Hunslet Engine Works in 7mm Scale

Andy Ross

• RMweb Gold

This is definitely getting real now. Peter has ordered the wood so within a week or so they will be done. 

I need to stock take the structure bits as I might have a couple of lengths of crane beam to assemble. 

As soon as I have some photos, I will put them on here. 

Andy 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

My good friend Peter Kirmond has started the construction of the baseboards and has vert kindly been sending me updates. 

During the week he has been prepping all the parts for the outer frames and cross beams. He started main construction yesterday with the photos below showing the progress to date.

.image2.jpeg.8c56f0dd09b5b0a665ff9a122e0242c9.jpeg

Plan mounted to the plywood using spray mount.

image3.jpeg.466a6c74fcd272f716d7704310fdfd44.jpeg    image5.jpeg.5951824bf0d9538cfe6d9e45434d14a5.jpeg

Special tool to counterbore the holes for the thin head bolts to be used to mount door mechanism. The blocks of wood on the drill base act as a stop so all the counterbores are the same depth.

image6.jpeg.f7c09f176d2aba2e099bb5d1af11de53.jpeg

The assembly starts taking shape. 

image0.jpeg.267c697a53fff8efd904088eac9466d9.jpeg

Continuing today with bracing starting to go in. The diagonals will be next. 

At the same time the smaller board for the muligauge test track is also coming together. 

image1.jpeg.8741bab8b0b11cb278c2e5b257eff900.jpeg

This is amazing progress by Peter. 

At this end I have been drawing up a track gauge for the multi-gauge test track. The first section I used a bought gauge for the standard gauge and then used a vernier to gauge the other rails. But this was only about nine inches and with nearly two metres to do I thought I would try and print some gauges.

image.png.19b39830bd98b8a8fdec051114023a0d.png

Not sure how they will react with the heat but there is only one way to find out. No mater how long they last they will not be needed again so hopefully they will survive long enough. I have  managed to get 10 on to the build plates of the printer so I will have plenty of spares if they start breaking up. 

Edited by Andy Ross
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Andy Ross said:

At this end I have been drawing up a track gauge for the multi-gauge test track. The first section I used a bought gauge for the standard gauge and then used a vernier to gauge the other rails. But this was only about nine inches and with nearly two metres to do I thought I would try and print some gauges.

I know a man near Barnsley who might turn you up some gauges if you ask him very very nicely...

• RMweb Gold

I collected the baseboards on Friday from Peter Kirmond and I have already made a start. 

All the holes were drilled for the  structure yesterday and the test track, track plan was spray mounted onto the narrow board.

Today has seen track laying. The the first section of the multi gauge test track and the only point was built years ago. it's been on a bit of foam board and did not want to come off without a fight.

IMG_0639.jpeg.617175d1c921442c2fc9caf651b8be88.jpeg 

It's now glued down to the board and sleepers glued in place for the rest of the track. 

I have currently got a concession to work in the kitchen on the breakfast bar due to the cold in the garage. But I need to stop 6 inches short of the joint and then put both boards up to get across the base board joint - this will have to be in the garage. 

It is hoped that by the end of the Christmas holidays all the track will be down right into the shed area so I can then start looking at putting the structure up. 

One of the next jobs that need doing is to take the door mechanism off the temporary board and mount it on the main board as the track goes over some of the fasteners. These are going to be locked in place to become permanent studs as you will not be able to remove them. 

Andy

Edited by Andy Ross
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Tonight there has been more activity track laying. IMG_0642.jpeg.eb53c3cab200297d110eeb6dc9a2b175.jpeg

Started on the standard gauge on both lines. Used bought gauges for this but the printed ones fitted so they should be ok for the multi gauge. 

If I get chance tomorrow night I will add some more rails. 

Andy

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

So with the day off today I got on with the small board multi gauge track. I had put a couple off the extra rails in during the week but the first thin strips for the concrete went in today. 

The 3D printed gauges work really well and hold the strip vertical - I wish I had a version of this when I was building the miles of tram track for the old layouts. 

IMG_3727.jpeg.c769fd86fae38df30af8db2c6c6daabd.jpeg

IMG_0660.jpeg.23e234bc3ae67f7466f544feaf8385cf.jpeg

By the end of the day I had managed to finish as far as I can go with the multi gauge track and the siding. The next section will go over the baseboard joint. 

IMG_0661.jpeg.e3c8e97a73e3f838e29502b0e0b61b9e.jpeg

Tomorrow the board will be relocated to the garage and the concession to use the kitchen counter will be withdrawn. (for now).

The next job is to swap the door mechanism from the test board on to the main one so I can then continue laying the track.

