonso - Not at the end of this year, maybe at the end of next if he doesn't have a winning car.

Mazepin - Totally agree

Perez - Totally agree.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Reminds me of the Scalextric Speedmaster robots

AFC08CC6-FB25-4F8E-8E85-B374B5FA8C41.jpeg.dd333222e8901f145393a2ba39c28279.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Phew, Alfonso! Such perception is only available to an insider, clearly. With Merc legitimately beaten on several types of track I think lots of money would be on Max right now. Another non-story. The journos must be desperate with the Euros taking all the headlines. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 8

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Phew, Alfonso! Such perception is only available to an insider, clearly. With Merc legitimately beaten on several types of track I think lots of money would be on Max right now. Another non-story. The journos must be desperate with the Euros taking all the headlines. 

Or, is Alonso paying them for Publicity:laugh:

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

We shall see but an early indication that this weekends tyre "mix" ( Main factor, although I don't know what the track temperature is) has restored the MB "status quo"?

How amusing F1 has become.

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Like 3

With all the media of Bottas being "poor & needing to be replaced", I thought I would check out his history on Wikipedia.

Before F1, he had a decent career.

Once into F1, he drove for Williams (which I already knew) but in each season, he scored more points than his team-mate; Pastor Maldonado in his first season (who I never rated very highly), then Felipe Massa for the following 3. Most must remember how close Massa came to being world champion in 2008..so he is no pushover.

So what has Bottas done this season?

He crashed in Imola (was it his fault that he collided with Russell? That's very debatable).

His 2nd place in Monaco was lost by a failed wheel nut.

He had a bad race in Azerbajan.

The others have been 4 3rds & 1 4th, all behind Verstappen & Hamilton with the 4th also being behind Perez.

Is that really so bad? For a No2 driver (which he clearly is), I think he is doing ok.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

7 hours ago, 30368 said:

We shall see but an early indication that this weekends tyre "mix" ( Main factor, although I don't know what the track temperature is) has restored the MB "status quo"?

How amusing F1 has become.

Kind regards,

Richard B

That's good. Drivers & cars react differently to different conditions, so hopefully the Austrian GP will not be a re-run of the Styrian, even though it is on the same circuit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1