Oliver Springs Industrial Spur - BNSF Switching Layout

Liam_uk

Laid the curve from the exchange yard to the Y junction. 

I've also laid the back line with the industry spur. The spur isn't secured yet as I don't know full where it is going till I get the building, I am thinking a lot bashed pikestuff building. This industry will be a manufacturing company with 3 different cars coming, a steel coil car for raw material, a gondola for scrap metal and box car for finished product. 

The bottom line has also been laid to the staging area, with the spur again sat loose. This industry will be a corn syrup distributor. I saw the idea on another layout on YouTube. I was originally thinking 2 spots but now I'm just thinking 1 car at a time. Again this will be another pikestuff building.

IMG_20210118_160705.jpg.61ac8d9e3ba84797f370f791dc5b186c.jpg

IMG_20210118_160652.jpg.085d5102c1053f013dbe6930a9afda05.jpg

I now need to order the buildings for the spurs, and come up with a less crowded plan for the 17ft run on the other side

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Liam_uk said:

Laid the curve from the exchange yard to the Y junction. 

I've also laid the back line with the industry spur. The spur isn't secured yet as I don't know full where it is going till I get the building, I am thinking a lot bashed pikestuff building. This industry will be a manufacturing company with 3 different cars coming, a steel coil car for raw material, a gondola for scrap metal and box car for finished product. 

The bottom line has also been laid to the staging area, with the spur again sat loose. This industry will be a corn syrup distributor. I saw the idea on another layout on YouTube. I was originally thinking 2 spots but now I'm just thinking 1 car at a time. Again this will be another pikestuff building.

IMG_20210118_160705.jpg.61ac8d9e3ba84797f370f791dc5b186c.jpg

IMG_20210118_160652.jpg.085d5102c1053f013dbe6930a9afda05.jpg

I now need to order the buildings for the spurs, and come up with a less crowded plan for the 17ft run on the other side

I like the way this comes across as spacious and doesn’t seem ‘squashed in’ - the industry serving the rear spur will presumably use background buildings to hide the narrow space between the track and the backscene (which is how I read the plans on the first page).  I was trying to guess if the track is Code 75 or Code 100 (it looks like UK Peco)?  Just wondered, Keith.

3 hours ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

I was trying to guess if the track is Code 75 or Code 100 (it looks like UK Peco)?  Just wondered, Keith.

Hi Keith, it is all Code 75 as this is what I have most of and will use on the upper deck so thought I might as well use that for the american layout too

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Progress has been slow, a - because Ive been waiting on buildings to mock up to fix the 2 spurs on the first board, and b - Ive been trying to come up with a less cramped version of the original plan.

I have come up with this plan:

230116192_Tophalf.jpg.8f1d25832d88dd67d0438701a661e3c2.jpg

The line will curve round a 3 to 4ft scenic section before hitting the run round points.

The first industry will be a lumber yard with 2 car spots.

Along the back will be a non rail served warehouse (red).

The manufacturer building will be 1 car spot (a hopper), which will be for plastic beads to manufacture parts. I might also have a box car spot (swapping the hopper for the box car) for finished product.

The Distributor will have 2 car spots, these will be box cars. The small truck yard scene at the side will be for the last distribution by road.

The top left I have put in a grain silo. Mainly as I have seen them and like the look of them and it would fill the area nicely. Although Im not sure if it would look out of place with the industrial buildings.

The lower left spur I have put a cement distributor. It will have 2 car spots. I have order the Walthers Medusa Cement building for this already.

The final spur is as yet undecided. I am in 2 minds at the moment. either a - another industry OR b - move the cement distributor to that spur and remove the "planned" cement spur, and just have a scenic section there.

As always any ideas, suggestions  or feedback welcomed....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As a suggestion for the final spur, you could model a transload facility. Minimum buildings, just an office, and it can take virtually any freight car. https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/33834#comment-346108

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/m/mrr-layouts/2291371.aspx

Edited by z4driver
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Is that a double slip at the left-hand end of the run-round? Highly unlikely in an American industrial park setting.

Also your switching lead for the distribution warehouse & lumber yard is very short, especially as it's the longest spur. That spur needs to be fed from the right-hand end really.

Finally grain silo facilities usually push cars through the loading shed; they are not usually sited right at the end of a spur.