Andy

Edited by Andy Ross
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Before I can start laying sleepers for the track on the main board I needed to transfer the door mechanism from the trial board to the main one. 

IMG_0075.jpeg.6025f0c6a8fcc5d42e2c0f446ab432d8.jpeg

This is because some of the bolts are under the track.  

I had asked Peter to leave some clearance in the cross braces which worked out fine. What I didn't take into account was the mechanism beams have the doors soldered on and it was a bit tricky getting them into place. 

I still need to fit the motors but I am modifying the brackets to give some vertical adjustment.

now this is all in place, tomorrow I will remove the door assemblies - leaving all the slides in place so. I can get on with the track.

Andy  

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Spent this afternoon in the garage with both boards up and laying all the sleepers right up to the pit. 

Just need to check exact length of pit. I asked Peter to cut this out a bit longer than it should be so I could do a final tweak at this stage. IMG_0667.jpeg.e51158d6dc104f63b63c493c66e56e2c.jpeg

Edited by Andy Ross
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Boxing Day afternoon was spent continuing the multi gauge test track over the base board joint. All seven rails were soldered in place with just a short length left to do to get to the pit.  The strip used to edge the concrete is still to go in. The problem is that I don't have enough of the the 3mm x 0.25 mm strip to finish at the moment. The other problem is that I can not remember were I got the 150mm long lengths that I have been using. So I will get up to, and over the joint and then work the other way out of the shop from the pit. 

IMG_0671.jpeg.fc37b30dca8f70ac918dd24ed9a22ffe.jpeg

I have decided to have a break from the cold. Just before Christmas I got the latest etching back from PPD. These are for the Wheel Shop Steel work. 

IMG_0673.jpeg.eba69bbc5665c72b24c5197489088e24.jpeg

I have made the outside wall column up. This took quite a while as I worked out the best order to solder this up. 

The good news is that it looks like the photo I have. 

IMG_0674.jpeg.84bd6dd8bfd3b1595c322fd82deda544.jpeg  1144270530_Wheelshopcopy.jpeg.dd1ce9954683393802925fffb741d160.jpeg

I have balanced the crane beam on the upright for reference. 

IMG_0676.jpeg.f74db99aca03378b832ec0e02ebe21a2.jpeg

It is suppose to be a bit warmer tomorrow so I should be able to get on with the track in the garage.

Andy

Edited by Andy Ross
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

With is being a bit warmer I spent the afternoon in the garage and got all the rail in place, Including the check rail on the front siding. This included the rails around the pit. 

IMG_0681.jpeg.98a1a3871499322b46f994e16e02fef9.jpeg

I still have the strips for the concrete to put in and I will hopefully get down what I have tomorrow. The good news is I have located a supplier. So just need to work out how much I need. 

IMG_0683.jpeg.5b0afc546aab2d8764d97923b9b2c994.jpeg

MoD loco positioned over pit. 

252613573_TWMetro4083G.jpg.ce18128db1c38e53f1ae379fa894eacd.jpg 

Phots copy-write - Hunslet Engine Company 

Same loco in same place. 

Edited by Andy Ross
  • Like 9

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Progress update. 

After running out of the strip for the check rail in the test track I managed to locate and order some more last week. 

I did do a small amount of ballasting last weekend but this was more of a test.   

Saturday I completed the track with all the check strip and today I managed to complete the ballasting. 

The test track has been a challenge with 7 rails and 5 check strips I am glad it is complete. 

IMG_0703.jpeg.c32972825864ff20b6a316ee1068c33b.jpeg

IMG_0702.jpeg.1057afb3003153bf46df49abf16c2391.jpeg

IMG_0701.jpeg.baf409375093ffceecdc670bb0e709a3.jpeg

You may be asking why am I ballasting it, as all the track will either be in concrete or covered in cobbles. The ballast sets rock hard and will keep the track in place until the in fill is added. 

This is specially important for the test track as it needs two isolation gaps along the length as can be seen in the sketch below and this will weaken the sleepers if I am not careful. 

The green section will need to be switched for the different narrow gauges selected. 

image.png.edd44a81a0a998e4af211ba3e0a669cc.png

When all the ballast has dried over the next few days I will do the gapping and all being well we might have a loco move next weekend. 

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Today has been a first and a bit of a milestone.

I finished the gapping of the test track as shown in the diagram in the previous post. 

There were a couple of section of the infill strip had to be re-soldered when I had done but otherwise it went better than expected. 

Once this was all done it needed testing. I fitted some temporary links across the base board. The frog on the point still needs a switch fitting and a working lever. 

The testing went well as can be seen in the three videos showing three different locos on three different gauges and yes all Hunslets.

Standard gauge 05, Heljan.

