Hunslet Engine Works in 7mm Scale

Andy Ross

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Andy Ross said:

Yes it is for use with the MoD loco but what does it do?

I don't know if it will work but if it does, I will need a different version for different loco types.

Andy

Another wild guess (a proper one this time) - a fixture to hold the wheelsets/transmission components for assembly?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

You got it. 

On the mock up board I had fitted pins into the rails and holes drilled in the tyres. This would mean I would need removable sections of rail for the different locos. 

The idea is that this will drop into the pit and it will hold the wheel sets in position for wheeling. All that will be visible will be chocks for the wheels and four post that will go under the axle boxes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Andy Ross said:

You got it. 

On the mock up board I had fitted pins into the rails and holes drilled in the tyres. This would mean I would need removable sections of rail for the different locos. 

The idea is that this will drop into the pit and it will hold the wheel sets in position for wheeling. All that will be visible will be chocks for the wheels and four post that will go under the axle boxes. 

Phew, that means I can still call myself a railway engineer...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

After two goes I managed to print the new fixture. As the drawings above I worked to the wrong rails for the body so it did not fit in the pit. 

But with a re draw and new print it now works as planned.

IMG_0791.jpeg.bada85b946e6096f1b1fc307cfe0ddc6.jpeg   

The four posts go under the axle box and keeps them square. This works better than I expected. 

The photo below shows how the axles assemblies sit on the fixture.

IMG_0792.jpeg.8bb356a38b0b39dbcd67c33b72f0c153.jpeg

With this dropped into the pit the wheels sit on the rails as well. 

IMG_0793.jpeg.abeab943e64d45dbcdb5a4851d809b52.jpeg

When painted black and with the layout planned to be quite high, this should not be too visible.

I have lowered the loco on by hand and it appears to work fine. 

The boards will be at the Warley open day on Sunday (19th) and I will try it with the cranes there. 

I have also done all I can with the building structure before the weekend and the video shows both crane structures running full length. 

As well as the Warley Club open day, the display with the new board will be at the following events. 

Narrow Gauge North 11th March - Pudsey Civic Hall, see - narrowgaugenorth.org.uk 

York Model Railway Show - Easter Sat, Sun, Mon see - yorkshow.org.uk/layouts-2023/

Andy 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, Andy Ross said:

After two goes I managed to print the new fixture. As the drawings above I worked to the wrong rails for the body so it did not fit in the pit. 

But with a re draw and new print it now works as planned.

IMG_0791.jpeg.bada85b946e6096f1b1fc307cfe0ddc6.jpeg   

The four posts go under the axle box and keeps them square. This works better than I expected. 

The photo below shows how the axles assemblies sit on the fixture.

IMG_0792.jpeg.8bb356a38b0b39dbcd67c33b72f0c153.jpeg

With this dropped into the pit the wheels sit on the rails as well. 

IMG_0793.jpeg.abeab943e64d45dbcdb5a4851d809b52.jpeg

When painted black and with the layout planned to be quite high, this should not be too visible.

I have lowered the loco on by hand and it appears to work fine. 

The boards will be at the Warley open day on Sunday (19th) and I will try it with the cranes there. 

I have also done all I can with the building structure before the weekend and the video shows both crane structures running full length. 

As well as the Warley Club open day, the display with the new board will be at the following events. 

Narrow Gauge North 11th March - Pudsey Civic Hall, see - narrowgaugenorth.org.uk 

York Model Railway Show - Easter Sat, Sun, Mon see - yorkshow.org.uk/layouts-2023/

Andy 

Looking brilliant!!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

The first outing for the main structure board was at the Warley Model Railway Club open day last Sunday. 

This was an excellent day with lots of interest from the club members and visitors. 

It. was also the first chance I had to test the new fixture for the wheeling operation which I have to say was successful - I think I can make it a little bit better by adding a bit more clearance in a couple of areas.

It was a busy day but I did manage to get a short video done just before we started packing up. Sorry about the flickering but I assume this is down to the phone not being happy with the florescent lighting. The phone also moved. 

I have also included some general photos of how the new display looks. 

