Bovey Tor

Gedward

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

That way there is more of a 'line in the landscape' feel than a 'flat board with hills'

Agree. This is exactly what we're trying to do here.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Gedward said:

These mock ups show roughly what I've in mind. But will continue the higher terrain around the station and to the right of the goods yard. With a natural slope down towards the canal.

Mockup_01.jpg

Mockup2.jpg

I do like the proposed treatment of the fiddly yard, George. 

Very thought provoking  

Rob. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Point of interest. When sculptors are visualising their full size work, they will often produce a scaled down version. Known as a maquette. This would be used for example, when presenting a potential monument commission to a local council.

I made a few of these early on. It was so much easier to visualise how the final layout could look. It was also very useful to work out the open frame baseboard construction and making sure that points didn't clash with support struts.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Alister_G said:

One hopes it doesn't suffer from the Y2K bug, although if it does, it's a bit late... :)

Al.

If it does, I'll just party like it's 1999. :dancer:

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Some major progress there George, looking forward to seeing the next developments.

Thanks Graham. So this is the first time we've actually done anything to the second board. It's literally been a catch all tip, since the start in 2019.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

It may look like the red planet. But I'm really enjoying sculpting the Dartmoor terrain. Still to add rocks, boulders, stone walls and paths. And we might get glimpse of Bovey Tor.

Terrain5a.jpg

Terrain5b.jpg

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Hi George,

I have read through your topic and find your layout, buildings and back scene really inspirational. I look forward to following further developments.

Best regards

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

This past week we've been completing the the landscaping structure. For distant hills only, have applied a fine neutral scatter material. Then painted that with oil paints. The rest of the vegetation will be scatter grasses, bushes and shrubs etc.

Have also started to embed a number of granite rocks into the clay/soil.

Terrain_7a.jpg

Terrain_7b.jpg

Terrain_7c.jpg

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Looks great!  To quote Eric Morecambe, "You can't see the join" (ref the landscape blending into the backscene).

How long are the oils taking to dry though?

Thanks Graham. Normally drying times are a concern. But I always add a drying medium such as Walnut Alkyd Medium by M. Graham. :)

But for the first time ever, drying time was not an issue, as I was painting directly onto the flock layer. As it absorbs the paint well, meaning I was able to complete the paintng in one day.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2