2'6" Gauge 150HP Rack Adhesion Mines Locomotive, Scratch built by Mike Edge. 

2' Gauge 28HP from KBscale kit built by me. I think there are three more in the cupboard to build.

The photo below shows all three on the track.546608959_Testtrack1.jpeg.c79f29f94f1b3067d6e56fc5aa721134.jpeg

Next job is to start transferring the sections of structure from the temporary test boards to this one. 

Edited by Andy Ross
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 8

• RMweb Gold

With the track finished yesterday, today I removed the mockup sections from their original temp baseboards and transferred the assemblies to the main baseboard. 

The door assembly went on with no alternations. The section used to demonstrate the cranes was not originally going to be used as part of the layout as I thought I would need this to service the cranes. As it happens this is not the case as I have a small stand that I built the cranes on that is more the adequate for maintenance and repairs. 

To use this section on the layout I have had to attack it with the grinder to get the crane tracks beams to line up. I have also had to remove one of the uprights to add the roof support.

s.IMG_0730.jpeg.d2d004a5e86114dae1fa603a0e1d76a8.jpeg

I also did a check to see if I have enough column and crane tracks built. Due to using the mock up there is more than what I need. 

I laid everything out loose and took the photo below - it give a real idea of size of when it   will all be done. The columns are now on the bench waiting for the roof supports to be added during the week.  IMG_0729.jpeg.0f95a25b6656845264f3ff7e3b3ce2fe.jpeg

I have to say I am really pleased with progress since I collected the baseboards. 

Andy 

Edited by Andy Ross
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

With the weather getting even colder I applied for another concession to bring the baseboard back into the house. On Saturday morning I was set back up in the kitchen, this time with the main board. 

First job was to secure the two pre built mock ups in place. The short crane test rig had two of the support legs removed, one as it needed the roof support adding and the other as there was already one in place on the door section and the two sections overlapped in place.

During the week I had cut and solders all the roof support H sections onto the columns. Yesterday these were all added to the baseboard along with the crane sections.

IMG_0744.jpeg.8e72fc4a88b6828e76f8578f2740768e.jpeg

The next job was to fit the copper clad for the crane rail into the slot in the top of the beams. Unfortunately when I went to the shelf for the packs of what I thought were 3mm copper clad, it turned out I only had 4mm. So an order to be placed today. 

So instead I decided to look at assembling some of the pitched roof for the boiler shop. Of the nine trusses I need, I made five before I ran out of angle, so there is enough to see how this will go together. Originally this was going to be fixed and all soldered to the uprights but I have now decided that this section needs to be removable to gain access for maintenance etc. The north lights section will remain fixed. 

Most of today has been spent looking how to make it removable and at the same time hold it in position and locked in place. I think I am there with three trusses in place. The other two will be added during the week. 

IMG_0745.jpeg.f6f41a65ed7769188dbe2ee5744eb4e4.jpeg

IMG_0747.jpeg.a4fa5bac0147a530578a8d019e5f9da6.jpeg

IMG_0746.jpeg.9c8152f203fb1a86e9114060797eefed.jpeg

I also added some longitudinal rails along the sections near the roof line which is stiffening the hole structure up. 

Andy 

• Like 9
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Having been away on holiday I am now building up to taking the the new Main Baseboard on an outing.

The new version of the display will be at the  Warley Model Railway Club open day on Sunday 19th Feb. 

Before I went away I managed to get the crane track rails installed and one of the cranes to run the full length. Today the second crane was tried and worked ok. I have just run the main structures up and down as I don't want to disturb the crabs from the travel frames until I get to Warley as it is too easy to disturb the ropes.

It is not easy to video but I will give it a go tomorrow.

I have also got an Item going on the printer tomorrow - can anyone guess what it is - there is a clue on the side .

306523247_Screenshot2023-02-11at23_09_14.png.422fbb48c2d91eb8842e06d74f75064b.png

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Andy Ross said:

Having been away on holiday I am now building up to taking the the new Main Baseboard on an outing.

The new version of the display will be at the  Warley Model Railway Club open day on Sunday 19th Feb. 

Before I went away I managed to get the crane track rails installed and one of the cranes to run the full length. Today the second crane was tried and worked ok. I have just run the main structures up and down as I don't want to disturb the crabs from the travel frames until I get to Warley as it is too easy to disturb the ropes.

It is not easy to video but I will give it a go tomorrow.

I have also got an Item going on the printer tomorrow - can anyone guess what it is - there is a clue on the side .

306523247_Screenshot2023-02-11at23_09_14.png.422fbb48c2d91eb8842e06d74f75064b.png

Andy

Just a wild guess - is it an MOD 0-4-0 by any chance?

• Funny 1