.IMG_0813.jpeg.5dac169fe8f1a5bf335a96ba42242b2e.jpeg

IMG_0814.jpeg.748758f79110ba1744c6283aa9ea34ef.jpeg

IMG_0818.jpeg.0e18d06c57f898dd01c7d55eba64bfb8.jpeg

IMG_0817.jpeg.957a55dcc9fddcc877857964ecc3836b.jpeg

If you want to see the cranes etc the same display will be at Narrow Gauge North on the 11th March and York over Easter.

Andy  

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

With the erecting of the main building section and taking it out for the first time it is obvious that we need a lot more stuff to fill the space, especially at  the boiler shop end.  A while back I started drawing the frame for the big Scunthorpe Bo- Bo's. 

As can bee seen in the photo below this will be a good space filler. 

1892972793_BoilershopBoBoframe.jpg.d384027c4bac06ffeb25739bdeb95b92.jpg

Photos copyright Hunslet Engine Company.

In time I will make the rotary manipulator that can be seen further down the shop. 

Since I got back from the Warley open day I have been finishing the drawings and produced the etching layout below to send off to PPD. As well as the frames it will also produce the fuel tanks. it will take two etches to make one frame and one tank.

As well as the etching some of the more complex sections will now be 3D printed. 

image.png.db115531ccb945221e069b4f9563af9e.png

It is hoped that I get this back in time so I have this built up before the York Show. 

In the meantime don't forget that we will be at Narrow Gauge North on the 11th March. 

Andy 

• Like 8
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Last weekend was Narrow Gauge North and we had a successful exhibition with the latest progress going down well. 

IMG_0911.jpeg.d9ad99b29fc3ab9ea4ece4a50dfa44f4.jpeg

Jill was painting figures and some 3d printed detail parts. 

The tricky bit was loading the car, as the street was covered in frozen snow. We like this show as it is the closest show we do being only two miles from home. 

With it being so much warmer this weekend it was back into the garage to start fitting the doors to the guide bars and lead screws already fitted. 

IMG_0944.jpeg.2377660e2ca65b5279a2c79bb769cabc.jpeg        IMG_0947.jpeg.e76301f0c55427c58f3ef87dd35ced7a.jpeg

It's fair to say I had not made enough allowance to get the doors in when I did the board drawings for Pete so there has been a lot of carving out on the cross members. But they go in now. I also needed to make some packers for the blocks as The baseboard top is thiner than the one on the mock up.  

I also transferred the motors and brackets and these also need remaking as they are slightly out vertically which is making them noisy. 

By the end of Sunday all the doors are back on and one end is working fine but the other end is still jamming in a couple of areas - I will sort this next weekend. 

IMG_0950.jpeg.1912031b34490ae0811361239723c68f.jpeg

Please note we will be at York for the Easter show stand S48 on the first floor mezzanine. If you come along please say hello. 

Andy 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Busy day today on the Hunslet project

I have been in the garage and I think I have managed to free the second door off now.  

I have also tried to print some new motor mount but they need tweaking and re printing. Hopefully tomorrow this will sort the doors out

The main effort today has been on the Scunthorpe Bo Bo frames. 

IMG_0972.jpeg.e4720211857b4a199381f3aa9a96d444.jpeg

I am really pleased with the etching - I have had to remove a couple of lugs off two of the cross members and a couple of slots around the drag box needed extending but that is all. 

IMG_0973.jpeg.fb420be795be668f30bcb186103f0883.jpeg    IMG_0974.jpeg.184883f89b15bee0686d44cda08ef592.jpeg

What I am really pleased with is that it is all holding itself together.  Non of this has been near a soldering iron yet. 

IMG_0976.jpeg.68fa5d6b582b2f0d98e069751321b299.jpeg

I have also printed some of the detailed parts such as the bolster centre. 

Once it is all soldered up I will post some more photos. 

Andy 

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

With less than a week to go to York Show I have been back in the garage today to sort the workshop doors. 

During the the week I had printed new motor brackets as the etched one I had made were slightly out with the vertical position - I had designed some adjustable ones but there was not enough time to get then etched.

IMG_0991.jpeg.af8687c21aac5a6e66cf1f57eed1df96.jpeg

Original etched bracket.

IMG_0992.jpeg.431a8446d76ded16bb228d3b1574a690.jpeg

Printed version. 

After a lot of messing and tweaking I have managed to get them working well enough for next weekends show. 

I have also got on with the Bo Bo under frame and hopefully this will be finished tomorrow - pics to follow. 