Just my 2p-worth.... 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I agree with Jordan (F-unit mad) regarding the double slip.

Also, I would be inclined to reverse the direction of the Lumber yard and Distributor/Manufacturer spurs. This would enable the main to be used as a switching lead. A more prototypical arrangement. I would also reverse the direction of the bottom right hand spur and use it as a Transload/Team Track.

Hope this helps.

Mal

• Informative/Useful 1

Great stuff. Thank you for the feedback.

I was unsure on the double slip as I only put it there as several points together looked very busy.

I'll do some adjustments tonight and then post the rehash!

• Like 1

Sooooo.......

I had a relook and rethink. I've swapped round the Distribution/Manufacturer Spur. I've also swapped the grain silo spur and made it the lumber yard spur.

I've also moved the cement distributor to the spare gap around the curve (hiding it behind the building).

Taking ideas on board I've taken the 2 spurs on the bottom and made one longer spur for a Transload facility.

1356822697_tophalf2.jpg.f7484baf787bbc2216a756ecaa633446.jpg

Hopefully it is a bit more prototypical as well as having operational interest. It gives 7 or 8 spots for the industries and then the Transload facility. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Liam_uk said:

Ive been trying to come up with a less cramped version of the original plan.

That's what you have now achieved, albeit at the expense of the grain silos. But maybe they can go elsewhere on the layout. 

Edit; don't forget that cement, being a heavier product than grain, travels in shorter covered hoppers. You may well have more than 2 spots available on the cement works spur. ;)

Cement hoppers are often 2-bay, rather than 3- or 4-bay like grain hoppers.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=519983

Edited by F-UnitMad

3 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

That's what you have now achieved, albeit at the expense of the grain silos. But maybe they can go elsewhere on the layout. 

Cheers. I don't think ill have anywhere for it to go as the three sides are now sorted, well 2 are laid and 1 is planned.  Ill just have to do without it :laugh:.

My grain hoppers will have to be used in the exchange yard.

14 hours ago, Liam_uk said:

Sooooo.......

I had a relook and rethink. I've swapped round the Distribution/Manufacturer Spur. I've also swapped the grain silo spur and made it the lumber yard spur.

I've also moved the cement distributor to the spare gap around the curve (hiding it behind the building).

Taking ideas on board I've taken the 2 spurs on the bottom and made one longer spur for a Transload facility.

1356822697_tophalf2.jpg.f7484baf787bbc2216a756ecaa633446.jpg

Hopefully it is a bit more prototypical as well as having operational interest. It gives 7 or 8 spots for the industries and then the Transload facility. 

That looks much better and more prototypical. It really looks like a modern industrial park and would be fun to switch.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, z4driver said:

As a suggestion for the final spur, you could model a transload facility. Minimum buildings, just an office, and it can take virtually any freight car. https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/33834#comment-346108

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/m/mrr-layouts/2291371.aspx

Just lifting one of the photos within that first link....

723933800_HopperNormaCustomers2.jpg.7de0812ce9ce9a32c26ae1c661b51c1d.jpg

Grain cars don't need a big silo facility to appear on a layout. This simple conveyor is a common arrangement for unloading. This can be on the Team Track.

• Like 7

8 hours ago, F-UnitMad said:

Just lifting one of the photos within that first link....

723933800_HopperNormaCustomers2.jpg.7de0812ce9ce9a32c26ae1c661b51c1d.jpg

Grain cars don't need a big silo facility to appear on a layout. This simple conveyor is a common arrangement for unloading. This can be on the Team Track.

Ive had a look through the links and some really good inspiration. Looks like I'll be able to set it up for several different commodities.

• Like 1

First two buildings have arrived:

IMG_20210207_081528.jpg.9be9619f032df353015a86a194e24f15.jpg

The Walthers cement will go in front of the curve to the next bit of track laying, And the pikestuff engine shed will be made into the terminal for corn syrup on the other side that has already been laid..

I have ordered another building for the far side but it is currently somewhere between here and America.

I couldn't believe how large the Walthers box actually is!

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, long island jack said:

There are shops that sell Walthers kits in this country!

Yes I know.

I ordered 3 building kits from Kent Garden Railway, however they contacted to say one was out of stock and would I mind waiting whilst they ordered one from the supplier.....