DCC for my layout

RF900

I have have just completed basic wiring for my 16'x9' DCC layout. At the moment I am using a basic Dynamis controller. Whilst it forfills my needs for the moment I can see that it will cause me hassle in the long run so I want a better system. I would like to operate points/signals by DCC at to this end I have 2 DCC accessory decoders although these are not wired up yet. I would like to set routes using a laptop and have the ability to walk around the layout using a wireless controller rather than a fixed wired controller. At the moment I have 14 DCC locos.

What system would be best for me needs.

• RMweb Gold

Lots !

What signals do you have - semaphore or colour light ?

If colour light then Digitrax would be a good choice as they do a module called an SE8C which makes driving colour lights easy and I know it works with RailRoad and Co

If you want wireless and wish to set routes and signals via software, then have a look at the Roco MultiMaus Pro system.

This has a (radio based) wireless MultiMaus Pro handset and you can add other MultiMaus wireless handsets or regular corded MultiMaus handsets as you wish.

The system has a built-in computer interface and comes complete with the RocoMotion software package. Just add a PC.

Roco also sell signal decoders (re-branded Lenz) able to operate 4-aspect colour light signals.

RocoMotion is a version of RR&Co TrainController made for Roco by Freiwald (RR&Co).

If you want the more advanced versions of RR&Co later on, then RocoMotion can be upgraded to those in the usual way (so I understand).

Details here....

Freiwald RR&Co RocoMotion

Roco page -in German

MultiMaus Pro available from Gaugemaster

I'd concur on Digitrax and using the SE8C if using mainly colour light. We use extensively with RailRoad & Co software. Digitrax hansets can be "wireless" in that they use Infra Red. Check with suppliers such as Digitrains but I THINK the full wireless option is only available in the US. But InfraRed works fine as long as you install several receivers around the layout. The SE8C also has an option for semaphore signals, and will switch slow motion points. Digitrax itself is very expandable and is among the top not totally expensive products together with Lenz and probably NCE although I have no experience of driving signals with these two. See also our web site www.lermg.org.

• RMweb Gold

Digitrax hansets can be "wireless" in that they use Infra Red. Check with suppliers such as Digitrains but I THINK the full wireless option is only available in the US. But InfraRed works fine as long as you install several receivers around the layout.

The second-generation Digitrax radio product is still awaiting EU approval. I concur that unless you have very high intermediate backscenes within the layout, Digitrax IR works pretty well, but getting the IR receiver as high as possible, and having white or light coloured walls, can really help bounce the signal around the room to advantage.

It is always said on these threads, but bears repeating every time, that there is a unique "feel" to every system, and you might find some not to your taste, however well-liked they are by the rest of us. When this thread has given you a short-list of systems that will meet your need, go and try them at a competent dealership before investing. Good systems that seem clunky to you are not going to help your modelling.

Archived