Andy 

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi 

Most of the structure was soldered up with a 80w Antex Iron. I also have a 100w but there were only a few sections that I needed this for. The solder is standard electrical solder that I have had for years.

The door panels proved to be a problem but that was due to the expansion in the nickel silver in the different layers, especially on the outer ones which had large areas half etched. I abandoned soldering these and the layers are all held together with double sided adhesive sheets. 

Hope this helps.

Andy

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Today I have finished soldering up and adding some printed parts to the Scunthorpe Bo Bo frame. 

IMG_0997.jpeg.6b6e0bd5487c176b7413469fd8005ead.jpeg

IMG_0998.jpeg.d738d6104af8a63421f3c072e9c06ed5.jpeg

Every piece of plate that is in the real frame is included. That's the problem when you are modelling locomotive in build, there is very little you can leave out. To get the plate thickness close to reality all the main parts are made up of two layers of 0.4 nickel silver - the buffer beams are made from six layers. 

IMG_0999.jpeg.f247e95a3f8ea682ad7234192c497169.jpeg   IMG_1001.jpeg.3d71008f5a09ba2a657da4272d0fa428.jpeg

The drag box is fully detailed. The bogie centre is 3d printed and glued in place. 

This will be a good addition to the boiler shop area of the workshop. 

The next thing to try and get done before setting of for York next Friday is the fuel tank assemble which was on the same etch. 

Andy 

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

I have just finished the fuel tank for the Scunthorpe Bo - Bo.

IMG_1018.jpeg.cf5ec9fee8b3b50df63ff2c5743ee40f.jpeg

I have to say, some of the design was not as good on this as it was on the frame assembly. 

Despite having the original drawings I still managed to get the main baffle plate to big. I almost abandoned this but Jill reminded me I was a fitter by trade (a long time ago) so surely I should be able make them fit.  

So I set too with some files and eventually got it to go together. 

There were also some slots missing that meant some tabs had to be removed. 

Regardless of all the problems I think it looks ok .

IMG_1020.jpeg.9c221b1fb413e64956fc0b598ee35fe5.jpeg

I dropped it onto the frame and it really looks the part.

IMG_1022.jpeg.62ef71354bb5f64fd737da1793378eb9.jpeg

This was the last target I set myself before we go to York Show at the weekend. 

If you are going to York please come and say hello on stand S48 on the first floor mezzanine. 

Andy 

• Like 5

If this was Jack Lane, is it the works that was taken over by Sulzer / Hawthorn Davey as I worked there in the late 1970s. I think the sitre has now been demolished and the Leeds Audi Centre sits on it...

• RMweb Gold

No it’s not the works taken over by Sulzer. The engine Works was further down Jack Lane.  Some of the office buildings are still there but most of the works were flattened and rebuilt by Schneider electrical.

Edited by Andy Ross
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Well it all over now, but we had a very good weekend at York. 

It was good to be back and good to be given the opportunity to show all the progress on the project. With this being such a big long term project it is really good that the show managers allow me to display the layout  as a work in progress at several shows round the UK.

I am also very pleased with the ongoing progress between shows - there is always some additional feature - the Bo-Bo frame for example did fill a big space in the boiler shop along with the fuel tank. 

I also 3d printed some wheel sets for the wheel shop. 

IMG_1033.jpeg.70fe40a7105b3aa0bf256948749eee47.jpeg

IMG_1035.jpeg.b496d233e3c8f1129dfdd402bc9f5629.jpeg

IMG_1042.jpeg.336098b6b5ae95ca2c5342df0d29403d.jpeg

IMG_1038.jpeg.000d92f429d2b62052931764643ab388.jpeg

IMG_1043.jpeg.159c721a13f94829799329dc70b9f3cd.jpeg

IMG_1048.jpeg.fc6a5054831f7b4e9b8516f2d3b1f018.jpeg

All the positive comments were also very much appreciated and helps motivate me to keep going. 

The next job is to finish all the structure - I was able to stock up with 2mm angle at the show so I can finish the roof trusses and North light frames. 

I also need to build the structure for the wheel shop and the section that comes from the boiler shop that would go to the machine shop. 

It is hoped this is all done so I can get the structure painted during the summer in the warmer weather. 

There are a few more photos on the next post. 

Roll on York next year. Swindon and Leeds later this year. 

Andy 

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4