The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

" success ballast ".

Is F1 the only sport that seems to try and make itself more interesting every year by changing rules etc ..

Does rugby change the post size/ spacing etc ??!

They seem to have no confidence in it staying  interesting long term 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

49 minutes ago, EddieB said:

...make them environmentally-friendly with electric power collected a contact pole from an overhead grid?

No, no, what you need is two metal strips on the track , with like, collector shoes made out of conducting material - maybe they could use 750V DC ? 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

" success ballast ".

Is F1 the only sport that seems to try and make itself more interesting every year by changing rules etc ..

Does rugby change the post size/ spacing etc ??!

They seem to have no confidence in it staying  interesting long term 

Nope, Rugby increased the size of the players…

• Funny 4

13 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

and has tinkered continually with the rules over the years, ostensibly to make it more entertaining. The number of points for a try has increased over the years, from 0 to 5 - and in fact the Welsh tried making 6 - but it didn't make the game faster or more exciting apparently. The rules around scrums and line outs and at the breakdown have all changed, as well as the rules around kicking directly to touch. I suspect it has just made it more confusing for those (like me) that are not avid rugby fans. It's not the game I had to play at school and it's not the game I occasionally went and watched.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Gareth Collier said:

In Q2 how did no one hit each other or run down a mechanic during the farcical 'tactical' releases from the pit boxes? Come to that how did no one have a collision in Q1? Total mess and so dangerous.

Looks like Alpine and Aston Martin have both been ‘fined’ for this incident. 

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/article.alpine-and-aston-martin-fined-eur5-000-each-after-pit-lane-melee-in-monza.1UfsKuE8txE697kNuX3XD3.html

I think that barely qualifies as a ‘slap on the wrist’.

As you so rightly say @Gareth Collier ‘total mess and so dangerous’

• Agree 3

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Bottas to start Italian Grand Prix last after “strategic” engine change.

https://www.racefans.net/2021/09/10/bottas-to-start-italian-grand-prix-last-after-strategic-engine-change/

A Mercedes spokesperson confirmed the engine change was done for “strategic” reasons and not due to a problem with Bottas’ power unit.

The Strategy being to give Bottas no incentive to beat Hamilton in the sprint race.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I realise I’ve been out for a bit.

what the fudge is sprint qualifying ?!

Qualifying for the Sprint race, which happened half an hour ago. The result of the Sprint sets the grid for the Grand Prix. Except that Bottas, who won the Sprint, has a new engine so he starts the GP from last place. Is that any clearer?

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

And Gasley qualified 6th but will start next to last after crashing. Again a pointless race with little action but I'm sure it's generated more cash for the bean counters.

I'm not a fan and the 2 sprint races so far have done nothing to convince me otherwise.

I can't help thinking it would have been more exciting to hold the sprint race on the old banked circuit!

One of the C4 commentators mentioned that Monza is 99 years old this year - wouldn't it be nice if the full circuit could be used to mark the centenary? ;-)

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

Qualifying for the Sprint race, which happened half an hour ago. The result of the Sprint sets the grid for the Grand Prix. Except that Bottas, who won the Sprint, has a new engine so he starts the GP from last place. Is that any clearer?

Clear as mud, but thanks for trying !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

Clear as mud, but thanks for trying !

Personally I found this video explains it pretty well:

The only complication this time is Bottas having a penalty for the race tomorrow. That's being applied exactly the same if it was a normal weekend.

• Like 1