Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Formula 1 2021

Oldddudders

2 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Lewis Hamilton faces five-place penalty in Brazil after engine change

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/32613689/lewis-hamilton-faces-five-place-penalty-brazil-engine-change

Oh well. Within 3 laps he'll be back with Verstappen. Such is the daftness of these engine penalties.

Jo

• Agree 3

7 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

There's some wonderful old footage of racing at Crystal Palace to be found on YouTube, e.g. this race, commented on by the inimitable and much-missed Murray Walker:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cawBXWWgqCI (click on the link - the video won't embed).

I forwarded that link to my father. His reply:

"Good race, and the best commentary I've heard in a long time."

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

What a mess.

Lewis Hamilton faces potential disqualification in Brazil, Max Verstappen summoned by stewards

https://www.espn.co.uk/f1/story/_/id/32615561/lewis-hamilton-faces-potential-disqualification-brazil-max-verstappen-summoned-stewards

Surely Verstappen could be disqualified too? Or, how about this - Hamilton starts from the pit lane today and Verstappen is indeed disqualified. That would make things VERY tasty indeed...

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Just now, MarkC said:

Surely Verstappen could be disqualified too? Or, how about this - Hamilton starts from the pit lane today and Verstappen is indeed disqualified. That would make things VERY tasty indeed...

I like.:dancer:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Though just to clarify what is meant by "disqualification" in the article Andrew linked to - in this instance "disqualification" only means a drop to the back of the grid, it does not mean disqualification from the race weekend - the headline makes things seem more dramatic than they are.

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

I can't help thinking that deliberately touching an opponent's car (with or without parc ferme) should be an instant DQ....

They said it was "unsportsmanlike" behaviour, though I didn't think that they'd talked of disqualification for Max, just the Mercedes car, though they did want a word with him about what he did. There are official channels that teams and drivers can go through if they have an issue with another driver's car, doing what he did isn't one of them!

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

We'll find out soon.

Whilst I'm rooting for Max this time, I'd rather Lewis wasn't sent to the back. That would leave Lewis needing snookers, and it would be better if things were closer for the end of the season.

Though if MB have indeed sent him out in a non-compliant car then it's hard to argue against him being sent to the back.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

NEW

Posted at 17:0717:07

Breaking news

Andrew Benson

BBC Sport’s chief F1 writer

Lewis Hamilton disqualified from qualifying at the Sao Paulo Grand Prix over a rear-wing infringement.

HE DOESN'T MAKE THE FRI**IN THINGS.:angry:

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

HE DOESN'T MAKE THE FRI**IN THINGS.:angry:

No, but his qualifying time was achieved in a car which contravenes the regulations, so his times achieved in an illegal car cannot be valid.

MB can't seem to get out of their own way lately.

• Agree 6

5 minutes ago, Darius43 said:

this year’s championship decided by FIA rules rather than cars racing on the track.

It's not the FIA or the Stewards fault that MB sent an illegal car out in qualifying.

I'm sure this isn't the outcome that they wanted for exactly that reason, but it's black and white whether the car is legal or not.

• Agree 4